Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most international caps ever

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts

Most international caps ever

Bet you don't know without checking the attached link. I'll give you a clue. He's from Saudi Arabia - there, that was a give away

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/century.html

Who is the highest European ?

And the most capped British player (that's an easy one).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lothar Matthieus

Bobby Charlton

Didn't the Saudi play in last WC
    MOT

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Bet you don't know without checking the attached link. I'll give you a clue. He's from Saudi Arabia - there, that was a give away

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/century.html

Who is the highest European ?

And the most capped British player (that's an easy one).
    without looking- its either said al owairan, or the keeper mohammed al deayea?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    WOOHOO! Go me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    Saeed al Owairin. That goal against Sweden in the second round of USA 1994. I will never forget that memory of my youth. Could never forget his name.

Brendan

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear
    Saeed al Owairin. That goal against Sweden in the second round of USA 1994. I will never forget that memory of my youth. Could never forget his name.

Brendan
    yeah, unbelievable that goal. magic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Cant believe I see Ali Daei above Ferenc Puskas. I know its for goals scored but hell what a shock. For me the greatest player in the world. I wouldn't ever think to mention both in the same breath. On the greats Di Stefano deserves a mention and runs Puskas close. He played a few games for Barcelona before Franco intervened. To think it was arranged that he would play alternate years for Real Madrid and Barcalona until Barca said feic it. Real can have him and Real rose to become the greatest club team ever. Another player in that side was the Spaniard Gento. What I wouldn't have done to see these boys play.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thomas Ravelli, recent legendary swedish gk, is the european player with most international caps ever. I'm sure about it, cause a quiz about sport played months ago
    I'm 21, I'm italian, but I love Ireland, and I always support the irish national team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Well you may get back to them because that is not correct but I thought it was Thomas too!!

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Cant believe I see Ali Daei above Ferenc Puskas. I know its for goals scored but hell what a shock. For me the greatest player in the world. I wouldn't ever think to mention both in the same breath. On the greats Di Stefano deserves a mention and runs Puskas close. He played a few games for Barcelona before Franco intervened. To think it was arranged that he would play alternate years for Real Madrid and Barcalona until Barca said feic it. Real can have him and Real rose to become the greatest club team ever. Another player in that side was the Spaniard Gento. What I wouldn't have done to see these boys play.

Brendan
    Yeah, that's the anomaly of totally different qualities in the FIFA Continental regions. I know for their France 98 qualifiers they racked up some ridiculous scores. Karim Bagheri who was also in that team has 47 goals in 80 caps and I think he's only an attacking midfielder!

Speaking of which one player who's goal tally I have always admired is Zlatko Zahovic. He managed 35 goals in 80 caps playing in attacking midfield for Slovenia. This is impressive as he did this in Europe in a pretty poor team and I think he had hit 30 goals when he was only in 60 something caps, he ruined his goals to game ratio by coming back when the manager who he had a bust up with in 2002 Katanec was sacked. He barely scored any in his last 20 caps as his ability and his team's quality waned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Well you may get back to them because that is not correct but I thought it was Thomas too!!

Brendan
    I would have thought everyone knew it was Matthaus. His achievement of 150 caps is made all the more amazing as for several years there (around Euro '96) he was not in the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yes, you're right,
    Ravelli earned 143 caps, and Lothar earned 150 on euro2000 before the retirement...

I think that quiz was precedent of 2000...
    I'm 21, I'm italian, but I love Ireland, and I always support the irish national team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycuna
    yes, you're right,
    Ravelli earned 143 caps, and Lothar earned 150 on euro2000 before the retirement...

I think that quiz was precedent of 2000...
    No excuse. Not good enough. Go get the quizmaster and win the prizes by default. A good quizmaster can not call himself a quizmaster if indeed the answers he has to the questions are not correct.

I'm not a quizmaster. Never have been

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Yeah, that's the anomaly of totally different qualities in the FIFA Continental regions. .
    Good point and an excellent vindication of my favourite Puskas. Hence the reason Daei and Puskas could never be contained in the same sentence. Except in this case of course as I give the reasoning they could not be contained in the same sentence. In a way the sentence doesn't therefore exist.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Good point and an excellent vindication of my favourite Puskas. Hence the reason Daei and Puskas could never be contained in the same sentence. Except in this case of course as I give the reasoning they could not be contained in the same sentence. In a way the sentence doesn't therefore exist.

Brendan
    Of course that is not to bash Daei, I mean what can be do but hammer them in? If you scan over his goals scored though they are indeed against mediocre Asian teams a continent where Iran rank among one of the powerhouses. As far as I remembeer he was at Bayern though. But while Daei can lash four past the likes of Guam, Puskas could do the same thing in a European Cup final (or was it only 3 he scored v Eintracht Frankfurt in that final?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I will never forget that memory of my youth. Could never forget his name.

Brendan
    Didn't know he had Irish blood.....
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Of course that is not to bash Daei, I mean what can be do but hammer them in? If you scan over his goals scored though they are indeed against mediocre Asian teams a continent where Iran rank among one of the powerhouses. As far as I remembeer he was at Bayern though. But while Daei can lash four past the likes of Guam, Puskas could do the same thing in a European Cup final (or was it only 3 he scored v Eintracht Frankfurt in that final?).
    Was it Schalke 04. Maybe it was Bayern but not near as effective. Still he was a national hero. Not such a bad inclusion on one's CV even if its in Iran.

Puskas was a particularly small man but stocky and very strong. His power from the video's was phenomenal. He was part of an excellent Hungarian national side that should rightfully have been world champion's. That was one thing you got with communism. A damn good football team. Who was his team in Hungary. Am I right in thinking it was Ferencevaros?

Brendan

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Was it Schalke 04. Maybe it was Bayern but not near as effective. Still he was a national hero. Not such a bad inclusion on one's CV even if its in Iran.
    He played with hertha Berlin.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Jayz, I was born in the wrong country! Al Daeyea was appalling! I see he didn't play for nearly two years after though! And before the World Cup he was talking about hoping to impress Manchester United and get a move!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycuna
    Thomas Ravelli, recent legendary swedish gk, is the european player with most international caps ever. I'm sure about it, cause a quiz about sport played months ago
    yeah, I remember when City played IFK Goteborg at the cross, I was hoping to see him play, but they left him on the bench. Not that he'd have saved the winning goal anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast