Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Gibraltar(A) 4th Sept & Georgia(H) 7th Sept 2015 - Euro 2016 Q

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    hendrick was taken off injured just before half time in derby's home draw with middlesborough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I don't understand why Shane Duffy isn't in there. Every Irishman with a pulse gets a call up, apart from him.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I don't understand why Shane Duffy isn't in there. Every Irishman with a pulse gets a call up, apart from him.
    He's played a full 90 in all three of Blackburn's games so far this season. Indeed, no reason why he shouldn't be there. Gibraltar would have been a perfect outing for him.

No call-up for Brian Lenihan either; his form of late obviously not as good as it was on that flight to England. Is Andy Reid fit or what's the story there? And is Joey O'Brien re-available or is it fair to assume he's virtually retired from international?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Heard SSL was in line for a return, maybe when he returns to play in the Championship in October?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Too busy becoming bigger in Denver than Peyton Manning.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Heard SSL was in line for a return
    Where did you hear that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    In his own head.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Grealish? And another Derryman.

Questions, questions, questions.
    Who's the other Derryman you're referencing Wolf? Duffy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    hendrick was taken off injured just before half time in derby's home draw with middlesborough.
    Just a dead leg. Derby don't seem to have much luck with injuries to midfielders, their young converted midfielder, Hanson, went off with concussion as well, to add to Hughes (cruciate) and Bryson from the opening day.

Is Andy Reid fit or what's the story there?
    Seems he's still a couple of weeks ago going by the recent info on his own thread.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 19/08/2015 at 9:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Why does MON bother with these massive squads?
    It's going to be cut to 24/25 at the end of August, why not just make that final squad public?
    Do any of the neighbours do this?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Who's the other Derryman you're referencing Wolf? Duffy?
    O'Kane.

He's played a full 90 in all three of Blackburn's games so far this season. Indeed, no reason why he shouldn't be there. Gibraltar would have been a perfect outing for him.
    Duffy wouldn't get a run even if he was in the squad. It'll be the same at the back injury and suspension permitting until the end of the campaign. We're coming down with centre halves of a similar stature, so I'm not totally concerned about him not being there. His time will come.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Just a dead leg. Derby don't seem to have much luck with injuries to midfielders, their young converted midfielder, Hanson, went off with concussion as well, to add to Hughes (cruciate) and Bryson from the opening day.

Seems he's still a couple of weeks ago going by the recent info on his own thread.
    Reid played a friendly for Forest U21s a couple of days ago.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    We're coming down with centre halves of a similar stature, so I'm not totally concerned about him not being there. His time will come.
    I'd like to get him tied down to us all the same, especially with the north on the verge of qualifying. Gibraltar is a change to look at fringe players and put competitive caps on players at the fringes who have other options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'd like to get him tied down to us all the same, especially with the north on the verge of qualifying. Gibraltar is a change to look at fringe players and put competitive caps on players at the fringes who have other options.
    Duffy really isn't on the verge of flipping, ever, regardless of how Northern Ireland do - he's spoken multiple times about how it's his dream to play for the Republic, his da's from Donegal etc etc etc. It ain't going to happen short of a massive blow-up with the FAI/management. And while hardly unheard of, it seems unlikely.

As for Gibraltar, I wouldn't chance too much bar our attacking shape. We should be looking to gel a team together for the last four games particularly since we've played with no cohesion or consistency at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Duffy really isn't on the verge of flipping, ever, regardless of how Northern Ireland do - he's spoken multiple times about how it's his dream to play for the Republic, his da's from Donegal etc etc etc. It ain't going to happen short of a massive blow-up with the FAI/management. And while hardly unheard of, it seems unlikely.
    You say that like a massive blow up with the FAI/management has never happened before!

I just like to have these things all officially tied up where possible. I have no doubt that he is a very patriotic Irishman, but strange things happen in football.

At the end of the day he has been around the squad for 5 years now, and has managed to pick up 1 cap in a friendly. If the chance to play in a major tournament is presented to him on a plate, there is no doubt in my mind that he would be faced with an agent and club manager (for their own selfish reasons) urging him that he can't wait around forever on the Republic, and that he should jump at the chance to play in the Euro's with the North.

As for Gibraltar, I wouldn't chance too much bar our attacking shape. We should be looking to gel a team together for the last four games particularly since we've played with no cohesion or consistency at all.
    We will have to make changes at the back anyway. O'Shea isn't getting a game at Sunderland, and we will need to pick a new goalkeeper with Given on the bench for Stoke. There is no getting round it.

I'd assume Clark will come in. I don't think anyone, including O'Neill, knows who will be in goal.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 19/08/2015 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Don't fret. Shane is irrevocably tied to us as he has already played for us competitively after having also represented the IFA at under-age level competitively. Same story with Eunan O'Kane, to the best of my knowledge. Even if Shane wasn't tied, I don't think he'd be keen on going anywhere else. He's Ireland through and through.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Don't fret. Shane is irrevocably tied to us as he has already played for us competitively after having also represented the IFA at under-age level competitively. Same story with Eunan O'Kane, to the best of my knowledge. Even if Shane wasn't tied, I don't think he'd be keen on going anywhere else. He's Ireland through and through.
    What Danny said backtowalsall

We will have to make changes at the back anyway. O'Shea isn't getting a game at Sunderland, and we will need to pick a new goalkeeper with Given on the bench for Stoke. There is no getting round it.

I'd assume Clark will come in. I don't think anyone, including O'Neill, knows who will be in goal.
    The lack of game time for those two doesn't mean much. O'Shea whether he's getting a game or not is the experienced head on the centre of defence - he'll be playing. Wilson, different story. Clark might come in for him but the changes will be enforced from the established centre halves we have rather than giving a game to Duffy or someone else.

Likewise, Given got his first start with us off the back of a couple of FA Cup games and subseqently became Villa's number one for three months where he didn't even play that well. If O'Neill deemed him good enough then, not an awful lot has changed. Think he's staying as number one until this campaign's over, though I'd be happy to be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

We will have to make changes at the back anyway. O'Shea isn't getting a game at Sunderland.
    I expect O'Shea to come back into the Sunderland team this weekend. Surely Big Dick has the cop on to drop Kaboul this week??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    I expect O'Shea to come back into the Sunderland team this weekend. Surely Big Dick has the cop on to drop Kaboul this week??
    o'shea will be one of oneill's first names on the teamsheet no matter how he is getting on at sunderland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Duffy only has one senior cap that he got in a friendly against Costa Rica played in America. Does something he did at underage level tie him down? I didn't think that counted

Match report here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27383445
    Last edited by backstothewall; 20/08/2015 at 6:53 PM.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast