Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Are they staying in the Hyatt Centric in Times SQ again? I would not mind taking a selfie with O'Kane. Have a soft spot for Humanists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Form training pics it looks like they'll still be wearing Umbro kit for Mexico game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Could be psychological. "Umbro" means "Stay away I have bird-flu" in Spanish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Liam Kelly not likely to be involved according to The Times but Arter will be in Dublin when the team get back from the U.S. - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...tria-1.3102179

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    James McClean goes full Towk - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...nals-1.3102022

Quote Originally Posted by James McClean
    What motivation do you need to play for your country? I’m fit and ready and available for selection.

It gets on my nerves when players come in and they’re not fit for games, but they are for the club games at the weekend. That gets to me.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Form training pics it looks like they'll still be wearing Umbro kit for Mexico game
    The new deal with New Balance doesn't properly commence until August, so we'll wear Umbro gear until then: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/new-b...l-kit-supplier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    You're wrong Del. TOWK would consider McClean to be a plastic paddy from another country!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I was just thinking about Ryan Meara there, as I recall he was brought in to train with the squad back in 2014 before our game with Portugal in New York. No training call-up for him this time though. He seems to be playing with New York Red Bulls II now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    You'd wonder has he particular players in mind... Hard to know. It is the kind of a clichéd thing that a player might say in an interview to emphasise his own desire and commitment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Liam Kelly not likely to be involved according to The Times but Arter will be in Dublin when the team get back from the U.S. - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...tria-1.3102179
    That's somewhat disappointing as Kelly looks a really exciting and self-assured prospect who will offer something totally different when he's finally given his chance at senior level.

Of Marc Wilson and Darron Gibson's hopes of being in the squad after the Mexico game, O'Neill seemed pessimistic and said:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin O'Neill
    Once we finish this [Mexico] game [we will] see how people come through.

Obviously Wilson, great as a person, but he hasn’t played that much. That’s the point. We do have some boys who have played more games at this minute and that might become very important in the middle of June when you haven’t played in a long time. Darron... the same. I wouldn’t dismiss people from my thoughts but it’s just the number of minutes.
    Isn't a lack of minutes the very reason O'Neill brought, say, Randolph to the US though; to give him game-time as he hasn't been playing much for West Ham in the latter stages of the EPL season?

Why didn't O'Neill bring Wilson (who actually played in West Brom's final four games of the season and looked physically OK) along for the Mexico game if he thinks Wilson is short of action too, especially considering Wilson is such a versatile player and offers cover in a number of positions, including on the left and right of defence, which are positions where we're not well-stocked?

Also, Gibson played in 12 games for Sunderland this season since the beginning of February, so I'm not sure the "lack of minutes" rationale really adds up there either. Even if Gibson hasn't played enough minutes in O'Neill's opinion, why not have brought him along anyway to give him some extra game-time, if that is indeed what Gibson needs?

Maybe the above was just O'Neill's way of letting two players who've been sidelined to the squad's periphery down gently.

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Hang on, so we already know James is finished from past threads.

Does this mean TOWK is finished too?

RIP TOWK.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I was thinking the very same about Wilson & Gibson, Danny. It makes no sense really. It would have been no harm for both of them to get minutes in America even if they were cut from final squad for Austria I think, if just to phase them back into the picture now that their club/fitness situations look a bit better than previously.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I would say its Arter to be honest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    What's the actual KO time (Irish) for the Mexico game? Most places are saying 1am but Eirsport aren't starting their coverage until 1.30am.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Ko is defo 1am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    http://www.the42.ie/james-mcclean-in...17921-May2017/

What raises my eyebrows is the statement that he's been carrying an assortment of injuries for several weeks, yet has continued to make himself available for Bournemouth right up until a meaningless game on the final day of the season

I just don't get the impression Ireland are a priority like Bournemouth is to him.

He can't/won't play through the pain barrier for us.

I assume he's available for selection for the Uruguay game? Or if he hasn't been training then he'll probably be on the bench. And as I predicted weeks ago, fit as a fiddle for Austria.

Jon Walters, too, has started what, 2 league games all year?

How could he be too tired to go to the US? He could do with the minutes over there, considering the fact he always plays 90 minutes for us - which he is scarcely accustomed to these days at club level.

Glenn Whelan going to a wedding?! Deja vu. Three years ago the Stoke lads went to Marc Wilson's brother's wedding, didn't they?

Fair play to Cyrus Christie for working on his fitness over the interim anyway. I like what O'Neill said about his professionalism.

If only everyone could follow his lead, and that of McClean and Randolph.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    *By all year, I mean 2017.

*And by "always plays 90 minutes for us", I mean competitive games - obviously.

I'd edit the last comment but when I go to the edit function on my phone it deletes the comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    What's the actual KO time (Irish) for the Mexico game? Most places are saying 1am but Eirsport aren't starting their coverage until 1.30am.
    I haven't heard anything other than a 1AM (Irish time) kick-off. LiveScore, for example, says kick-off is at 1AM: http://www.livescore.com/soccer/2017-06-02/

Eirsport's coverage will start at 1AM though, according to this: https://www.eirsport.ie/tv-guides

That's a bit odd surely... Will there be no pre-match discussion then? Just straight to kick-off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Arter missed Bournemouth's last game of the season due to an injury that had forced him off against Burnley in the previous game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    That's a bit odd surely... Will there be no pre-match discussion then? Just straight to kick-off?
    Maybe they're just piggybacking the Premier Sports coverage, it seems they didn't secure they rights to show it until pretty late. It's probably not worth their while paying a panel for a friendly match at such an ungodly hour for Irish viewers.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast