Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Friday morning I thought our chances of progressing were slim to none. Then the third round draw happened and I'm dreaming of the group stages. We're in for a tough night on Thursday if difficult conditions. The positive is we know exactly what we need to do to qualify, and even if AEK score it doesn't really affect that too much. We need to go to Cyprus and score twice - or score once and win on penalties. We can't go out there and give up on defence but we do need to be aggressive and try to win the game.
    I would rather be in AEK's position, knowing that they can sit and wait for us to attack and try and beat us on the counter but we're in with a shout and thats something.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Huge week ahead for all 3 clubs, all obviously need to score away, but all in contention. 1 goal might do it for Dundalk, but I can't see Rosenborg not scoring, Cork need 2 to go through or 1-0 and AET and pens, while Rovers must score 2 and hope to keep a clean sheet. Not easy for any of the teams, Rovers definitely have the hardest task but you just never know, anything can happen.

For Dundalk, the prize money is probably more important than the actual potential Celtic match as this will rise from current 570k or so to 1.2 M minimum. Just the 'small' matter of getting past Rosenborg first !
    Not a chance we're keeping a clean sheet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I agree no chance of a clean sheet we need to score at least 3.....it's the hope that kills you

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    4 years ago today

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Nice confident speak coming from all teams, particularly so Dundalk, they have more reason to be confident granted. Last week watching Dundalk I put the phone down while I went to eat a bit of the dinner quickly, came back and saw it was 1-0. I became complacent, said they'd need another one to kill it off. 15 minutes or so later they/Rosenborg were level, after as previously mentioned some pretty poor defending. As the game grew to a conclusion I got angry with myself for my complacency. I think this game for Dundalk (lesser the LOI and its supporters) its actually more important than anything done last year. No one expected them to qualify for anything, they got to the last qualifying round of the CL, and after landing in the group stage, anything after that was a bonus. People were a bit more expectant this year, and going out in the first round doesn't prove anything really, but getting through to another round and a guaranteed 4 more matches proves a level of consistency. It proves that a well run club and a well coached LOI side, can compete in Europe to a decent level. It shows that because Dundalk are not the same team as last year, personnel etc has changed, but they are managed by the same man, the club is run by the same people. They should be an inspiration to any others (within LOI)if they can go toe to toe with a former strong man of Europe, who aren't from a particularly strong league in Europe. I think for those reasons and more tomorrows victory would be much greater than anything else achieved thus far - regardless of how the 4 games go after.

Here's hoping to a Dundalk score draw. Whatever happens after that is again bonus territory. Kenny's confident that they need to score, negating whatever happens at the back.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I`m really looking forward to this tomorrow night, and just one goal might do it, however it will need to be something really special to get through but it will be up there with Kenny's finest achievement if we do it. With Dundalk he has had some great euro away results, 1-1 in Holland and Poland, and some other brilliant performances, losing by 1 goal in Israel, Russia & Belarus, if he can make a final push to grind out a win, that will be incredible.

The odds are firmly stacked against us though, then again not every bet wins, see above !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Can't see Rovers keeping a clean sheet, so unless we score all our chances I think we'll go out.
    Have to honest and say I think rosenburg will have too much for Dundalk, albeit it they are a Kevel above the teams Rovers and cork are facing. Cork should be looking to go through, assuming their manager sends his team out to attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Can't see Rovers keeping a clean sheet, so unless we score all our chances I think we'll go out.
    Have to honest and say I think rosenburg will have too much for Dundalk, albeit it they are a Kevel above the teams Rovers and cork are facing. Cork should be looking to go through, assuming their manager sends his team out to attack.
    What?! We've scored 50-odd goals in the league. We scored 6 goals in the first round. We've gone out to score in every game we've played. Last week was teh first time we were held scoreless in almost a year.
    I think AEK are a lot better than people are giving them credit for. They completely stifled us last week. Still holding out hope though.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    What?! We've scored 50-odd goals in the league. We scored 6 goals in the first round. We've gone out to score in every game we've played. Last week was teh first time we were held scoreless in almost a year.
    I think AEK are a lot better than people are giving them credit for. They completely stifled us last week. Still holding out hope though.
    Yeah AEK are ok and do play in a league with a higher standard but something about Cork's play last week reminded me of them in Europe 2 years ago. Wasn't the City we are used to watching last 2 seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Yeah AEK are ok and do play in a league with a higher standard but something about Cork's play last week reminded me of them in Europe 2 years ago. Wasn't the City we are used to watching last 2 seasons.
    They gave us absolutely no time on the ball. Every time we got it we were pressed and harried. Hopefully we can deal with that on Thursday but I don't think we were deliberately holding anything back last week, or maybe we were and it was a tactical masterclass from JC and hes gonna send the team out to smash AEK in two days. I certainly hope so!
    Or more likely the Cypriot league is a few levels above the LOI and we aren't used to playing teams of that quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Don't fancy any of the sides to get through unfortunately. Would give Dundalk the best chance. Just don't see Cork or Rovers overturning home defeats.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    There is no hope of us keeping a clean sheet but I expect us to score. Wouldn't rule it completely out as it could easily have been 4 each in Tallaght but we are a real long shot.
    Dundalk have a decent chance against the odds , Cork less so obviously. Would be great to get 1 through at least

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Paddy Power says odds on qualification

1/5 Rosenborg
    3/1 Dundalk

http://www.paddypower.com/football/f...-12572864.html

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    1/9 AEK Larnaca
    5/1 Cork City

1/66 Mlada Boleslav
    11/1 Shamrock Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts
    Think we could get 1 of 3 through. Ever the optimist!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Paddy Power says odds on qualification

1/5 Rosenborg
    3/1 Dundalk

http://www.paddypower.com/football/f...-12572864.html
    Im seeing 6/1
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Thats to win in 90 minutes. They can qualifying without winning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Hopefully one of our teams will get through but it's a big ask.
    Dundalk probably have the best chance with City next.
    I can't see Rivers doing anything but you'd never know.
    Good luck to all of them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Dundalk have the best chance - and they have the best manager with the most European experience.
    Don't fancy Cork much. They might get a draw.
    Rovers would need a miracle.
    Each of them up against it to a degree, but best of luck to all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Dundalk were the only ones that actually looked like the stronger team in the match ups. Obviously it's a different story away but I think they have enough in them.

I think we have the ability to beat Larnaca, but we'll struggle majorly in the heat and there's no pressure on them to attack which won't suit us.

Don't see Rovers having much hope.

Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast