Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential transfer targets

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts

Potential transfer targets

So the July window is soon upon us and everyone is focusing on finding a new striker but personally I think if the Galway game showed us anything it's that the squad hasn't enough depth and we need to address three areas, cover at centre back, a winger and of course a striker.

The name on everyone's lips is Elding and while I'm not a fan of his at all there really is a premium out there on quality top flight strikers so as defeatist as it sounds if we can find someone suitable I would take him simple as cover to bring off the bench and hit with a long ball but somehow I think he wouldn't be happy with that role and might want big wages so I don't think he'd be a good addition at all.

A few people are mentioning first division players like Danny Furlong and while he is a superb footballer we have seen the struggles shaw and sully have had in stepping up a level and we would be taking a huge risk by signing another FD player.

The same risk comes with signing a player from England that he may not adapt or settle so has anyone any names that would excite me? The use of the July window will decide who stays up and who goes down, I expect Limerick to use the return to MF to push on now and sign a few players. We may be 6th but we can't afford to slack off now. 6th place should be our aim.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Can't really see who is available that would definitely improve us aside from players playing abroad. Irish lads coming back from England might be our best bet but it depends on the funds available. There'll be competition for the good ones.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Yeah, realistically that's the best hope we have. Try and attract lads returning home who might be going to college, for example.

Elding is based in the north-west (AFAIK) and Furlong is not going to re-locate from Wexford for us (plus, the small matter of being involved in a promotion race), so those two can be ruled out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Josh on a loan deal anyone?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'd be curious to see how he's coming on but he's still very young at 19. I'd prefer someone even a little more experienced if possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Josh on a loan deal anyone?
    Heard a few whispers about that actually I'd have to agree with Longfordian he's not played top flight and I think what we need is a big physical number 9.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Heard a few whispers about that actually I'd have to agree with Longfordian he's not played top flight and I think what we need is a big physical number 9.
    He was at York last season, wasn't he? Suppose Bournemouth might see LOI Premier as a step up, but I think most prefer to loan players within their own league system. Hector at Dundalk would be an exception, and that was because Foster knew people at Reading.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    To be honest any decent striker coming back will be snapped up by Dundalk and Rovers. So can't see us signing any established big goal scoring striker.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I see in the Mirror today they say that Cousins is close to making the first signing of the window but wouldn't disclose a name. I'd say Duffer will be on the bench at the City Calling next weekend.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Apparently we've signed Jack Doherty. Good player on his day and we need a winger but there are big question marks over his attitude by all accounts.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Apparently we've signed Jack Doherty. Good player on his day and we need a winger but there are big question marks over his attitude by all accounts.
    We had him for the second half of last season - serious attitude problem and one of the laziest players I've come across in years. Serious waste of talent on his part and a waste of money for any club that signs him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I was actually going to suggest his name. I was commentating on a game vs Waterford last year and Doherty was superb for them, pace, trickery and a decent delivery. However, attitude is a major concern but hopefully hel see this as his last chance saloon and grab it with both hands, if he does we have a star on our hands.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I remember him being outstanding for Waterford in a game against us in the CCS last year (I think it was last year). His pace and ability to run at people caused us all sorts of problems. That seems to have been the exception rather than the rule though.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    thats a bit interestin with Jack Doherty.he has cross channel experience from his ipswich days and has ireland underage caps.
    also in yesterdays sun we are heavily linked with a move for Sligo's Dinny Corcoran whos their top scorer with seven! us and Derry City are fighting for hold of his services. I would be made up if we get Corcoran as hes a class act and a huge loss for rovers if true
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    If they're willing to let him go we should be after Corcoran alright. He may want to move back to Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Corcoran story is BS apparently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    As I said in another thread.

I was happy we got rid of Doherty. This is the lads fifth club in two years which pretty much says it all tbh.

Definitely a strange signing by Longford very surprising signing too. He could go on and be a starting first team LOI premier player no hassle but because of he's attitude I highly doubt it will happen. This is he's last chance so who knows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    509 Posts
    We've a decent team spirit and plenty of old heads, so they might be able to make him feel welcome, and get him on the right track. People said Ben Mohommed had a bad attitude too, and he's been grand.

we'll only have him a few months and he can rot away on the bench if he's ****e anyway

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    dont know if anyone saw the mirror today but Gary Shaw is linked with a few top flight clubs in the loi and cross water. Cousins also quoted as saying that he would go for Corcoran with board approval and will say to Corcoran that we are a partime club only!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    While Shaw hasn't been lighting things up,l of late, I'd be disappointed if he leaves.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast