Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Indeed
    We need Tony Pulis trying to channel Jack Charlton with a Ouija board in an open back truck filled with burning tractor tyres being driven flat out towards a cliff by Mick McCarthy on pills.
    Yes ~ Football is a simple game ~

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    If the board of the FAI got rid of Canham at this point, along with Hill already on the way out, you could make a case for re-approaching previous candidates like Carsley, this time without Canham's ridiculous conditions for taking the job and by allowing them to bring their own backroom staff etc.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    If the board of the FAI got rid of Canham at this point, along with Hill already on the way out, you could make a case for re-approaching previous candidates like Carsley, this time without Canham's ridiculous conditions for taking the job and by allowing them to bring their own backroom staff etc.
    Can we find a, Sugar Daddy / Sugar Mammy ? !

What ever happened to all those, super-wealthy Celtic Tigers ? !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    761 Posts
    Having so many non-Irish based people involved was always going to make that harder. But unfortunately I'm not sure the team has the public profile at the moment that would encourage a Denis O'Brien type to stump up a million a year or whatever. Maybe I'm wrong and they would but just haven't been asked - it wouldn't surprise me.

A lot of possible candidates mentioned will be ruled out due to the salary on offer. But others may have been ruled out by the conditions. Carsley the most likely on that score. If we start again from the beginning minus the conditions and the idiots imposing them, we might have a chance of getting someone decent.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Eamon Sweeney opens his article in the Indo today with a lovely line : "God grant me the confidence of a mediocre Englishman."

Honestly do think that the Hill and Canham double act come across as the sort that thought they'd come over and sort out the Eire at their leisure.

They had jobs in management in the FA. Turns out that doesn't translate to jobs in the leadership in the FAI. Not that these chancers were aware.

The Canham interviews when he was smugly telling us he has a manager lined up demonstrate this. If he were in management he wouldn't have been in a position to speak in such a context. As a leader, he completely botched it and overplayed his hand.

If it was Carsley, their old colleagues in the FA must have really disliked Canham if they easily managed to draw him back in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    At least it's not going to be Noel King.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    A thought just occurred to me... If they have already conceeded that there's an interim in June now and O'Shea has signed a contract for those 2 games, does that mean the search stops now? It's 3 months away. A club generally finds someone in a week or two. What if someone lads in their lap somehow, do they say JOS continues in June cos he has a contract?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    A thought just occurred to me... If they have already conceeded that there's an interim in June now and O'Shea has signed a contract for those 2 games, does that mean the search stops now? It's 3 months away. A club generally finds someone in a week or two. What if someone lads in their lap somehow, do they say JOS continues in June cos he has a contract?
    I think it has to be considered that O'Shea now has an extended interview effectively and if the friendlies give any leeway to do so he'll be installed for the NL as a further extension. So I'd say the manager search could well be scaled down particularly if Canham is moved on, it kind of has to be. There is a considerable financial saving in that too which will have an appeal.

It's not what I think will or should happen but it is an in play possibility now.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I think it has to be considered that O'Shea now has an extended interview effectively and if the friendlies give any leeway to do so he'll be installed for the NL as a further extension. So I'd say the manager search could well be scaled down particularly if Canham is moved on, it kind of has to be. There is a considerable financial saving in that too which will have an appeal.

It's not what I think will or should happen but it is an in play possibility now.
    Crafty....I genuinely shudder to think what a scaled down version of this "manager search" would look like. Why would you say that? On a Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Crafty....I genuinely shudder to think what a scaled down version of this "manager search" would look like. Why would you say that? On a Sunday.
    Might not be so bad OTOH, it'd look a lot like the search up to now only the papers & socials wouldn't be clawing their eyes out looking for the identity of the non existent human.

You know, the one who has club and international experience, will look after the overall well being of our game as head coach, qualify us for tournaments, not have his own backroom team, etc, all for about half of what a middle of the road Championship job pays, with no midfield. That one
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Regarding the interim manager situation. I don’t think we’ve saved any money. JOSH definitely got a pay increase to be interim manager. So we are probably looking at something like 40k per window, or €200k per year. Backroom staff costs remain identical. It was basically swapping like for like guys, level and salary. Paddy McCarthy isn’t any cheaper than Keith Andrews.

So after these fixtures, we’ll have saved about €120k. But the ticket sales for the 3 home friendlies have been much less than what there would have been for a new manager, so there’s a definite a loss there. I’d estimate in the region of €600k on tickets alone (a few thousand tickets per game) - but could easily be double or triple that, not to mention concessions and jerseys and so on.

So the reality is, not having a manager is costing the association a lot…

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Might not be so bad OTOH, it'd look a lot like the search up to now only the papers & socials wouldn't be clawing their eyes out looking for the identity of the non existent human.

You know, the one who has club and international experience, will look after the overall well being of our game as head coach, qualify us for tournaments, not have his own backroom team, etc, all for about half of what a middle of the road Championship job pays, with no midfield. That one
    Solve the Irish housing crisis / Solve the Irish health care system / Bring world peace / Win Miss World / Solve nuclear fusion / All in a few weeks / Win the World Cup on Soccer and Rugby ! ! !

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Regarding the interim manager situation. I don’t think we’ve saved any money. JOSH definitely got a pay increase to be interim manager. So we are probably looking at something like 40k per window, or €200k per year. Backroom staff costs remain identical. It was basically swapping like for like guys, level and salary. Paddy McCarthy isn’t any cheaper than Keith Andrews.

So after these fixtures, we’ll have saved about €120k. But the ticket sales for the 3 home friendlies have been much less than what there would have been for a new manager, so there’s a definite a loss there. I’d estimate in the region of €600k on tickets alone (a few thousand tickets per game) - but could easily be double or triple that, not to mention concessions and jerseys and so on.

So the reality is, not having a manager is costing the association a lot…
    It's going to cost them a lot, lot more. Standalone tickets and the next round of season tickets will continue to diminish in lustre on the back of this unless Canham makes a Lazarus like recovery with an exciting appointment. Being lied to and strung along is bad enough when it is done by lads like Canham who is out of his depth it hits even worse.

At this point, is the best option Hughton as manager with O'Shea in tow? I know Kerr stated on telly he reckoned it wouldn't be Hughton as he wanted time out after the Ghana role and bumpy ending. He could get the guts of 6 months of a break given how Canham has kicked the can.

Given his age, the fact that this gig might not swing around to him again and his experience, he might be willing to pinch his nose to the FAI smell, take the chance to manage his country (the other country of his two parents - quite a feat, in fairness) and there's a chance he improves us like he has done club sides.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Both Ken Early and Kevin Kilbane having their say.

TLDR: "farcical" and "realm of nonsense"

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    So now that John O’Shea has had a go as interim manager and is likely to be interim manager again in June – the FAI (Marc Canham) putting his name forth with like and hope, and O’Shea has expressed his want for the job, nobody in John O’Shea’s “friends circle” will want to step on his toes my putting their name in the hat/ or suggesting somebody else suitable for the position. If the FAI don’t want John O’Shea to get the job, they have now created a situation where not appointing John O’Shea will be perceived as a mistreatment of somebody with “excellent experience across domestic and international football as a player and also as a coach” - Marc Canham’s words. Agree with Kilbane - O'Shea now has leverage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    718 Posts
    We have to look at the positives. If Carsley had taken the job on the FAI's terms, he'd have had to move to Ireland, exacerbating the housing crisis. Really, this is a good thing for the country.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    I do think we’re one win, maybe even one goal, away from John O’Shea being the Ireland manager, despite having no managerial experience and having largely coached in failed regimes both at club level (Reading, Stoke, Birmimgham) and internationally (Crawford’s 21s, Kenny’s senior team).

Positives are, he seems to be considered as a decent if unremarkable coach. Average championship clubs seem to want him around, although not in the driving seat. And he is, by all accounts, a very decent guy.

Saying all that, the 2 game trial was definitely a failure and we were tactically suspect, particularly in the second game and it’s not too surprising we didn’t score…

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    Its possible Canham couldn't announce O'Shea as interim in his staged video because O'Shea now has leverage in this & will know how shambolic the recruitment drive was fully, we public as yet don't I'd say. There's no way Canham didn't at least try to have an interim sorted to lessen the debacle a little bit. They are in touch often, O'Shea was around last week. Should have been achievable you'd think ?

So if that's the case, the next installment could be, what John O'Shea wants. I don't accept O'Shea is the wallflower hoping to finally be asked to dance that some are painting him to be in all this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Both Ken Early and Kevin Kilbane having their say.

TLDR: "farcical" and "realm of nonsense"
    Kilbane saying there's a lot more to come out in the wash about how badly it was run there, is the highlight. We're all ears KK.

27. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Kilbane saying there's a lot more to come out in the wash about how badly it was run there, is the highlight. We're all ears KK.
    The Kill !