Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFA category 3 stadiums

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

UEFA category 3 stadiums

UEFA category 3 stadiums are required to host third round European qualifying games, and unfortunately for Dundalk, Oriel Park doesn't fulfil that requirement.

Tallaght, RDS and Aviva are category 3.

What about Turners Cross & Richmond Park?

I know it probably has a lot more health & safety standards, seating capacity & floodlight lux (SI unit of illuminance and luminous) levels.

But what other league grounds or alternative grounds in Ireland are category 3 and what does it take for a ground to reach this level?

Anyone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Thomond, Windsor and Ravenhill would be the only other ones, I'd guess.
    Croke Park too, but obviously not for any of them foreign games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I doubt if any League of Ireland grounds meet category 3 outside of Tallaght which possibly only scrapes the criteria itself.
    Turners Cross could meet the requirements, but does it have adequate VIP seating and media areas?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Lots of little issues preventing Turners Cross meeting the criteria, things like Parking, Bus Access, Floodlights. I think we might just be able to hold a third round game but Playoffs would probably have to be somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

Astadium must be category four to host games in the playoffs of the qualifying stage for the UEFA Champions League or any game in the main competition.[2] Category four is also required to host any game in the main competition of the UEFA Europa League[3] or the UEFA European Football Championship.[4]
    I think we must be close enough to meeting Category three going on that wiki page. Things like VIP Parking, Press Box Seats, Minimum number of TV studios would cause us difficulty. But there are some things we don't even have for Category 1 or 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I think Turners Cross would make it. Sligo were allowed use the Showgrounds in 2011 with an early kick off time.

Tallaght (and the Aviva) are the only grounds in Dublin that qualify
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Is there any alternative venue within the Cork region that would qualify? Would Musgrave Park be good enough since the "redevelopment" - I figure Flower Lodge isn't as close as TC would be at present.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    For Round 4 Musgrave would probably meet a lot of the requirements but wouldn't have the capacity. The lodge apparently has seated capacity of 8,000. I don't know if it meets the other requirements.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I didn't think the Lodge has UEFA type seating of 8000? Definitely has the GAA definition of 8000 seats (concrete and a painted number).
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I didn't think the Lodge has UEFA type seating of 8000? Definitely has the GAA definition of 8000 seats (concrete and a painted number).
    Possibly, I've never been there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I'd rather play in Windsor Park than Tallaght - can we cite security risk to UEFA to allow a move for our games, whatever number that might be, to be hosted by the Irish League?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Surely Cork would be given special dispensation to use Turners Cross? Musgrave Park has only 3,500 seats and the only stadium nearby even remotely capable of hosting a game. Thomond Park is nearest after that, and would be a nightmare to have to travel to Limerick for home games.

As far as Dundalk are concerned, it's a bit of a nightmare all round.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Special dispensation from whom?

Not UEFA's fault their ground is crap (even if it's the best in the league)

Clubs in Azerbaijan and the likes have had to play their group games in the capital because their own grounds aren't up to scratch I think. Don't see why Cork should be any different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    UEFA don't really do special dispensation in these cases. As far as I know clubs have to nominate the grounds in advance of the qualifying rounds that are suitable for the relevant rounds they may get to. I know we had already nominated Tallaght as the home ground for the 3rd round onwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    They shouldn't give dispensation either. Some of the requirements might be a bit corporate and not overly relevant supporter-wise, but then you look at a nice tidy ground like FH's last night and realise how far behind we are some smaller leagues. The bigger clubs in particular could benefit from getting their grounds up to standard.

Qabala played the Europa League groups last year out of Baku, 150 miles away. Debrecen played their CL and EL group campaigns in 2009-2011 in Budapest, also 150+ miles away. They've since built a new 20,000 seater ground (a bit excessive maybe as they only average 3000 at a game - I don't know what the capacity requirement is for group stage games?)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 21/07/2016 at 4:11 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Had a quick look at the category 3 details and I don't think OP would qualify. For starters you need 4,500 seats and then there's a load about press facilities, VIP seats................., even a jacks for the ref with a seat. Whatever next?

As Shams played their EL groups games in Tallaght then it must have met all the requirements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    There is special dispensation in UEFA rules for clubs regarding stadia in certain cases. Here's the detail from UEFA Champions League Guide 2016-17.

I'd assume Cork could come under 'financial hardship' given that League of Ireland clubs aren't exactly financially secure at any time, and potentially 'reasoned request'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 21/07/2016 at 4:23 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They shouldn't give dispensation either. Some of the requirements might be a bit corporate and not overly relevant supporter-wise, but then you look at a nice tidy ground like FH's last night and realise how far behind we are some smaller leagues. The bigger clubs in particular could benefit from getting their grounds up to standard.

Qabala played the Europa League groups last year out of Baku, 150 miles away. Debrecen played their CL and EL group campaigns in 2009-2011 in Budapest, also 150+ miles away. They've since built a new 20,000 seater ground (a bit excessive maybe as they only average 3000 at a game - I don't know what the capacity requirement is for group stage games?)
    Similar crowds to top LOI teams, but qualified for CL and EL grouup stages? Similarly Iceland team last night, couldn't even fill the ground, maybe 2000 there at most, yet they have a great stadium. I'm begining to wonder about the attendances argument in all of this. Do clubs have 5 year plans, 10 year plans etc?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    There is special dispensation in UEFA rules for clubs regarding stadia in certain cases. Here's the detail from UEFA Champions League Guide 2016-17.

I'd assume Cork could come under 'financial hardship' given that League of Ireland clubs aren't exactly financially secure at any time, and potentially 'reasoned request'.
    Why would Cork come under "financial hardship"? Azerbaijan and Hungary are hardly wealthy countries. (Actually, Azerbaijan might be with its oil - but Hungary still stands)

LoI grounds are crap; stop making excuses for them.

22. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Part of the problem with the grounds is the fact that out of the 12 PL clubs, only one actually owns their ground - St Pat's and it's mortgaged in the sum of €22m (clearly stated in the filed accounts for the club and another group company). So there is no incentive to upgrade the grounds.

Three clubs have control of their grounds, Longford through a separate guarantee company, Sligo through the trustees and in the case of Finn H the fixed assets note to the audited accounts details three different leasehold properties. As to what the three relate to is not detailed but a guess would be the new stadium under construction, Finn Park and another property, but specified as leasehold and therefore not owned. However, the terms and conditions of the various leases may well make some of all of the properties 'as good as owned'.

In the FD I would guess UCD (the college and not the club) own the Bowl and I've no idea on the ownership of the grounds in Cabinteely. The other six clubs do not own their grounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast