Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Why are Wales not using the Millennium for their home game against Ireland? Did they get a special package deal on Cardiff city stadium?
    You'd have thought that post Euros, there would be a groundswell of support for the football team.
    Now with these WC qualifiers between the two teams, there is just the minimum ticket allocation for away supporters, which just hurts both sets of fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    It's Principality Stadium to you. I think they have a Kenny Chesney concert scheduled for Oct 9. RyanAir are adding flights by the drove as thousands upon thousands of Irish fans are expected to attend.
    http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...-35530030.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Why are Wales not using the Millennium for their home game against Ireland? Did they get a special package deal on Cardiff city stadium?
    You'd have thought that post Euros, there would be a groundswell of support for the football team.
    Now with these WC qualifiers between the two teams, there is just the minimum ticket allocation for away supporters, which just hurts both sets of fans.
    Pretty sure it was to do with lack of a proper football atmosphere in the bigger rugby stadium, but there had been talk last November of the Principality Stadium potentially hosting the Ireland game nevertheless: https://www.balls.ie/football/wales-...cardiff-351992

Quote Originally Posted by Balls.ie
    Since 2011, the home of Welsh football has been the Cardiff City Stadium, where it's near 35,000 capacity insures a proper football atmosphere at the matches, something the players and fans alike have grown very fond of, but speaking to The Balls.ie Football Show, head of sport at Wales Online Paul Abbandonato claimed that the possibility of staging the Ireland match at the Principality (formerly Millenium) Stadium is something that the Welsh FA are considering.

When asked whether or not the Euro 2016 performance put in by Wales had inspired a nation like Euro 88 and Italia 90 for us, Abbandonato played down the comparison, but suggested that a boost in interest could lead to a return to the Millenium.

"With regards to the Irish effect under Jack Chartlon, no not to that level although there were a reported 200,000 people on the streets in Cardiff to welcome the team home from the finals in France.

This is still a rugby nation, isn't it? When Wales play rugby internationals, a nation is engaged with it and that hasn't really happened with the football in my opinion.

With regards to the Millenium Stadium, I've been thinking, interestingly Wales haven't named the venue for the last game of the campaign, which is against Ireland funnily enough.

There's a feeling that if there is something riding on that, they could sell 200,000 tickets for that match, probably 100,000 of them to Irish fans!"

The prospect of a Wales vs Ireland Group D decider in the Principality Stadium is seriously exciting for Irish fans. We are absolutely sure that there would be incredible interest, and the Irish are right up there with the very best when it comes to making sure we are at big sporting events when our guys are involved, so the atmosphere would be absolutely electric.

It is by no means a certainty, as Abbandonato explained there is a common feeling in Welsh football that when they occupied the gigantic Millenium stadium, it didn't really feel like home.

"There is a school of thought that they didn't feel very well treated in the Millenium Stadium, they felt it was more like an away game for them, or it certainly benefitted the opposition more than it did Wales, and I think there's a feeling of 'look we don't want to go back to a rugby stadium'.

We've got 35,000 screaming taffs in the Cardiff City Stadium, a proper football stadium, and that creates a better atmosphere than 70,000 at the Millenium and that's the view from the players and the management."

From an Irish point of view, the bigger stadium is by far a more attractive option. Cardiff City Stadium could prove to be a tough place to play for such an important game, and more Irish fans in the stadium could only be seen as a positive.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    HA! What chance do Wales have with their puny 23-man squad? With our mighty 39-man squad we will surely crush them!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Coleman: Irish roots dead to me when we invade Dubs.
    http://www.the42.ie/chris-coleman-wa...92237-Mar2017/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Looks like Ciaran Clark definitely won't be available next Friday as the Northern Echo is reporting that he's facing lengthy spell on the sidelines due to injury: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/spo...lengthy_spell/

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Echo
    Rafael Benitez facing mounting problems with Ciaran Clark set to be sidelined for lengthy spell.

The Magpies manager revealed yesterday that defender Ciaran Clark is the latest key player to be sidelined after picking up an injury.

Clark's absence is a major setback for Benitez, who is likely to call up Grant Hanley to replace the former Aston Villa player after weighing up at least two other options.
    Wes Hoolahan went off injured today as well with a hamstring problem and is also now a doubt.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Wes and Clark gone. What will the team look like on Friday night?

Randolph
    Coleman, Keogh, O'Shea, Ward

Arter

McGeady, Hendrick McClean

Walters Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Coleman: Irish roots dead to me when we invade Dubs.
    http://www.the42.ie/chris-coleman-wa...92237-Mar2017/
    I never knew Chris Coleman's father was born in Dublin and moved to Swansea aged 20.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Thinking that we could really do with Robbie Brady on Friday night and he'll miss out because of a crazy decision to kick the ball away in Austria. Such a costly mistake.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Looks like Arter may miss out too seeing as he didn't make the squad tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    The faux-Cyrillic font is a nice touch.
    But no backwards Rs! Everyone knows that in COBET POCCИЯ, letters backwards you!
    Last edited by Cymro; 18/03/2017 at 11:40 PM.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I see Liverpool's youngest ever scorer Ben Woodburn is in there. That's his first call-up.

On paper, they're a very average (and you could say beatable side) although they clearly have a tremendous team-spirit and with world-class Bale in the team bolstered by the likes of Ramsey and Allen, they're a little less predictable.

I'd love a win by a goal - be it 1-0 or 2-1 - and we have the superior players and overall ability across our squad to do that, but I just think we'll play out a tight 1-1 draw. Hennessy is a weak keeper - a flapper - so I hope we take full advantage.
    I don't agree with that. Ireland have the better squad; we have the better 1st XI. Our squad is quite mediocre, but on paper our strongest side contains 10 established PL first teamers, four of those real stars at that level, and an excellent Championship player (Gunter) who can easily step up to PL level. It's a very strong side. The problem is when we get injuries, as we had against Georgia.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Really looking forward to this lads. Bydded i'r tim orau enill! (May the best team win)*.

*Actually, sod that, I don't give a crap how we play, that should read: "may Wales win 1-0 with a goal off James Collins' hairy ginger ar$e."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Speculation is that Woodburn's in the squad with a view to capping him and keeping him out of England's clutches.

Hell of a game to be blooding youth, but as an option off the bench if we are desperate for a goal, we could do worse.

I think this will be a real competitive game. Those posts predicting a low-scoring draw are off the mark in my opinion; we need to win, so we will attack. My prediction based on no injuries is 3-2 Wales. Robson-Kanu, Bale, Ramsey and Allen all have goals in them this year. We haven't been defending as well in this campaign however, so we will definitely concede goals.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Ace midfielder Ramsey could well be in an emotionally fragile state, poor chap.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Before yesterday I would have said: "Stop Ramsey, Stop Wales"
    Still believe that he is the driving force of the Welsh team and a man marker on him would go a long way to stifling them.
    But now, looking at our list of injuries, we will be lucky to get a point.
    I would take a point right now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    This game is going to be all about tactics on the night. Got to get them right. I see already that MON is ruling out man marking, telling his defence to figure out Bale.
    If that's true, we are going to have to lie deep and invite them upon us and hope to spring counter attacks.
    McGeady and McClean are prime players but Pilkington and O'Dowda may now also come into the planning process.
    The long ball game to Walters and or Murphy would seem to be out of the question given the presence of Collins/Williams/Chester

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Ireland have the better squad?
    Bale is best player by a long stretch in both squads. Ramsey is the best midfielder on show and one of the best in Europe. Williams is a world class defender.
    And Tom Davies and Joe Allen and Joe Ledley are all starters with their PL teams.
    While McGeady is in sensational form at the minute, Ireland can really only use Coleman as a counter argument.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Ireland have the better squad?
    Bale is best player by a long stretch in both squads. Ramsey is the best midfielder on show and one of the best in Europe. Williams is a world class defender.
    And Tom Davies and Joe Allen and Joe Ledley are all starters with their PL teams.
    While McGeady is in sensational form at the minute, Ireland can really only use Coleman as a counter argument.
    That's Ben Davies. Sorry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Ramsay was rank rotten for Arsenal v West Brom.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast