Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 111 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Reid(b 1982)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

Connolly scored a meer 9 goals in 41 appearances. He scored a hattrick against Liechtenstein which makes it 6 goals in the other 40 which is 1 goal every 6-7 games. I can not remember a goal of any significance that he scored. He got sent off in a vital playoff & missed a crucial penalty in the world cup.
    That record is as good and better than Elliott and Doyle. Everyone misses penalties, including Shevchenko, Henry, Pele, etc

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well it took John Aldridge nearly 20 odd games to score for Ireland. Stats can be deceptive. Connolly might offer something as a late substitute. Carlsley did have a good game yesterday though and might just offer us something.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thew0rm2345 View Post
    That record is as good and better than Elliott and Doyle.
    You are correct. Sorry. Drop Elliot & Doyle as Connolly is better.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It seems that Carsley only wants to be in the sqaud if he is going to play as he has kids that need to be looked after for personal reasons. He only wants to be in teh Ireland sqaud if he is going to play. Staunton is building for the future so as a result cannot give that guarantee to Carsley. I would have had him in the squad other than that.

Connolly does not offer anything that Elliot or Doyle cant. Also he cannot play with Keane. Doyle is playing regular football and scoring for the last 3 years.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts

My Guarantee

I'm done trying to argue for David Connolly. As one of my favorite players, I think I have to do this. I know what he can do, and no one else believes me, so here's what I say. If David Connolly ever gets capped again (it must be for 25 or more minutes, if its not, then this guarantee carries to the next game), and either he scores, gets an assist, or we win that game, nothing happens. If he doesnt, and we (Ireland) dont win (void if we draw that team and it is a top 5 team in FIFA) that match, I will buy anyone I meet from this forum the drink of their choice (as long as its under $20 USD). No risk for anyone here but me. Be it Brazil or Montserrat. As I said, I'm not arguing the point anymore. Also void if all of this stuff doesn't happen, but he plays a major role in us qualifying for something.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 27/08/2006 at 8:19 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyway, back to the topic, hopefully Staunton has the cop on to have Andy in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kev Doyle is a marvelous player... Got his first goal in the premiership recently and I read in four four two that the Reading fanzine named him as their single most important player.

He's not just a goalscorer, he's skillful, good in the air and quick. He's easily one of our best players, and I'm looking forward to a Keane/Doyle pairing up front.

Also, on an unrelated matter Duffer did well on the right wing for Newcastle against Ventspils and was unlucky that he didn't have a Shearer like personality up front to convert his brilliant creative play. I'm thinking we throw Reid on the left, Duffer on the right so he can cut in, and then play Mc Geady and Stephen Reid in the center. On paper our front six isn't that bad, on paper that is (IE, all premiership players, with the exception of Mc Geady who will be playing in the Champions league!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Andy Reid is not in the squad and if he was it would make more sense to play him in the middle and Duff and MC Geady on the wings.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 27/08/2006 at 10:29 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Andy Reid is a quality player - should def be in the squad, Stan is clueless - Reid should be starting CM - creativity badly needed - he is best in CM - just look at the pass he put through yesterday for Bent that lead to the penalty - Reid is the only player we have with that quality (apart from maybe Robbie).

Doyle and Keane are both really intelligent players and Reid would link up well with them but Stan will play JOS in the middle just because he plays for Man Utd even though JOS has proved he is not up to it at international level in the centre of the park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Remember when Bobby Robson said after the Sweden game that there were a few players that wouldn't make the squad again unless they got themselves fit, including one that he said 'would never be included in an Irish squad again as long as i'm involved'. Jason Byrne was one of those players whose fitness was referred to, as Staunton came out and said it. I'm just wondering was Andy Reid one of them as well. Seems very strange to me that he's been left out, and seeing that he's now starting for Charlton, no excuse that he shouldn't be called up in the next few days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Could be down to fitness, I suppose. But even if hes not 100% fit he is still worth a place in the squad at the very least - I mean surely he could come on as a sub and play 20 mins.

On the Byrne issue - did Robson definitly say that? - word for word? If he did thats a disgrace

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What does Bobby Robson know about Irish football anyway? The mans a football legend but he's hardly fit to comment on the EL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
    What does Bobby Robson know about Irish football anyway? The mans a football legend but he's hardly fit to comment on the EL
    True.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
    He's a football legend which means he knows a lot about football and football players. If he saw Byrne and didn't think he was good enough then that's enough for me.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    Remember when Bobby Robson said after the Sweden game that there were a few players that wouldn't make the squad again unless they got themselves fit, including one that he said 'would never be included in an Irish squad again as long as i'm involved'. Jason Byrne was one of those players whose fitness was referred to, as Staunton came out and said it. I'm just wondering was Andy Reid one of them as well. Seems very strange to me that he's been left out, and seeing that he's now starting for Charlton, no excuse that he shouldn't be called up in the next few days.
    Agreed about Reid.
    The rest of what you wrote is a heap of tripe, based on a fantasy quote, 'would never be included in an Irish squad again as long as i'm involved'.
    That never was recorded as spoken, nor inferred to by the management team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    On the Byrne issue - did Robson definitly say that? - word for word? If he did thats a disgrace
    No. Bobby Robson made a general comment about certain players being unfit. He mentioned no names. Byrne was one of them as Staunton later said that Byrne needed to get fitter. I'm wondering was Andy Reid another that Robson was referring to... And it's not word for word either, I don't have a memory as good as that unfortunately.

geysir, it's not a heap of tripe. I remember well when Robson said it and it was also in the papers. I'll try and find a source or link. Maybe you should pay more attention in future too
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 29/08/2006 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well I think if you are going to include quotes such as "would never be included in an Irish squad again as long as i'm involved'. it is important that it is accurate and that is a very strong comment.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    My recollection is that Robson said something along the lines of some players will never feature again & the eL supporters automatically assumed it referred to Byrne and were outraged. But no nmaes were mentioned. I think the quote was in The Examiner but I'm not sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Well I think if you are going to include quotes such as "would never be included in an Irish squad again as long as i'm involved'. it is important that it is accurate and that is a very strong comment.
    This is about as much as you'll find:
    http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=36194

I remember going onto the shelsweb forum that day and not 1 quote was posted.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro View Post
    Any mention of any dropouts from squad that might allow Reid to get in? There's no doubt he should be there in the first place!
    maybe doherty might hurt himself watching d telly

Page 9 of 111 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast