Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1197

Thread: Gavin Bazunu G Southampton b.2002

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,247 Posts
    Can't agree. If it's the keeper and an attacker in the six-yard box, the keeper has to come out tops. If you can't come for that, what can you come for? And remember Bazunu comes for fewer crosses than pretty any other Championship keeper.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Wasn't great for Coventry's goal midweek either - a high cross into the box from out on the byline which was sidefooted home from inside the six-yard box. The player was unmarked so you could blame the defence again, but the keeper surely can't let a high cross travel right the way across the six-yard box without coming for it.

All good experience, touch wood.
    Nonsense.

FWIW, I think Watford’s second today looked soft (and worryingly familiar) and I really think he should be getting a hand to it, but the cross that led to Coventry’s goal really wasn’t the keeper’s ball to take. His right back disappeared without trace and he was beaten from close range from an unmarked attacker. That really was down to terrible defending.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can't agree. If it's the keeper and an attacker in the six-yard box, the keeper has to come out tops. If you can't come for that, what can you come for? And remember Bazunu comes for fewer crosses than pretty any other Championship keeper.
    middle of the 6 yard box maybe, but in % terms I think very few keepers would have gone for that. You just have to trust that your defenders don’t let men go. If you’re watching that in real time you think it’s a relatively routine cross that gets cleared at the back post. In hindsight it’d have been worth for given the rubbish defending, but very few keepers would be coming for that.

The fact(?) that he comes for fewer crosses has little to do with it. More sophistry there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    *going for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Nonsense.

FWIW, I think Watford’s second today looked soft (and worryingly familiar) and I really think he should be getting a hand to it, but the cross that led to Coventry’s goal really wasn’t the keeper’s ball to take. His right back disappeared without trace and he was beaten from close range from an unmarked attacker. That really was down to terrible defending.
    yeah agree 2nd one today is poor on his part. similar ish to the winner against ipswich that seemed to go in in slow motion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    By the way - if you want to see a goalkeeping performance - look at the two keepers in the Burnley/Brighton game today

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    LOL. i was responding to JRG who seems to think everything is southamptons fault. genuinely is it too much to expect your keeper can save that second goal? he needs a confidence boost before the pressure cooker of the play offs . lets hope his form improves in their run in
    I wasn't making any comment on Bazunu and the goal - I was merely pointing out the comments of the commentator - who said exactly the same thing I have said on here before. It is plain to see the problem in Southampton's defence - three players around striker and he had all day to pick his spot and strike the ball.

That said - I do think that Bazunu should have saved it. It is the case that he does seem a split second slow getting down to the ball - but I will repeat - I think this is being caused by the wider problems in the Southampton defence and Bazunu not knowing what the striker is going to do. If someone gets in a challenge in that position then Bazunu makes up the split second - if not then Bazunu has to wait and see where the ball is going, causing a delay in response.

This is why I think Bazunu is in a bad situation for his development (which is what we are concerned about - not Southampton's results) - the more he reacts that fraction of a second late, the more it becomes ingrained in his play and the harder it will be to correct it. He really does need to be in a team that puts defending first - so that his shot-stopping skills are developed. Unfortunately that is not going to happen at Southampton.

Maybe the best thing for Bazunu at this stage is for Southampton to get promoted - buy a new keeper and Bazunu gets to go out on loan to a Championship team - but it would have to be a team that tries to defend properly - e.g. WBA - or to a lesser extent Coventry, Millwall, QPR (if Begovic was to retire) or Hull. Bristol City would be another option - but they have O'Leary - or Sunderland - but they have Patterson.

Just looking at the PL table - if Everton were to get relegated - and Dyche to survive as manager - Pickford would be gone and it would be a good spot for Bazunu.

But I am just surmising here - Bazunu is contracted to Southampton until 2027.
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 14/04/2024 at 9:39 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    . . . Maybe the best thing for Bazunu at this stage is for Southampton to get promoted - buy a new keeper and Bazunu gets to go out on loan to a Championship team - but it would have to be a team that tries to defend properly - e.g. WBA - or to a lesser extent Coventry, Millwall, QPR (if Begovic was to retire) or Hull. Bristol City would be another option - but they have O'Leary - or Sunderland - but they have Patterson.

Just looking at the PL table - if Everton were to get relegated - and Dyche to survive as manager - Pickford would be gone and it would be a good spot for Bazunu.

But I am just surmising here - Bazunu is contracted to Southampton until 2027.
    If Southampton are promoted they'll replace Bazunu. Championship loan clubs could not afford his wages (£50k?), even if subsidised. I doubt any would be interested. Relegated Everton would opt for experience - as Southampton should have done in the first instance.
    PS: As a matter of interest, how much do you reckon Bazunu is worth on the transfer market?

Edit: Bazunu earns between £20k-£25K according to Football League World and Salary Sport. My guess was poor.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 15/04/2024 at 5:42 AM. Reason: wages correction
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    I think there’s merit in elatedscum’s question about the coaching he’s getting. His game has flatlined (at best) when he should be making progress. He’s clearly an exceptional talent, as evidenced by his Portsmouth stint.

I think the season can be summarised as leaking goals but not really to blame, then solid and now leaking goals again and definite questions over his culpability.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think there’s merit in elatedscum’s question about the coaching he’s getting. His game has flatlined (at best) when he should be making progress. He’s clearly an exceptional talent, as evidenced by his Portsmouth stint.
    I have raised this before - his goalkeeping coach at Southampton, Dean Thornton, never played at professional level - he gave up football at 19 because of injuries and went into coaching. Now - he might be very good - but unlike other positions on the pitch - I think that you really need the experience of having played as a goalkeeper at the professional level to be a capable goalkeeping coach.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    If Southampton are promoted they'll replace Bazunu.
    I wouldn't be so sure - Southampton will have limited funds and I think they would have to spend their money on defence and midfield (and striker if Adams leaves) - but with Martin's tactics any goalkeeper will suffer in the PL.

Championship loan clubs could not afford his wages (£50k?), even if subsidised. I doubt any would be interested.
    My understanding is that he is on £20K a week - which is the top end of the Championship wages.

Relegated Everton would opt for experience - as Southampton should have done in the first instance.
    Southampton had experience and it was getting them nowhere - in fact they took a conscious decision to get younger last season - they problem is that you need a spine of experience running through the team and they took that out. 21 is very young for a PL keeper - but as S..88 said - Bazunu was exceptional at Portsmouth. But a season in the championship on loan might have been worthwhile. However, when Southampton came in with the £10m offer - Man City were going to cash in.

PS: As a matter of interest, how much do you reckon Bazunu is worth on the transfer market?
    Its hard to predict - and I don't really care to be honest - his value is irrelevant to the Irish team - his ability is what is important. I don't see him leaving Southampton for the foreseeable future thought with another 3 years on his contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    I have raised this before - his goalkeeping coach at Southampton, Dean Thornton, never played at professional level - he gave up football at 19 because of injuries and went into coaching. Now - he might be very good - but unlike other positions on the pitch - I think that you really need the experience of having played as a goalkeeper at the professional level to be a capable goalkeeping coach.
    Let's take a look at the goalkeeping coaches in the Premier League
    Team Goalkeeping Coach
    Arsenal Iñaki Caña
    Aston Villa Francisco Javier Garcia
    Bournemouth Neil Moss
    Brentford Manu Sotelo
    Brighton & Hove Albion Ricard Segarra
    Burnley Jelle ten Rouwelaar
    Chelsea Hilario
    Crystal Palace Dean Kiely
    Everton Alan Kelly, Jnr
    Fulham Hugo Olivera
    Liverpool John Achterberg
    Luton Town Kevin Pilkington
    Manchester City Richard Wright
    Manchester United Richard Hartis
    Newcastle United Adam Bartlett
    Nottingham Forest Rui Barbosa
    Sheffield United Matt Duke
    Tottenham Hotspur Rob Burch
    West Ham United Xavi Valero
    Wolverhampton Wanderers Neil Cutler
    Not a lot of Premier League experience there, quite a few of them don't have wikipedia pages, so their careers weren't enough to write about
    The current head of goalkeeping at the FA, Tim Dittmer, has underage caps for Ireland, don't think he ever played at a higher level than non league
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Liverpool’s assistant goalkeeping coach won over 100 caps for Brazil. Do the assistant coaches have higher level experience?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,247 Posts
    Klopp, Emery, Postecoglu, Howe and others never played Premier League either. Wouldn't trust them fellas

And don't get me started on Mourinho, Hodgson, Villas-Boas and Brian Kerr...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Where did I say 'Premier League experience' ?

here is the quote 'I think that you really need the experience of having played as a goalkeeper at the professional level to be a capable goalkeeping coach'

Futhermore - I didn't rule it out the possibility of a non-professional goalkeeper becoming a good goalkeeping coach. I was referring specifically to Dean Thornton - who does not appear to be doing a particularly good job with Bazunu.

If the stats guys are going to throw crap then at least make it relevant crap.
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 15/04/2024 at 4:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    Where did I say 'Premier League experience' ?

here is the quote 'I think that you really need the experience of having played as a goalkeeper at the professional level to be a capable goalkeeping coach'

Futhermore - I didn't rule it out the possibility of a non-professional goalkeeper becoming a good goalkeeping coach. I was referring specifically to Dean Thornton - who does not appear to be doing a particularly good job with Bazunu.

If the stats guys are going to throw crap then at least make it relevant crap.
    Not a lot professional level experience in that list either, as mentioned by the lack of wikipedia entries for a few of them
    And I made a point that Dittmer never played above non league level
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,247 Posts
    But is Wikipedia the measure of a good goalkeeping coach?

It's becoming more common for coaches to have less, or less impressive, professional experience.

The Premier League is a billion pound, hugely competitive, industry. I don't think they're routinely hiring beginners in key positions. Or if they are, then a lack of a Wikipedia entry doesn't define it. Let them be judged on their own merits
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 15/04/2024 at 6:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    The point I was making was that their careers weren't notable enough for a Wikipedia entry, but they're still top quality coaches

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,247 Posts
    Fairy nuff; I think I'm agreeing with you so! Apologies!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Not a lot professional level experience in that list either, as mentioned by the lack of wikipedia entries for a few of them
    Not true - I think all of the above list of goalkeeping coaches were professional goalkeepers during their careers.