Page 10 of 111 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Reid(b 1982)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    No. Bobby Robson made a general comment about certain players being unfit. He mentioned no names. Byrne was one of them as Staunton later said that Byrne needed to get fitter. I'm wondering was Andy Reid another that Robson was referring to... And it's not word for word either, I don't have a memory as good as that unfortunately.

geysir, it's not a heap of tripe. I remember well when Robson said it and it was also in the papers. I'll try and find a source or link. Maybe you should pay more attention in future too
    Robson did mention a name, he said that Byrne did well but will have to improve on his fitness levels. That's it, full stop, not a peep more about Jason in that interview with Robson.

'would never be included in an Irish squad again as long as i'm involved'.
    is a heap of tripe.
    Unless you are going to quote Jolly as the source, I'm afraid you have to concede.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Reid was never fully fit all of last season at Spurs and was basically let go for the simple reason that he doesn't have the dedication to get his weight under control.
    Great talent, lacks dedication.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    My recollection is that Robson said something along the lines of some players will never feature again & the eL supporters automatically assumed it referred to Byrne and were outraged. But no nmaes were mentioned. I think the quote was in The Examiner but I'm not sure.
    Bang on.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Robson did mention a name, he said that Byrne did well but will have to improve on his fitness levels. That's it, full stop, not a peep more about Jason in that interview with Robson.

'would never be included in an Irish squad again as long as i'm involved'.
    is a heap of tripe.
    Listen, what exactly is your point? This isn't about Jason Byrne! (Quite frankly I couldn't care less about Jason Byrne because he's over-rated, unfit and not up to standard beyond Shelbourne and the EL.) I'm talking about a general statement that Robson made regarding players who were unfit and in his view, wouldn't be involved with the squad again. He said players not player, and he was not referring to Byrne alone (He mentioned no names, but when asked about Byrne, said he needed to be fitter). Whether you like it or not, Robson said this. I'm not quoting Robson directly in my initial post, as I don't have a photographic/pinpoint memory, so stop being so pedantic about the quote. It's a quote along those lines, as Stuttgart88 has also referred to.

It quite plausible to assume that Andy Reid is/was one of those players Robson referred to as it's strange why he's been left out for such an important game, considering our options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I dont think its pedantic to request a quote as there is not proof otherwise that Robson even said it. It seems like this is LIke a Radiohead song and 2+2 does in fact equal 5.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think tubby Reid could do a job off the bench for 20-30 minutes.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    If not more.

I wonder are the same people who were slagging his physique on this board also now saying he should be in the squad.

I hope an Irish hack asks specifically about this during the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I dont think its pedantic to request a quote as there is not proof otherwise that Robson even said it. It seems like this is LIke a Radiohead song and 2+2 does in fact equal 5.
    bohs, radiohead....you really are undergoing a spirtual awakening......

on thread - am sure reid will be involved again at some stage. he is a class player but needs a bit more football. its the managers call.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I wonder are the same people who were slagging his physique on this board also now saying he should be in the squad.
    I have questioned his ability to play 90 minutes of top level football. However he should in the squad ahead of the likes of Douglas & O'Brien.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    Whether you like it or not, Robson said this. I'm not quoting Robson directly in my initial post, as I don't have a photographic/pinpoint memory, so stop being so pedantic about the quote. It's a quote along those lines, as Stuttgart88 has also referred to.

It quite plausible to assume that Andy Reid is/was one of those players Robson referred to as it's strange why he's been left out for such an important game, considering our options.
    As I said, I agree about that Reid should be included in the squad.
    Unless it is believed that he has a malign influence on the squad or has displayed open disregard to the managment, then there is more to gain by having him there. Maybee it's a perceived lack of fitness issue.
    Robson is quite clear about his role in the team. He's not the one likely to be quoted or even implying that he can call the shots.
    I read the three articles where Robson was interviewed after the Sweden and Chile game and they were discussed on this forum. Nothing like that was flagged.
    Stuttgart, a respected seasoned pro, is getting on a bit and may be mixing up quotes uttered in totally different contexts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    bohs, radiohead....you really are undergoing a spirtual awakening......

on thread - am sure reid will be involved again at some stage. he is a class player but needs a bit more football. its the managers call.
    Again you know nothing about or my like or dislike for Radiohead.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Andy Reid is a quality player - should def be in the squad, Stan is clueless - Reid should be starting CM - creativity badly needed - he is best in CM - just look at the pass he put through yesterday for Bent that lead to the penalty - Reid is the only player we have with that quality (apart from maybe Robbie).

Doyle and Keane are both really intelligent players and Reid would link up well with them but Stan will play JOS in the middle just because he plays for Man Utd even though JOS has proved he is not up to it at international level in the centre of the park
    Yes, yes, very likely I'm afraid and yes again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Stuttgart, a respected seasoned pro, is getting on a bit and may be mixing up quotes uttered in totally different contexts.
    Yes, I think I may have confused rumour on foot.ie with the Robson quotes in The Examiner. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, I just don't know any more. Call it a "Robson moment" if you like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really see the relevence of that Stuttgart. I have questioned his fitness before but I have never said the boy isn't talented and the fact he is not in the squad is a joke IMO. I have thought we could get more out of him if he improved his physique however he can still cause teams damage as it is.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    I don't really see the relevence of that Stuttgart. I have questioned his fitness before but I have never said the boy isn't talented and the fact he is not in the squad is a joke IMO. I have thought we could get more out of him if he improved his physique however he can still cause teams damage as it is.
    How fit could Liam Miller, Johnathan Douglas and Alan O'Brien be considering they haven't played a minute of first team football for their clubs in nearly 4 months? Reid has played in 2 of Charlton's 3 games and played nearly all of the match on Sat when they were down to 10 men.

Fact is anyway an unfit Andy Reid would still be miles better than tha above 3 if they were all fully match fit. Staunton is a joke and I don't think he has a clue. Nothing he's done so far seems to indicate otherwise. I worry about Saturday. I think we could be beaten badly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    I don't really see the relevence of that Stuttgart.
    At the same time I was also thinking back to all those who said (quite recently too) that Reid could not play central midfield. Now it seems that everybody wants him in the squad at least, and many in CM! That's all. But yes, his fitness has been a concern. Not necessarily his perceived weight issues, but simply his lack of match action in the second half of last season.

But as pointed out above, how can Miller, Douglas & O'Brien be deemed properly match fit? Maybe it's because they've done proper preaseasons whereas I know Reid missed at least some of his at Spurs. Just a guess. As Noely said though, I hope this isn't Stan acting the tough guy. There are better ways of getting employees to buck up their ideas.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 30/08/2006 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've always thought Reid is best in Cm and have always thought he should be in our starting 11. IMO people only care about his weight when he is off form - its the same with Ronaldo - when he is banging in the goals nobody cares about his weight but when the goals stop...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I can't quite believe he has not been called up. If the midfield performance is anything like that against Holland, Staunton is going to be badly exposed for leaving Reid behind.

The Germans must be delighted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    I've always thought Reid is best in Cm and have always thought he should be in our starting 11. IMO people only care about his weight when he is off form - its the same with Ronaldo - when he is banging in the goals nobody cares about his weight but when the goals stop...
    Fair point but is it coincidence that his better performance have come when he has looked in reasonable shape? I don't know about anyone else but there were times when I thought he looked noticably bigger than other times.

Anyway it's been done to death, at the end of the day he's a very good player for us who should be in the team when fit never mind the squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    It seems that Carsley only wants to be in the sqaud if he is going to play as he has kids that need to be looked after for personal reasons. He only wants to be in teh Ireland sqaud if he is going to play. Staunton is building for the future so as a result cannot give that guarantee to Carsley. I would have had him in the squad other than that.
    Just saw this on the newswires this morning:

CARSLEY WANTS REPUBLIC RETURN
    Everton midfielder Lee Carsley wants to end his international retirement and
    make himself available again for the Republic of Ireland.
    Carsley initially wanted to concentrate on his club career and also get over a
    serious knee injury.
    But the 32-year-old is ready to make himself available to new Republic boss
    Steve Staunton.
    He said: ``I would like to go back. I've spoken to Steve and would love to
    return. It's not as if they are exactly blessed with an abundance of
    midfielders.
    ``So if I could help try to bridge that gap for them, perhaps even if it is
    just for another season to give the other lads a chance to mature, then that
    would be great.
    ``You could see when they played against Holland earlier this month and lost
    4-0 that it seemed as if they were thrown straight into the deep end.''
    end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Just saw this on the newswires this morning:

CARSLEY WANTS REPUBLIC RETURN
    Everton midfielder Lee Carsley wants to end his international retirement and
    make himself available again for the Republic of Ireland.
    Carsley initially wanted to concentrate on his club career and also get over a
    serious knee injury.
    But the 32-year-old is ready to make himself available to new Republic boss
    Steve Staunton.
    He said: ``I would like to go back. I've spoken to Steve and would love to
    return. It's not as if they are exactly blessed with an abundance of
    midfielders.
    ``So if I could help try to bridge that gap for them, perhaps even if it is
    just for another season to give the other lads a chance to mature, then that
    would be great.
    ``You could see when they played against Holland earlier this month and lost
    4-0 that it seemed as if they were thrown straight into the deep end.''
    end
    Otherwise translated as "Now that Keane, Holland and Kinsella are retired, and no decent competition is coming through, I have a good chance of getting a game. So I might not be travelling for nothing."

Page 10 of 111 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast