Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2017

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Great performance over all. Kenny doing great again. Coek better do the same in CL qualifying next year.
    That's a very strange comment. I'd be very disappointed if I was a Dundalk fan. That Rosenborg side were there for the taking IMO. And they'll probably be knocked out in the next round. Dundalk had enough to beat them, but their decision-making was poor. For somebody that gets so much praise, McEleney doesn't half lack an end product at a certain level. He's great for dropping off and beating a man or two in the middle, but then, nothing. I really felt that not using Mountney that much cost them. As average a player as he is compared to the rest, the game was set up for him as an outlet, but he was barely used. Also, Gartland needs to be replaced asap.

This may seem like Dundalk-bashing, but they've set the bar high and IMO had enough to get across the line in this tie.

Now the spotlight switches to ourselves and Rovers. I'd be less confident of success in these ties, but there's goals in both sides which is minor cause for optimism. However, both sides need to beat two good sides away from home in tough conditions. It's not looking promising, but hopefully one LOI side can do it.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    A great evening in the Lerkehdal last night. Yes, there was huge disappointment among the Dundalk fans who were there. There was also pride, pride at a huge performance over 2 hours of play. The objective is always to qualify for the next round, but the imperative for the players and the club is to win respect for themselves, the club, and the league. In that sense, they succeeded.

This was a different Rosenberg than we played in Oriel. The tempo they bought to the game in the first 20 minutes of the second half took a massive defensive performance to withstand. Rosenberg outnumbered Dundalk in central midfield and Kenny had to alter our formation to counter that. It worked, Rosenberg were largely neutralised. It meant sacrificing some of our creativity too. it was clear from that from there on, chances from both teams would be limited and it was a question of who would take their chance. We hit the bar but Rosenberg took theirs. Game over.

Winning ties away from home in Europe is tough. The tie was not lost last night, it was lost at home. We should have scored more than one goal last week.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Winning ties away from home in Europe is tough. The tie was not lost last night, it was lost at home. We should have scored more than one goal last week.
    I'd largely agree with that. Dundalk should have been at least 2-0 up before Rosenborg scored last week.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    So pablo , your less confident of cork beating an average Cypriot side than you were of Dundalk beating the perennial league champions of Norway.. How very noble of you.
    Gallant effort by dundalk , they just ran out of luck at the end.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I'd largely agree with that. Dundalk should have been at least 2-0 up before Rosenborg scored last week.
    Ah could've, would've, should've.....

Come on lad a bit of a reality check is required here. Dundalk played very well over the two legs, no doubt. The fact that there was v little between the teams over 210 minutes is something they should be applauded for, given the difference in resources/finances between the teams. But you can't say they should have been 2 nil up. They simply weren't good enough to beat the keeper more than twice, and similarly they weren't good enough to keep Rosenborg out. The outdone themselves, but it still wasn't enough. End of story.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Great effort and performance from Dundalk. Stephen Kenny again proving that he is the best manager we have in the LoI. As been said, Vermullen had a great game and easy to see why Kenny Shields was so upset to loose him. Good luck to the two teams today.
    Is it really fantasy/unrealistic to think that some Irish clubs could reach the level of say "the Rosenberg model" in the relatively near future. There sees to be an attitude in Ireland today that we can't do certain things. Example we are unable to build council houses anymore, but we were able to do so when Ireland was a much poorer place and machinery etc are more advanced today. I find this attitude disheartening. Look at the new stadium in Cork, why can't the soccer folks down there have a target of filling that for European games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    So pablo , your less confident of cork beating an average Cypriot side than you were of Dundalk beating the perennial league champions of Norway.. How very noble of you.
    I'm surprised anyone who watched the two games last week would have felt differently. Two very different teams in opposition, but Dundalk were the better team last week, whereas we showed very little in attack. I definitely thought dundalk getting the right result was more likely than us doing the same. And after the first 20 minutes they could have had it finished.

There's very little between qualifying and not qualifying at this level. It comes down to if you can be clinical and take the chances that come your way. Dundalk had those chances in both legs but couldn't take them. Whether we qualify tonight will come down to the same. We'll get a chance or two, it will depend if we can finish them. I don't think we'll get too many chances and we're not actually that clinical despite the amount of goals we score so I wouldn't be very confident. But who knows own. A moment of magic, a mistake etc is all it takes. Well, that and not screwing up at the back like last week!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Very disappointed with the result but not with the performance. McMillan should have buried that chance in the first half, but in saying that, the keeper pulled off a top drawer save, honestly thought it was flying in. Kilduff hitting the bar was obviously another but it seemed to be rising. Overall Rosenborg were the better side in terms of play but that second goal would have killed them off. Real shame.

Only minor plus point, I had Gartland at 22/1 for the first goal but on the finance topic, this is some drop in income from last year, around 600K compared to 6.2M.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Anyone know what the chances are of Dundalk being seeded in the EL qualifiers draw next year?? (i think we're all agreed that Cork will be in the CL qualifiers)

Do they get any points for the draw in Oriel or are points only awarded for getting through the round?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Anyone know what the chances are of Dundalk being seeded in the EL qualifiers draw next year?? (i think we're all agreed that Cork will be in the CL qualifiers)

Do they get any points for the draw in Oriel or are points only awarded for getting through the round?
    Will be seeded for R1 and more likely than not to be seeded in R2 as well.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    The co-efficient system changes from next year, it will go on individual club records rather than an Associations;

• A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).
    • Historical success in the competition will also be acknowledged in coefficient calculation

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionslea...d=2398899.html

Suppose it will depend how far that goes back and an average from there maybe.
    Last edited by Nailor; 20/07/2017 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Is it time for Dundalk to really splash out to get a top striker into the club who will convert some of those first leg chances for them?

I'm speaking from a position of ignorance in that I haven't seen any of the European games as I'm in China but with all due respect to McMillan I know he has scored some massively important goals for Dundalk but he also has games where you just know he won't score. It would be nice to have somebody more clinical there would you not think?

I'm thinking along the lines of bringing in somebody relatively top notch from England. The funds must be there to do something along those lines now.

Maybe that's against Kenny's ethos and fair enough if it is.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    You're unlikely to get any striker better than MacMillan who is willing to play in the LOI. And if there is (like maguire) they'll quickly be snapped up. Even macMillan himself was monitored last year by Rosenborg.

In any case, a striker isn't the issue. MacMillan and Kilduff are both fine finishers, they were just denied by world class saves, which can happen any striker. Any LOI team would be much better off spending money economically and making sure they've good players in every position and good squad depth rather than splashing out on some big foreign name. Sure look at Rosenborg themselves. They're playing Bendtner 10K a week and he isn't even doing much for them. Big money foreign strikers aren't the answer.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Analysing Dundalk's loss to Rosenborg, and how the latters' marauding defenders made the difference: http://bit.ly/2ubyowu

Also contains a potentially controversial dissection of Gartland's performance. Close-knit LOI scene does not do criticism well...
    Last edited by AlanOB; 20/07/2017 at 12:04 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    On the difference in fitness levels between us and them, Norwegians in sport are generally very fit, they even do torture sports for recreation, like cross country skiing up hill on wet snow, smile at you as they glide past you and merrily wish you a good day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Interesting to note, how difficult it is to win even one match in the CL and also the EC previous. In all of Dundalk’s Euro matches (played 28 in the premier competition) we have only won 4 games. Zurich (a) in early 60’s, Linfield (a – well in Holland) and Hibs of Malta both 1979, then BATE last year, just shows how hard it is to get a win. Plenty of draws and even more defeats !

Dundalk will definitely be seeded in the EL next year.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    Analysing Dundalk's loss to Rosenborg, and how the latters' marauding defenders made the difference: http://bit.ly/2ubyowu

Also contains a potentially controversial dissection of Gartland's performance. Close-knit LOI scene does not do criticism well...
    I think many on here have acknowkedged that Gartland consistently costs Dundalk in Europe

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Let's unwind your spin. I was more confident of Dundalk progressing at 1-1 than us progressing at 0-1 against a team from a better league (or so the co-efficient tells us). And they are an above average team in that league despite your appraisal. They've been runner up to APOEL the past 2 seasons.

Do I give us a chance? Yes, but only a little. This will be very tough.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I think many on here have acknowkedged that Gartland consistently costs Dundalk in Europe
    Of course. I'm not referring to the fans though. They have no reason to withhold honesty.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    What? Go out in the first round?
    Well, If Cork get to CLQR2 and bring a team of the calibre of Rosenborg to extra time away from home, going up both times then yes I think that would be a success too.

Dundalk have proven that with endeavour, no small ability or technical proficiency, intensity and work-rate that LOI teams can match 2nd tier European sides over the last 2 years.

As I said before, Kenny is professional, an optimist, confident and at the same time realistic. He admitted Rosenborg were the better team yesterday, which they were. What's unfortunate is that Dundalk have shown even with the attributes mentioned above its not enough to get over the final hurdle. Contrast Kenny and caufield, caufield is a serial pessimist with an inferiority complex, who doesn't conduct himself in the same way on the sidelines or in interviews. He grates anytime I read or listen to him. Its definitely not a Rossie thing

Some comments saying that had Dundalk done this or that, on reflection I just don't think they had that bit of killer instinct, or technical nous to beat Rosenborg and 9/10 would have lost those 2 legs.

Best of luck to Cork and Rovers tonight. If either of them gets a draw I think its good going.

* The cork lads on here are funny when surmising Dundalk and when considering their own performances/opposition remove the same criteria they apply to Dundalk :_)
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 20/07/2017 at 2:22 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast