Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sammie Szmodics M Blackburn Rovers b.1995

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    It defies all understanding how Kenny can continually overlook Szmodics' claims to a place in the squad. You'd have thought he was exactly the kind of midfield player the team is crying out for.

If nothing else, the Ireland manager should, as a minimum requirement, pick the best players available to him.
    How dare you suggest that Szmodics is more deserving of a place in the squad before Jimmy Jeff Hendrick.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Maybe Kenny feels Szmodics is too much of a risk at international level. He's looking for someone who's been there and done that.

He needs the Jeffy Hendrick experience.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Let’s not be disingenuous - Szmodzics is competing with Smallbone, Knight and maybe McGrath for a place.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    Horses for courses, I think he’s probably more competing with the likes of McGrath and to some degree Smallbone. I’d absolutely have him ahead of McGrath (who doesn’t let us down but doesn’t do much either - a Kenny favourite without doubt) and don’t think Hendrick has much of a future left in an Irish shirt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Let’s not be disingenuous - Szmodzics is competing with Smallbone, Knight and maybe McGrath for a place.
    Sorry - had left my post sitting unposted and didn’t see this when I went back to it. Agree completely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    He completed many passes today.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    McGrath, should not be in contention. Szmodics tearing it up & offering something different

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Horses for courses, I think he’s probably more competing with the likes of McGrath and to some degree Smallbone. I’d absolutely have him ahead of McGrath (who doesn’t let us down but doesn’t do much either - a Kenny favourite without doubt) and don’t think Hendrick has much of a future left in an Irish shirt.
    I thought McGrath let us down against Netherlands. Portugal and Serbia where he could tuck in and then had a little space on the counter were times he has done okay. When the Dutch sat in and we were chasing the game, he was very exposed. There was one stage where he was played through and he didn't have the speed of feet or mind to take the ball with him to create the scoring chance.

In fairness, that is a high bar i.e. chasing a goal against the Dutch and one could say that the expectation is unrealistic but I thought there were another few times where he miscontrolled the ball or couldn't find a pass and he was just exposed in a way that Knight and Browne and other players were not in similar situations on the night.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Szmodzics was impressive yesterday - zero reason for him not to be picked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I thought McGrath let us down against Netherlands. Portugal and Serbia where he could tuck in and then had a little space on the counter were times he has done okay. When the Dutch sat in and we were chasing the game, he was very exposed. There was one stage where he was played through and he didn't have the speed of feet or mind to take the ball with him to create the scoring chance.

In fairness, that is a high bar i.e. chasing a goal against the Dutch and one could say that the expectation is unrealistic but I thought there were another few times where he miscontrolled the ball or couldn't find a pass and he was just exposed in a way that Knight and Browne and other players were not in similar situations on the night.
    No, I agree with you and more or less would see it the same in terms of what he contributes or doesn’t. Just a difference, maybe, in what it means to let the team down. He’s functional but not what is needed in that position. In his defence I think he does usually tend to his defensive duties pretty well and I thought he actually had one of his better games against Portugal.

Szmodics would appear to add a lot more dynamism to the position and a more credible goal threat. He’s playing at a way higher level too so his omission from squads is pretty boggling. Must be something else to it? The biggest thing against Szmodics is that we just don’t know if he truly is the answer but that is only because Kenny hasn’t taken a look. It’s weird.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Weirder still as Kenny has actually called him up before. So he clearly wanted to have a look before the shoulder and passport issues.

Very strange given his form and our lack of creativity in midfield, particularly with Johnston out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I’ll hold my hand up and say I’ve never watched him play apart from highlights. Never excited me for some reason. Perhaps if he keeps going like this over the season I’ll watch a couple of his games… don’t think he will make or break Irelands international future despite the Twitter maniacs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I’ll hold my hand up and say I’ve never watched him play apart from highlights. Never excited me for some reason. Perhaps if he keeps going like this over the season I’ll watch a couple of his games… don’t think he will make or break Irelands international future despite the Twitter maniacs
    Ah it's always good to have one player who the manager should pick but doesn't. Sammie would have dominated the French.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Scores again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    Gets the equalizer for Blackburn away to Ipswich. 5th league goal of the season I reckon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Gets the equalizer for Blackburn away to Ipswich. 5th league goal of the season I reckon.
    Excellent goal it was too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    My concern is that Kenny is so committed to defending his performance and selections, he is not open to admitting mistakes and therefore open to learning and improvement. Its not even a mistake, rather a decision at that point in time. All manangers make mistakes.

On that basis, I fear Kenny will be more focused on developing his narrative for not selecting Sammie , as opposed to making a change and it not being an issue. Having said that many of us were surprised at his ommission for the last squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Is he actually eligible to play for us? He was called-up for the Andorra/ Hungary games in May 2021 with an apparent injury ruling him out. It has since transpired his paperwork wasn't in order with the Lancashire Telegraph reporting in March 2023 that he is finally eligible to play but with no direct quotes from the player or the FAI (https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...l-eligibility/)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Another goal today against Leicester. Currently 2 - 1 down but Moran again looking class.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Playing as a striker it seems.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast