Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Thuggery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    You have to laugh at this sh*t.

Listening to the Sunday Show was pure comic genius.
    Some FF TD DEMANDING that something be done about it.
    Some other gobdaw saying he is SO ANGRY about this.
    Then that moron Hook positively foaming at the mouth (again)
    and then Tom McGurk almost in tears as he waxed lyrical about the fallen hero.

What story was I listening to, I wondered?
    More famine in Africa, hundreds more bodies found in Iraq, the plight of the 2 out of 5 children that live in poverty in this country?
    No, SOMETHING MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT.

Some rugger boy gets tackled and injured in a rugger "game"...
    I'll repeat that again
    Some rugger boy gets tackled and injured in a rugger "game"...

well f*ck me sideways, isn't that a TOTAL DISGRACE and THE MOST SHOCKING THING EVER!
    and we have to have an inquest on the national airwaves.....

A makey up "team" from the tax evading, slave labour employing, gurrier class goes out to New Zealand to play some friendlies and act the maggot and we have morons falling over each other to clamber up the high moral ground when they do exactly what these f*ckers always do on a rugger pitch....

You couldn't make this stuff up...
    Now now Patsh, sure after the game, the...heh heh...ETHOS will take over and they'll all have a good laugh over a few beers. I mean, Danny Grewcock and co could NEVER be compared to that Mike Tyson. Grewcock just happened to discover fingers inserted in his mouth. Reminds me of that story of a fellow complaining that the other fellow's face got in the way of his boot.
    You're right, you couldn't make it up. The episode you mentioned is just another example of self indulgence that permeates RTE and the Turbine.

As for Macy's statement that eggball is less physical after professionalism - not true. Bigger players, more "hits" and more injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Lots more padding for the lads too. I presume that's to give those who weigh less than 20 stone a chance to look fat too.
    Joke sport - over rated, over indulged and over looked by most of the planet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I like the bit where some fat guy hoofs a ball so far into the car park that you can almost hear the sound of a Mercedes windshield breaking, and instead of swearing at him everyone in the crowd applauds in that muffled noise you get when good leather and wool gloves are slapped together.

It's just a pretend sport, Rollerball is a more natural game than anything that involves scrums and lineouts.
    Yeah, a swerve and a pop pass is "genius" - the equivalent in football: swerve and a short pass: is regarded as nothing special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

True.

If a rugby player goes past another, they rave about how 'he dropped the shoulder and showed him the other way, feinted left and went right, selling him the dummy' blah blah blah. Then again, I suppose it is kinda interesting in a silly way, sort of like whales doing ballet.
    Poor whales always tought them elegant creatures - I'd have gone for hippos meself. LOL

I remember Ronaldo being in New Zealand promoting an Under 17 World Cup there a few years ago. Someone tossed an eggball at him and after a split second look of surprise at this strange object, he flipped it up in the air with his right foot and proceeded to do all the tricks we associate with a footie ball with the eggball.

Cue red faces from the Kiwis - the cheek of him to show REAL skill.

On a more serious level, I've nowt againt eggball - if people want to go and kill themselves then that's their choice but, Conor, you wouldn't believe the number of times friends of mine have sold me tickets for and have gone to fund raising events for some poor b@stard who'll spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, needing 24/7 care.
    Last edited by hamish; 28/06/2005 at 5:31 PM.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Go Malcolm go... You supporting the Bucs this season or that whole Salford FC idea?

Now here is a rugby player.
    Stop picking on him, that's the style in the Welsh team nowadays......

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rugby might be a thugs game but compared to Bogball it is positively civilized !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Rugby might be a thugs game but compared to Bogball it is positively civilized !
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with that....

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Now here is a rugby player.

Looks like Puyol's not skipped dinner for a while.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You guys are all pathetic, you're afraid of rugby because you quite simply don't understand it, I don't know what I should have expected from a bunch of boggers though. 'A swerve and a pop pass'-not genius but good rugby if executed properly. Pro football players would have a tough time lasting the pace in pro rugby and keeping up with its physicality.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el tk
    You guys are all pathetic, you're afraid of rugby because you quite simply don't understand it, I don't know what I should have expected from a bunch of boggers though. 'A swerve and a pop pass'-not genius but good rugby if executed properly. Pro football players would have a tough time lasting the pace in pro rugby and keeping up with its physicality.
    Rugger boys are all about physicality, most of them would look like lumbering idiots on a football field, made total micks out of by skill and pace.

Actually, most of them look like lumbering idiots anyway.....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rugger boys are all about physicality, most of them would look like lumbering idiots on a football field, made total micks out of by skill and pace.

Right so you're saying if you set Jason Robinson, Joe Rococoko, even Denis Hickie on a football pitch in acres of space they'd look like lumbering idiots?

Part of rugby is all physical yes but you could hardly say that's Shane Williams' speciality

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey I have been to a few rugby matches and found them entertaining.
    Went to a couple of AIL matches and managed to see Ireland play the All Blacks before Jonah Lomu got ill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Patsh, we wasted our time on this topic before with Soko - these guys are brainwashed - best not try to convince them - they live in a very small, self indulged world. The genius term I used above was a comment from Tony Ward regarding the pop pass and swerve.
    I saw Ward play for Rovers a few times - the last in the old Terryland Park and also for Limerick on other occasions - he was a nifty if average winger at best. Same goes for trio cited above - so they're fast, so what.
    There's a hell of lot more skill involved swerving past or outrunning opposition WITH A BALL AT ONE'S FEET than in a hand grip.
    And el tk calls us pathetic? Gas isn't he? Eggballers are so unused to anything resembling criticism, that, like Soko, they react in such childish fashion. Then it must be frustrating following a game that's below the radar is most of the world. I'm sure they're fascinated by the Lions tour in Finland, Germany, China, USA etc - probably completely unaware of its existence.
    BTW Ive played both games and in a so called eggball college - I found footie more skillful and tougher than anything eggball had to offer.

Needless to say, the "bogger" term was slobbered out - what a silly little boy.

Why can't the eggball freaks feck off and form their version of Footie where they can mix with their own sort. I'm sure all twenty of them would have a jolly old time. LOL
    Last edited by hamish; 07/07/2005 at 9:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Went to a couple of AIL matches and managed to see Ireland play the All Blacks before Jonah Lomu got ill.
    Here was I thinking you were perfect.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    Patsh, we wasted our time on this topic before with Soko - these guys are brainwashed - best not try to convince them - they live in a very small, self indulged world. T
    And el tk calls us pathetic? Gas isn't he? Eggballers are so unused to anything resembling criticism, that, like Soko, they react in such childish fashion. Then it must be frustrating following a game that's below the radar is most of the world. I'm sure they're fascinated by the Lions tour in Finland, Germany, China, USA etc - probably completely unaware of its existence.
    BTW Ive played both games and in a so called eggball college - I found footie more skillful and tougher than anything eggball had to offer.

Needless to say, the "bogger" term was slobbered out - what a silly little boy.

Why can't the eggball freaks feck off and form their version of Footie where they can mix with their own sort. I'm sure all twenty of them would have a jolly old time. LOL
    You didn't get I was ripping the **** with my bogger clichés after you guys brought out all the old rugby ones? Maybe I should lower the intellectual bar slightly

well if it's the self-indulged world kinda guy ya want then here ya go- Basically, roysh, skangerball is, as the name implies, a game for skecks and boggers, vastly inferior to rugby but the tossers are just, loike, too stupid to realise it? enough of that or I'll never be able to return.
    My point about rococoko et al was because someone said they would be made to look like lumbering idiots on a football pitch and I just wanted to point out their limited understanding of rugby- this very same thing applies to you. Rugby is diverse, there are big, physically strong guys and small pacy guys and everything in between yet when you rugby-fearing soccer-loving people go looking for a rugby cliché you pull out that of the prop or the lock forward- never the skill of an out-half or someone like Geordan Murphy or Brian O'Driscoll.

I take my hat off to you and the others- I mean you guys clearly know and understand rugby when you start going on about how bad it is, and your arguements, I mean I've never heard any of them before! not one.

2 final points:
    1) I think Tony Ward is a self-obsessed idiot who overuses the phrase "he had no right to do X,Y, or Z, but he did it"

2) If you don't like being called a bogger maybe don't use the phrases 'gas' (state of you) or 'feck', I mean, seriously, do you have an instrument to play to your stereotypes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How would I have stayed single this long if I was?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by el tk
    You didn't get I was ripping the **** with my bogger clichés after you guys brought out all the old rugby ones? Maybe I should lower the intellectual bar slightly

well if it's the self-indulged world kinda guy ya want then here ya go- Basically, roysh, skangerball is, as the name implies, a game for skecks and boggers, vastly inferior to rugby but the tossers are just, loike, too stupid to realise it? enough of that or I'll never be able to return.
    My point about rococoko et al was because someone said they would be made to look like lumbering idiots on a football pitch and I just wanted to point out their limited understanding of rugby- this very same thing applies to you. Rugby is diverse, there are big, physically strong guys and small pacy guys and everything in between yet when you rugby-fearing soccer-loving people go looking for a rugby cliché you pull out that of the prop or the lock forward- never the skill of an out-half or someone like Geordan Murphy or Brian O'Driscoll.

I take my hat off to you and the others- I mean you guys clearly know and understand rugby when you start going on about how bad it is, and your arguements, I mean I've never heard any of them before! not one.

2 final points:
    1) I think Tony Ward is a self-obsessed idiot who overuses the phrase "he had no right to do X,Y, or Z, but he did it"

2) If you don't like being called a bogger maybe don't use the phrases 'gas' (state of you) or 'feck', I mean, seriously, do you have an instrument to play to your stereotypes?
    Oh dear, oh dear. If YOU are going to indulge in stereotypes, could you really not do better than a poor copy of Paul Howard's badly written and pathetic excuse for humouir in the back page of the Sunday Tribune?

I make my comparision from the viewpoint of participation and observation, which gives me a certain degree of qualification in forming an opinion. Repeat example, which you conviently overlooked, is that it is much more difficult to control a ball and outwit opposition with the ball at one's feet than in one's hand.

Regarding your attempt at colloquailisms from outside the Pale - "feck" and "gas" are also used in Dublin, maybe even in Dublin 4? Travel does broaden the mind, try it.

Bogger? No, not bothered what you call me and my fellow "skangers" (really hip Dublin term ) I quite enjoy the cut and thrust of harmless name calling. Rather ironic that you're lack of knowledge of both games and over emotional response rather deflects that former term onto you. Feel free to call us what you like. As for lowering the intellectual bar, sorry, I am not able to descend to your level. I also didn't request a self indulgent example either - your own opinions are quite suffcient, thank you.

In real newspapers like The Guardian (Robert Kitson) and The Observer (Eddie Butler - former Welsh International) - it is frequently stated that rugby is becoming less diverse with an over emphasis on physicality and scrums etc - witness the humiliation of the Lions outfit by NZ. Williams, the little Welsh chap, was wiped off the grass, wasn't he?
    Will Carling - ok he's a bit of a prat - has stated that today's eggball player is much bigger than players of even ten years ago because of the over emphasis on muscle building and on forward play, resulting in a game - especially in the Northern Hemisphere - with fewer flowing movements and too much static play. Tom McGurk, George Hook, The NZ bloke whose name I cannot recall, have all stated this too. Are they all wrong?

Actually I do watch the occasional game of rugby, since like 70% of those who subscribe to Sky Sports - football fans - I have the opportunity to view it. Basically, we subsidise the promotion of eggball on Sky. You should be grateful.

We football fans have no hesitation in savaging football with regard to its faults and defects and suggesting improvements, both on and off the field. etc. Rugby journalists also have no hesitation in criticising "soccer". It seems that when the boot is on the other foot, we are quickly dropped into little boxes marked "skanger", "ignorant" etc. Now, that's what's REALLY pathetic, even in so called jest.

Finally, as for "fearing" eggball? Nothing to fear in terms of world popularity and participation. There is simply no contest. Also, having played both games in a so called rugby school, I found football far tougher and much more skilfull.
    Last edited by hamish; 07/07/2005 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How would I have stayed single this long if I was?
    As usual, I've no answer to that.

el tk and Soko are a doddle to toy with and take the p!$$ out of compared to you.

I'm patient, CTID, very patient, ONE DAY I will catch you out. LOL

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In real newspapers like The Guardian (Robert Kitson) and The Observer (Eddie Butler - former Welsh International) - it is frequently stated that rugby is becoming less diverse with an over emphasis on physicality and scrums etc - witness the humiliation of the Lions outfit by NZ. Williams, the little Welsh chap, was wiped off the grass, wasn't he?
    Will Carling - ok he's a bit of a prat - has stated that today's eggball player is much bigger than players of even ten years ago because of the over emphasis on muscle building and on forward play, resulting in a game - especially in the Northern Hemisphere - with fewer flowing movements and too much static play. Tom McGurk, George Hook, The NZ bloke whose name I cannot recall, have all stated this too. Are they all wrong?
    His name is Brent Pope... your points are well made as usual....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast