Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Team next year...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts

Team next year...

Yes, it's another of those pointless pre-season threads...but sure, why not?

Doyle, Finn and Batman are gone; it looks like Sully will be going as well, though at least we stand to gain 10k-15k from the transfer (on the basis that we seem to have turned down 5k). From the U-21s, Gannon and Byrne stand out, but then the likes of Kierans, Gallagher, Kelly, Foley, Dicker, O'Brien and Brophy could make more of an impact next season.

Obviously can't legislate for any new signings (such as Heffernan - any news on him lately?), but at the moment, what team are we going to have next year and what positions do we need filled?

I'd go with...

Quigley
    Mahon
    Kenna
    McNally
    McAuley
    Gannon
    McDonnell
    Murphy
    O'Donnell
    Byrne
    Martin

Subs
    Gallagher
    Foley
    Dicker
    McWalter
    Brophy

Anto Murphy has been playing in Seán Finn's position for the last six games, so it seems like Mahon has him in as Finn's replacement. The defence is the exact same, which is very encouraging. The bench isn't the strongest, but at least all have first-team experience. Beyond those five, though, there's only the likes of Paul Whelan, Darren O'Brien and Colm Kierans, as anyone else from the U-21s who played for the first-team last year has since left or is likely to have left at the end of the season (Pat Burke, John Gaffney, Lloyd Colfer, Tadhg Purcell).

So we need to uncover a full-back and a winger as priority. Gannon's the only cover at full-back, and Podge is the only real cover on the wing at the moment... Course, I'm sure Pete Mahon has this all figured out ages ago!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Yes, it's another of those pointless pre-season threads...but sure, why not?

Doyle, Finn and Batman are gone; it looks like Sully will be going as well, though at least we stand to gain 10k-15k from the transfer (on the basis that we seem to have turned down 5k). From the U-21s, Gannon and Byrne stand out, but then the likes of Kierans, Gallagher, Kelly, Foley, Dicker, O'Brien and Brophy could make more of an impact next season.

Obviously can't legislate for any new signings (such as Heffernan - any news on him lately?), but at the moment, what team are we going to have next year and what positions do we need filled?

I'd go with...

Quigley
    Mahon
    Kenna
    McNally
    McAuley
    Gannon
    McDonnell
    Murphy
    O'Donnell
    Byrne
    Martin

Subs
    Gallagher
    Foley
    Dicker
    McWalter
    Brophy

Anto Murphy has been playing in Seán Finn's position for the last six games, so it seems like Mahon has him in as Finn's replacement. The defence is the exact same, which is very encouraging. The bench isn't the strongest, but at least all have first-team experience. Beyond those five, though, there's only the likes of Paul Whelan, Darren O'Brien and Colm Kierans, as anyone else from the U-21s who played for the first-team last year has since left or is likely to have left at the end of the season (Pat Burke, John Gaffney, Lloyd Colfer, Tadhg Purcell).

So we need to uncover a full-back and a winger as priority. Gannon's the only cover at full-back, and Podge is the only real cover on the wing at the moment... Course, I'm sure Pete Mahon has this all figured out ages ago!
    We could have fielded that side last season which is encouraging.
    It is a pity about some of the departures right enough, but then again we are that kind of a club. We develop them and let them go on to others. I am disappointed with losing Batman cause he played well for us anytime I saw him. You never know what Eddie Wallace will unearth from schoolboy football for 2005. Some of them might already be signed.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    No need to quote my whole post, was there?

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    We could have fielded that side last season which is encouraging.
    Well obviously, seeing as we haven't signed anyone yet!