Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supporters of 'other' English/Scottish clubs

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Supporters of 'other' English/Scottish clubs

As the Secretary of a very vibrant and strong Nottingham Forest Supporters Club in Ireland I'm always interested to know whether other clubs such as our own have well run supporters clubs.

We have a great relationship with the Club itself and we are made to feel like it is ours and that we're not outsiders.

Anyone else involved in running a branch over here?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    EDIT: Cranky Éanna
    Last edited by Éanna; 26/05/2005 at 4:41 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eanna will you ever cop on and get over yourself. This is the World Football Forum where life does exist outside Irish Football.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    Irish football not good enough for you?
    Ah that old chestnut

I've been to most League of Ireland grounds actually and followed Bray Wanderers home and away for years. Don't get down to the Carlisle as often as I used to but still call myself a supporter.

I don't need to justify to you or anyone else why I support Nottingham Forest, it is both a passion and a hobby and the breaks away to Nottingham are a great way of making new friends and the makings of great weekends.

If we're going to go down the road of the high and mighty I should really then be supporting Vale View Shankill or RSFC as I'm from Shankill. Actually better still stick to supporting Cuala and Dublin GAA as soccer is after all the 'foreign game'

Cheap shots like that are beneath proper football supporters. Supporting an English Club and a League of Ireland club doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. A bit of maturity would be nice my friend.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Agreed some people on here need to get real and realise English football clubs will always be more supported than the league of Ireland.
    MOT

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dublin Red
    Supporting an English Club and a League of Ireland club doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.
    No, of course it doesn't. But a supporters club? FFS

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    Agreed some people on here need to get real and realise English football clubs will always be more supported than the league of Ireland.
    Oh well, we'll definitely progress with an attitude like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    What has this got to do with the thread??? Suppose you'll lock this one soon too. If you don't have an opinon on the thread you should keep off it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No, of course it doesn't. But a supporters club? FFS
    The supporters club has been in existence since 1989. It has a membership close to 100 and a mailing list in excess of that number. As a club we have access to Nottingham Forest, the board, manager, players, official supporters club the lot. We arrange trips, match tickets, meetings with players, have an end of season dinner and basically provide a vehicle for supporting Nottingham Forest.

Again I cannot understand you're attitude or the mentality you have. It's people like yourself that give League of Ireland supporters a bad name. You have a great product whats with the bigotry towards other people's clubs???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Maybe you should stick to the Irish League forums on this board if you're just gonna take the **** out of people posting on the world football forums.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever
    What has this got to do with the thread??? Suppose you'll lock this one soon too. If you don't have an opinon on the thread you should keep off it.
    It has everything to do with it- as you can see, I do have an opinion on the thread, quite a strong one actually. As for the childish comment about locking the thread- grow up

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The supporters club has been in existence since 1989. It has a membership close to 100 and a mailing list in excess of that number. As a club we have access to Nottingham Forest, the board, manager, players, official supporters club the lot. We arrange trips, match tickets, meetings with players, have an end of season dinner and basically provide a vehicle for supporting Nottingham Forest.
    I didn't ask for it's history at all

Again I cannot understand you're attitude or the mentality you have. It's people like yourself that give League of Ireland supporters a bad name. You have a great product whats with the bigotry towards other people's clubs???
    Bigotry? What bigotry is this then? I am simply asking why anyone woul get so involved in a team in another country that they would set up a Supporters Club? I have no problem with people supporting teams in other countries, I'm a huge Real Madrid fan and have been for years, but any real football fan will support their own first and then have an interest in others after that. Unless of course, you are actually from Nottingham and are living in Dublin, in which case it makes perfect sense.........

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    Maybe you should stick to the Irish League forums on this board if you're just gonna take the **** out of people posting on the world football forums.
    when did i take the ****?

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ding ding, Round Three!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    It has everything to do with it- as you can see, I do have an opinion on the thread, quite a strong one actually. As for the childish comment about locking the thread- grow up

It has NOTHING to do with it. Just the usual sh*te talk again. Stay in the Eircom threads if you're not interested in British football.

Then you give people grief about not supporting football in their own country. What about you not even supporting your own country?????
    Last edited by Hibs4Ever; 26/05/2005 at 2:09 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eanna, surely this corresponds to trolling as (as said before) this is the world football forum, where you shouldn't have to defend your basic interests when trying to spark a discussion founded on them. How would you like it if i went to the CCFC forum when someone asked about your supporters' club and responded the way you did with The Dublin Red - "Longford football not good enough for you"?
    Aside from having half of cork ripping the p!ss out of me it still would constitute trolling given that it's a provocative post in a forum in which you have little constructive interest.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

Bigotry? What bigotry is this then? I am simply asking why anyone woul get so involved in a team in another country that they would set up a Supporters Club? I have no problem with people supporting teams in other countries, I'm a huge Real Madrid fan and have been for years, but any real football fan will support their own first and then have an interest in others after that. Unless of course, you are actually from Nottingham and are living in Dublin, in which case it makes perfect sense.........

You're constantly at it. More often than not if a thread starts asking what club does a subscriber support in england/scotland/continent you throw your little piece in about Irish soccer and/or questioning why people support these clubs. It's none of your bloddy business why they do or do not do so. It's their choice. It's people like you who give the eL fans a bad name.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What utter rubbish...

So now you have to support the club or team thats nearest to you In that case I'm a traitor to Dublin by supporting a team from Wicklow.

This thing of supporting 'your own' is complete tosh. I'm involved with Nottingham Forest becasue it is a passion and a very enjoyable hobby. I've made many friends both Irish and English from my support of Nottingham Forest and the trips to the City Ground do break up the long winter months. Its my choice and as far as I known freedom of choice is still here???

Your logic is warped and utterly devoid of any logic. Ireland for the Irish eh???

Why no support our own game only, avoid the 'foreign games' By the way I'm a big Dublin GAA supporter.... Does that make me more of an Irishman than you?????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Gents, can we cool it down here? Éanna rather like a religious fundementalist your preaching of eL dogma could actually turn people away. We should seek to be inclusive of all types of fan (and yes I know you are not suggesting to leave people who do not put eL first out in the cold) but questioning other people's choices in club support and their order of preference and priority will turn people off the eL and make it look like a closed bunch of fanatics (please someone don't reply saying "but it is").

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    You're constantly at it. More often than not if a thread starts asking what club does a subscriber support in england/scotland/continent you throw your little piece in about Irish soccer and/or questioning why people support these clubs. It's none of your bloddy business why they do or do not do so. It's their choice. It's people like you who give the eL fans a bad name.
    I throw in my little piece about irish soccer? What's wrong with that? Any time there's a thread on who people support, I always mention the other teams I look out for- do a search, you'll find the proof.

As for asking WHY they support these clubs, its because I'm genuinely interested. I cannot understand why somebody would just "pick" a club to support and get so involved that they set up a supporters club. It seems madness to me, but maybe one of you can explain- is there a point here that I'm missing?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This thing of supporting 'your own' is complete tosh. I'm involved with Nottingham Forest becasue it is a passion and a very enjoyable hobby. I've made many friends both Irish and English from my support of Nottingham Forest and the trips to the City Ground do break up the long winter months. Its my choice and as far as I known freedom of choice is still here???
    Of course you have freedom of choice, I never said you didn't. I'm just asking WHY you would support a team like Forrest over a team in Irish football. It doesn't make sense to me, but if you can enlighten me, please go ahead.

Your logic is warped and utterly devoid of any logic.
    Far from being devoid of logic, it would most likely be viewed as run of the mill, common sense anywhere except Ireland.

Ireland for the Irish eh???
    No, I'd just like to see Irish/people living in Ireland people supporting Irish football. Going by your "logic" maybe we should all vote in the British General Elections because our own politicians aren't good enough?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast