Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Moldova - Friday 6th October 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Think I'd be using this game to blood Declan rice,hes likely our future box to box midfielder.we're short at the moment with injuries to McCarthy and Arter and the reality is probably that qualification has gotten away from us in this campaign.i would have given him a run out with Meyer whose been exceptional whenever called upon,chance to build his confidence with little to lose
    Oddly, he isn't even in the provisional squad despite having racked up more EPL appearances now than when he was last included in a training squad in May.

When is the squad to be whittled down?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    When is the squad to be whittled down?
    Today supposedly, although I trust very little from this article. - http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-36184748.html

The Ireland manager will trim it further today, hoping he will make the decisions, not the medics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Squad finalised, Westwood (rib) and Doyle (retirement) are the only players to leave the provisional squad so far, with more to be assessed this week: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/oneil...va-wales-games

Republic of Ireland MNT Squad
    Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Rob Elliot (Newcastle United), Colin Doyle (Bradford City)

Defenders: Cyrus Christie (Middlesbrough), Richard Keogh (Derby County), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), John O'Shea (Sunderland), Kevin Long, Stephen Ward (Burnley)

Midfielders:
    Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McCarthy (Everton), David Meyler (Hull City), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O'Kane (Leeds United), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Jonathan Hayes (Celtic), Callum O'Dowda (Bristol City), Daryl Horgan (Preston North End)

Forwards:
    Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Scott Hogan (Aston Villa), Aiden O'Brien (Millwall)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Squad finalised, Westwood (rib) and Doyle (retirement) are the only players to leave the provisional squad so far, with more to be assessed this week: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/oneil...va-wales-games
    There's to be another update at 5PM this evening and the press conference will be broadcast live on RTÉ Player: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...o-give-update/

Edit: The press conference will be live here: https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/3/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Edit: The press conference will be live here: https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/3/
    They seem to have scrapped this idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    They seem to have scrapped this idea.
    Seems so. There are updates on the FAI's Twitter feed though. O'Neill says that McGoldrick has had a scan and seems OK. McCarthy hasn't been ruled out just yet either.

According to photos, Arter and McCarthy took part in (at least some form of) training today.

Pretty certain that's McCarthy in the foreground of the second photo.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Photos (from the FAI's Twitter feed) of Hogan and Maguire in training earlier today:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That definitely was McCarthy training earlier as there's another photo of him in this tweet:

Quote Originally Posted by FAI
    That's it for today. Over 49,000 tickets for Friday's game have been sold already. Remaining tickets available now: https://www1.ticketmaster.ie/fifa-wo...atid=741&bba=1

49,000 tickets have been sold, so the game is nearly a sell-out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    That definitely was McCarthy training earlier as there's another photo of him in this tweet:

49,000 tickets have been sold, so the game is nearly a sell-out.
    Word this morning (in the Daily Mail) that O'Neill could play McCarthy. Seriously hoping this doesn't happen. Not because I dislike JM (which I don't) but because it would be a huge risk to play a player who has not kicked a ball all season and a real kick in the teeth to those midfielders in the squad who have.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Word this morning (in the Daily Mail) that O'Neill could play McCarthy. Seriously hoping this doesn't happen. Not because I dislike JM (which I don't) but because it would be a huge risk to play a player who has not kicked a ball all season and a real kick in the teeth to those midfielders in the squad who have.
    Crazy if he starts McCarthy with not a jot of football played in months and only just back from his latest injury. Myler in there for me on Friday anyway, whatever about Mondays game then.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    I'm guessing the start 11 will be
    Randy
    Christe Duffy Clark ward
    McGeady, Jeff, Wes, Meyler, Arter
    Long
    Anyone agree?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Shane Long provides Ireland boost after coming through training': https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...ough-training/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Shane Long has taken part in Republic of Ireland training to provide manager Martin O’Neill with a boost ahead of Friday’s World Cup qualifier against Moldova at the Aviva Stadium. James McCarthy and Harry Arter were also part of today’s session as all 30 players featured under the watchful eye of O’Neill.

Long had a thigh problem but looks set to be okay for the game in Dublin. Arter sat out Bournemouth's scoreless draw with Leicester at the weekend but was involved yesterday in a restricted capacity and also came through today so the Irish boss should be able to call upon the midfielder. McCarthy continues to work day-to-day but doubts remain as he has failed to feature in the Premier League this season.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Randy
    Christe Duffy Clark ward
    Long
    Anyone agree?
    Not sure. I agree on the 11 but if McGeady gets free rein we look very narrow. Would like to see another wide option. A front three of McGeady, Long and Maguire would be lovely, given that is where Maguire has been for Preston.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Randy
    Christe Duffy Clark ward
    Long
    Anyone agree?
    Hendrick is ruled out, isn't he?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Hendrick is ruled out, isn't he?
    don't think he is. Long was reported this morning as being the only major injury concern but I see he came through training today.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    I can see Wes playing V Moldova but not starting against Wales. I hope I’m wrong but if O’Neill does that and we lose, it’ll be his own fault.

Of course if he does that and we win he’ll be a tactical genius. I always despair when Wes is left out though. Whelan no doubt will be in there somewhere. I like Whelan but his time is up I think
    Last edited by Fixer82; 04/10/2017 at 1:55 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Randy
    Christe Duffy Clark ward
    Long
    Anyone agree?

I reckon he might play Daryl Murphy instead of McGeady and Conor Hourihane may be an option? He will stick to his tried and tested with Hogan or Maguire possible subs. There is no hope of the manager putting on real strikers that may cause something to happen in the box.

And his team for Wales will be along the same lines with Brady, Walters & McClean coming straight back into the line up no matter what the team does on Friday!

Even if we had a 17 year old Ben Woodburn or a 16-year-old Ethan Ampadu he would only have them in the squad, but not really be prepared to take a chance and play them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    Crazy if he starts McCarthy with not a jot of football played in months and only just back from his latest injury. Myler in there for me on Friday anyway, whatever about Mondays game then.
    If he's fit though, is there anything to be said for giving him some minutes against Moldova with a view to starting him in Cardiff? Just say we are 2-0 up at half time, maybe bring him on for the second half. He played well in some crunch games at the end of the last campaign and against Italy at the Euros, it could be his kind of night but I totally get your reservations.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Randolph (no problems)

Christie (shouldn't be starting but for some reason Doherty can't get a look in.)
    Duffy (no problems)
    Clark (no problems)
    Ward (no problems)

The only time we look a unit under MON is 4-4-f-2

McClean (no problems)
    Hourihane (not going to happen, Whelan will play safe choice)
    Meyler (50/50 with Arter/Hendrick. McCarthy/O'Kane prob not going to be considered)
    Brady (no problems)

Murphy (no problems)
    Long (no problems)

Wes misses out but for gods sake get him on the pitch 60-70 min mark.

It might not be enough but theres no evidence that throwing Maguire, Hogan, Horgan, O'Dowda, O'Brien, McGoldrick etc will do/would have done any better than the lads have done so far.
    We're lacking a talisman, someone to drag performances out of the other players and not only worry about their own game. I like Meylers attitude, he's not the worlds greatest footballer but I think the positivity he brings trumps the limitations.
    We have enough to win the next two games, but I wouldn't be suprised by 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 pts. It all depends on which Irish 'squad' shows up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bar injury or suspension, Hendrick will start both matches for sure I think.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast