Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shels to scrap match programme?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shels to scrap match programme?

Looking at the Shels forum there and it seems they are thinking of just giving out a team sheet at games instead of selling a programme, they're going to do a little magazine every 4 or 5 games instead!

Shows how small a club they are if they don't have a programme, not enough fans to buy it I suppose!
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ha ha sounds like "Super Shels" "The Real Reds" are finally noticing the lack of support !

There will always be only one Big Club in Dublin and thats Bohemian FC !

Home or Away you'll hear us roar cause we are Bohs we are Bohs !
    "Goin down the Phibsboro Road " "Bohs til I die"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdub
    Home or Away you'll hear us roar
    Sure

How the **** does getting rid of a programme to bring something in that every club bar clubs on the British Isles does, in order to bring in more money, make us a small club? You bitter, sad, obsessed, petty Shels bashers are really scraping the bleedin' barrel with your rubbish at this stage.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think its sad to see the programme being scrapped, but if they lose money on it it makes no sense. it shows that no matter what shels do, they still havea problem when it comes to their support base.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    I think its sad to see the programme being scrapped, but if they lose money on it it makes no sense. it shows that no matter what shels do, they still havea problem when it comes to their support base.
    Maybe the answer would be in the short term to produce a slighty less expensive in terms of printing costs version. That is the only way to sustain a programme, if it starts losing money you have only three options 1/ scrap it altogether- and lose an important potential source of advertising revenue, plus you also feature the player sponsors in each issue .

2/ Produce fewer issues - And face potentially embarassing situation of selling out the programme 45 minutes before kick-off, with a relatively modest crowd present.

3/ Reduce the production costs and keep the print run as is.
    You could still have the same number of copies, and the same number of issues just reduce the overheads. You may also need to reduce the cover price. In Shels case this season you got a free half-time draw ticket and programme, for your €15 admission.

Suggestion.... reduce admission to €13 and sell the programme for €2.00 and sell the half-time draw ticket for €1.50.... then you would get €16.50 from punters who buy into the whole package instead of €15 but still give punters the choice.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The programme was included as part of the admission price last season, so I don't know how it can be said to be running at a loss?
    Someone on the Shels forum, and I have no idea if this is true or not, says that hardly any European teams produce a programme these days. If this is true, then perhaps its not such a retrograde step. Personally, I get a programme every game, read it at half-time, bring it home and throw it in the cardboard box in the bottom of the wardrobe. When the box is full, it goes up in the attic. Never looked at again. When I die, my kids will probably bring them all down to a charity shop.
    No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones
    In 1977

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sheliban
    The programme was included as part of the admission price last season, so I don't know how it can be said to be running at a loss?
    well if they were making money on it, they wouldn't be scrapping it, would they

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Someone on the Shels forum, and I have no idea if this is true or not, says that hardly any European teams produce a programme these days.
    yeah. a lot of them produce team sheets of 4/8 pages and hand them out for free. personally I love programmes. nice to have a good read of them after a game and then put them away. got a hefty collection at this stage. nice as a souvenir really

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Presumably Shels just allocated E2.50 of the ticket cost as programme, and worked out the profit/loss from there. I don't think many people appreciate how expensive glossy programmes can be though - you're talking thousands, which means 500 programmes at E2.50 a head isn't going to eat into the cost substantially. I think the Shels programme also suffered seriously from a lack of contributors as well though.

There was no programme at the France-Ireland match in October, though they did give out a 24-page (?) glossy magazine. Reason for no programme apparently was that the likes of l'Equipe had the entire market cornered anyway. Don't know about European clubs though.

Have to agree with Éanna on the programmes - I've got a stack about three foot deep of them at home and take them out every now and again to look something up and usually find something interesting or some old player I'd forgotten about...they can be very interesting, even (indeed, especially) after a few years.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I thought was a league rule that clubs have to produce a programme although i'm not sure what that has to include. I remember St Francis saying they had to print out a programme every game & was costing them a lot of money.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    yeah, I think it is some kind of rule. Lucky its shels that are doing this, so the rules won't matter

I think by producing a teamsheet, they can get around that. Limerick used to produce a small teamsheet as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    open to correction on this both

a) i thoght it was a basic league rule in ireland (that u had to produce a prog for home league games)

b) on the continent (spain deffo) i dont think they have a tradition of doin match programmes its more an english thing....and seen as we're more english than the english themselves we just copy them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    a) i thoght it was a basic league rule in ireland (that u had to produce a prog for home league games)
    The plan seems to be to hand out a team sheet every match, around 4 pages. Technically, this would still be a programme I suppose.

And the magazine thing would have all the things in it that the progamme for the games would have had, so pineapple stu I assume it'd cover all the things that you'd want to look up anyway. I do think it's a good idea, if it can bring in more money than the programme is than really it has to be the way to go. There's a reason the clubs on the continent and all over bar Britain and Ireland really do it this way.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    And the magazine thing would have all the things in it that the progamme for the games would have had, so pineapple stu I assume it'd cover all the things that you'd want to look up anyway.
    So this would be out every two months or so, but available at every game then? (i.e. I as an away fan would be able to get it at any game I went to, even if the last issue was six weeks ago?)

Limerick and Kilkenny didn't have programmes at all this season, so if that is a rule (and I think it does ring a bell), it isn't being adhered to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    So this would be out every two months or so, but available at every game then? (i.e. I as an away fan would be able to get it at any game I went to, even if the last issue was six weeks ago?)
    I think that's the idea, yeah. It'd certinaly make sense to do it that way, they'd make more money making it available every game with little extra effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    yeah, I think it is some kind of rule. Lucky its shels that are doing this, so the rules won't matter
    still bitter?
    The sports team from my area is superior to the sports team from your area.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJoeSoap
    still bitter?
    about what? Shels have been bending the rules for years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    HOW EXACTLY? By getting into the latter stages of euro qualification and doing Irelands domestic league proud? And here u are slagging them off... Jealous Boh's basturds!! "Only Big Club", what de fuk?! Ur club is crap!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Yeah Shels never do Cork any favours!!

Tell me then would you rather play a team from Group A or Group B?

GROUP A

Hammarby Swe
    Ventspils Lat
    Metalurgs Lat
    MyPa Fin
    Allianssi Fin
    Ekranas Lit
    Atlantas Lit
    Keflavik Ice
    ÍBV Ice
    Vaduz Lie

GROUP B