Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fixtures- April 22nd/23rd/25th

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He's 32 and has been playing at the top for well over a decade. I wouldn't imagine he can recapture his peak performances (Bohs 2008, Pats 2013). I've said for a while now O'Donnell is the best player in the league
    Shields for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Shields for me.
    Can't agree there. O'Donnell is well ahead of Shields. He does the good defensive tasks that Shields does but he offers much more in attack. I also think that if Shields is pressed quickly when he gets the ball that he has a tendency to panic whereas you never see O'Donnell panic on the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Shields for me.
    O'Donnell is miles better than Shields.
    Here on a technicality.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    For me two influential players for Pats league win were Russell and Bisto Flood(when he came in). Minus those two and I think Dundalk would have pipped them. Cillian Brennan and Bohs under Fenlon should have won that first title that Michael O Neill won with Shamrock Rovers, would Bohs fans agree?
    Also a sign of a good player is how much they perform/improve a less talented squad if they move, Fletcher and Johnny Evans would be an example at WBA this season. Not sure how far behind Cillian is Connor Powell in terms of honours and PFAI awards. Other recent award winners are Mark Quigley and Jay McGuinness.
    Really bad luck for Luke Byrne, he looked promising when he first came in for Bohs, and hope he makes a full recovery.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I can only go on what I've seen, but they look a lot weaker without Shields than they do without O'Donnell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    O'Donnell started 12 league games last season and still made the PFAI team of the year- by the time of the vote that would have been 8 or 9. Two thirds of a crocked SOD > Shields. And I love Chris Shields.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    For me two influential players for Pats league win were Russell and Bisto Flood(when he came in). Minus those two and I think Dundalk would have pipped them.
    Both fine players with great seasons but Bolger won the Pats player of the year and Brennan won the league player of the year.

Russell was there in 2012 too but the difference for Pats in 2013 was Brennan and Conan Byrne. They brought the team on hugely
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    It'll be good to get Roddy Jr back in the league so these debates over who the best player is can end once and for all.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    No, I wouldn't
    Clouded judgement, i get that

He never did make it in the UK, that's good enough for me. Big fish small pond (muddy pond at that)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I can only go on what I've seen, but they look a lot weaker without Shields than they do without O'Donnell.
    Disagree with that.
    Take even the FAI cup final. I thought cork were getting in top up too the sean gannon injury. Kenny switched shiels to RB and skip came on then after and controlled the game from the start of the 2nd half on.

The boys are right. When shiels is pressed quickly he panics and loses the ball. Also he struggles to pass the ball more than a couple of metres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    The boys are right. When shiels is pressed quickly he panics and loses the ball. Also he struggles to pass the ball more than a couple of metres.
    I agree that O'Donnell is the better player and the best in the league, but I don't agree with your description of Shields. He is not as composed as O'Donnell but he rarely losses the ball when pressed, less than the majority of LOI midfielders.

As for struggling to pass the ball 2 meters, I think we all know that's rubbish

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Watching the Rovers-Dundalk match the other night It was noticeable how shields was the heartbeat of the team. O'donnell was fine but didn't have as much impact before he had to go off.

As for comparing O'Donnell to Brennan- do me a favour. O'Donnell had a lot of competition in the Rovers midfield when he was at Rovers so didn't play as often as he liked
    Brennan is an indication of how far away Rovers have fallen, on the road to success.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Disagree with that.
    Take even the FAI cup final. I thought cork were getting in top up too the sean gannon injury. Kenny switched shiels to RB and skip came on then after and controlled the game from the start of the 2nd half on.
    The most impressive part of that was he was clearly injured. He struggled to move and still controlled midfield against Cork

No surprise to see Cork invest heavily in midfield this season

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The most impressive part of that was he was clearly injured. He struggled to move and still controlled midfield against Cork

No surprise to see Cork invest heavily in midfield this season
    Liam Miller was so traumatised by the experience he emigrated.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Was at Turners X last year when Cork battered Pats. Brennan was trying to take possession from Mark O'Sullivan maybe 25 yards from goal and just gave up utterly and flopped to the ground. Unhindered, O'Sullivan trotted on to score. I know you can't judge a player on one moment but that one encapsulated all that has held Brennan back for me.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    We got battered that first half aswell Pats a complete no show 2nd half wouldn't mind a repeat scoreline of that tonight

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Was at Turners X last year when Cork battered Pats. Brennan was trying to take possession from Mark O'Sullivan maybe 25 yards from goal and just gave up utterly and flopped to the ground. Unhindered, O'Sullivan trotted on to score. I know you can't judge a player on one moment but that one encapsulated all that has held Brennan back for me.
    He was as uninterested on Monday. Obviously a player who needs to be motivated and that's not something that comes easily for him playing for a club he doesn't like.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Yeah I'd agree with that. That was particularly poor. The guy has all the talent in the world, but moments like that are definitely a negative on him.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Shields for me.
    You are possibly forming that opinion on the excellent display he gave away to Cork last April. I think from where he was in 2012, Shields is probably the most improved midfielder in the league.

He can have a few poor games though and his touch at times lets him down, you get impressions he needs to be fully concentrating in every single match for 90 mins, overall though he has been excellent since the middle of 2013.

I would O'Donnell as the best MF in the league though. Finn is showing signs that he will be that player maybe next season. Miele was also very good last season and worth a mention. Bolger is effective at what he does.
    Last edited by oriel; 30/04/2016 at 9:58 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shields is obviously one of the least talented players in the Dundalk team and probably the least talented midfielder in most games he plays. But he's maximised his talent through hard work. Guys like Massey and Boyle would fit into the same category.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast