Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI Promotion Activities

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    It ties in well with the Hipster vibe Bohs have developed in recent years in fairness.
    I thought that too. The image and just the general design gives off a hipster vibe. It's very Bohs.

Overall I really like it, but then again i've been known to be a bit of a hipster.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I know yeah, but when we were looking there were 3 games that would be potentially moved and 2 almost certainly and we felt that was too high. Especially when one of the games was our most attractive. We should have proceeded in retrospect, but we didn't expect the Derry fixture to take so long to be finalised. Lessons were learned.
    I presume you were right about the ones that were moved?
    You could have just put TBC on the ones with doubts over them.
    As a matter of interest what was your idea for the design? Literally just a 1-page flyer was it?
    I remember the fold-up pocket fixture lists the eircom League brought out. They were good but not necessarily something to attract tourists.
    I definitely think that's a huge market that has been missed for too long by clubs and the league.
    Tourism is one of the biggest industries in the country and the average spend from a tourist who visits a game must be well up on a regular punter as many will buy scarves & memorabilia

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The ISN found the average match day spend for a regular fan was around €30, but I would still expect tourists to average more.

Idea was a brochure type, so fold out 2 or 3 panels with the fixtures and a little about the club. Bohs do this already, and Galway United did this year also.

As I said, we should have proceeded, but we thought we'd get things clarified soon enough to have it fairly accurate for peak season. A mistake on our part but there you go.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I found a bigger image of it on google.

I like it, but admittedly i'm no marketing guru.

It doesn't contain the official club crest or the name "Bohemian fc", but it says "Bohs" and the colour scheme is right, so that's on-brand i suppose. The "the people's club" motto seems pretty cool to me too. It fits in with the club being fan owned, rooted in it's community, inclusive (see the flags and murals around Dalyer welcoming minorities) and maybe will appeal to people who want to be part of a real cause, supporting a real community club, as opposed to some corporate monster floating on the stock exchange. I think i've also seen that motto on hoardings at Dalyer - not sure if it's a new motto or one that they're trying to revive. It also lists the remaining fixtures for the rest of the season so i'd assume that anyone who has even a passing interest in Irish sport would quickly figure out that it's promoting Bohemian football club - they're one of our most famous clubs after all. So maybe that's the target audience, lapsed fans or people on the northside who have an interest in sport but who've never given the LOI a shot.

It's a bit on the obscure side i suppose, but maybe that's the intention - to get people thinking. Isn't that the main aim of advertising after all, to get inside the head of the consumer irrespective of how you do it.
    You can't assume anything in advertising/marketing. Doubley so for a league that most Irish people have ignored utterly for over a generation. And especially in a city where a large part of its population are either not from there, or not even from the country.

The poster doesn't mention football once. It would be wrong to assume that those reading it would know that's what it's all about. What about tourists/visitors to Dublin ? What about non-nationals - who must surely make up 15%+ of Dublin's population ? Some of whom may have come from places with more of a culture of supporting local teams.

Say if the ad did tweak your interest. It doesn't give any details of where Bohs play. Dalymount Park may be well known to Dubs, but what about everyone else? So you've no idea if they're round the corner from you or a trek to the other side of town. All marketing aims to either create awareness and/or encourage trial of a product. That poster obviously aimed to both inform and encourage attendance, yet only managed to do less than one of those 2 core tasks (how do you encourage people to attend a fixture in an undefined sport without making the location clear ?).

There's no information on how much the games cost to get in - which is a massive omission, especially as LOI is a cheap night out.

I also don't understand why they listed the away fixtures on there. Is someone standing at a bus stop really going to leap from having no or little interest in the club to then deciding to go to Limerick for an away match, just because they saw a poster ? Realistically not. So listing the away fixtures is just a distraction form what should be a very simple message - 'There is a football club nearby - go and watch them - this is how'

It would have been extremely easy to ensure this ad kept all the things that people on here like about it, but also added n the simple core basics that are missing. There's so much blank space on there that a crest, address, simple directions etc could easily have been added without over-cluttering it or leaving the eye not knowing where to look. I personally think it would look better with those things in, as it currently looks more like a flyer than a poster. It's a case of design triumphing over function, and I guarantee you that's what happened.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 02/08/2017 at 9:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    You can't assume anything in advertising/marketing. Doubley so for a league that most Irish people have ignored utterly for over a generation. And especially in a city where a large part of its population are either not from there, or not even from the country.

The poster doesn't mention football once. It would be wrong to assume that those reading it would know that's what it's all about. What about tourists/visitors to Dublin ? What about non-nationals - who must surely make up 15%+ of Dublin's population ? Some of whom may have come from places with more of a culture of supporting local teams.

Say if the ad did tweak your interest. It doesn't give any details of where Bohs play. Dalymount Park may be well known to Dubs, but what about everyone else? So you've no idea if they're round the corner from you or a trek to the other side of town. All marketing aims to either create awareness and/or encourage trial of a product. That poster obviously aimed to both inform and encourage attendance, yet only managed to do less than one of those 2 core tasks (how do you encourage people to attend a fixture in an undefined sport without making the location clear ?).

There's no information on how much the games cost to get in - which is a massive omission, especially as LOI is a cheap night out.

I also don't understand why they listed the away fixtures on there. Is someone standing at a bus stop really going to leap from having no or little interest in the club to then deciding to go to Limerick for an away match, just because they saw a poster ? Realistically not. So listing the away fixtures is just a distraction form what should be a very simple message - 'There is a football club nearby - go and watch them - this is how'

It would have been extremely easy to ensure this ad kept all the things that people on here like about it, but also added n the simple core basics that are missing. There's so much blank space on there that a crest, address, simple directions etc could easily have been added without over-cluttering it or leaving the eye not knowing where to look. I personally think it would look better with those things in, as it currently looks more like a flyer than a poster. It's a case of design triumphing over function, and I guarantee you that's what happened.
    I think you're being extremely harsh to the club. While I'm Bohs-friendly, I'm not a regular and on a different side of the city, but Bohs are absolutely everywhere on social media, and absolutely and fundamentally linked to Phibsborough and the general regeneration that is taking place in the larger D7 region.
    While it's a jibe, it is relevant, Bohs have been remodelled (unsure if it's intentional) as a hipster club. The social issues they highlight, their support of minorities, their actual involvement in the community for the goodness of the communities rather than just fleecing cash from the poor, has been massive. They are involved with the businesses properly in the immediate area around Phibsborough too.

I appreciate you might have principles by which a marketer might adhere to, visual, detail etc. My take is that Bohs aren't trying to appeal to the local non-indigenous market - they have them already -

What stands out on the image? Very obviously: Bohs. I open a fresh search engine, cleared of cache, google "Bohs", and what's the first return? Bohs fc with the stadium linked to google maps, refered to as the historic home of Irish football, the previous two results and the next fixture with a time.

With the prevalence of smart technology, across all sections of society, young/old, rich/poor, I think that leaving a little bit of an aura on a poster that entices the viewer in to do a bit of digging is smart.
    While LOI people might not agree with this as an opinion, it is out there that LOI matches are too expensive. I don't agree, I think they're value for money. But if you put the cost of a game on a poster, immediately you're setting a price for a person, and they may decide nope that's not for me.
    However, if you pique their interest, and they click the Youtube video, or see that Bohs have beaten the most famous club in the country and the league leaders in the last two games, before telling them the price, then perhaps the emphasis is on the Bohs experience before setting a price.

The actual info on the poster is minimal. Young people like minimal. It's proven that attention spans and information dissection is on the wane. Did you think that maybe the club do not want the FAI logo on the poster, or the LOI logo on the poster due to the negative publicity they both get, and focussed on the gloss and the positivity surrounding their own club?

Again I appreciate your background, I just think you're overly harsh there.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    The actual info on the poster is minimal. Young people like minimal. It's proven that attention spans and information dissection is on the wane. Did you think that maybe the club do not want the FAI logo on the poster, or the LOI logo on the poster due to the negative publicity they both get, and focussed on the gloss and the positivity surrounding their own club?
    I never said they should put the FAI or LOi logo on the poster. I said they should put THE BOHS LOGO on the poster. It's a Bohs poster, without Bohs' own branding on. Page 1 in any marketing textbook.

If you think that pricing is best left as a mystery that requires a treasure hunt, then you'll be sorely disappointed by the harsh reality of just how lazy most people are. And you've just pointed out about how attention deficit people are. Sure why not write the whole poster in Esperanto, and leave it for people to translate it first whilst we're at it

I'll leave the rest as differences of opinion. I guess my point is that if you're going to do something, get it right. Especially as you wouldn't lose anything of what you're trying to do by getting it right.

Marketing is one of those things that everyone thinks is easy - until it comes to doing it, when they don't even get the basics right and don't realise how or why they haven't got the basics right. There's a reason why marketing people get paid good money to do messaging. This poster just looks like a designer was asked to do something - and hence they've focused on making it look 'cool', not the functionality of ensuring it actually does the job it's supposed to do.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 02/08/2017 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    There's also the consideration that not every piece of marketing is aimed at every audience and maybe Bohs know what they're doing. Bohs brand at the minute is that hipstery, non conformist vibe. Keeping to conventions may not jive with that.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    There's so much blank space on there that a crest, address, simple directions etc could easily have been added without over-cluttering it or leaving the eye not knowing where to look. I personally think it would look better with those things in, as it currently looks more like a flyer than a poster. It's a case of design triumphing over function, and I guarantee you that's what happened.
    These are all very fair points. In their defence, the poster was probably designed by a fan (for little or no fee), who may not have had all the knowledge that you possess. It's still a nifty design imo. Could have been top notch if you're recommendations were included.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    On the subject of posters/flyers, i can't believe clubs don't put flyers through letterboxes. I've lived on Dublin's northside for 4 yrs now and this Bohs ad on the bus stop is the 1st bit of marketing i've seen around town for a LOI club.

Flyers through letterboxes have such an immediate impact. I heard Brian Kerr speaking on the LOI Weekly podcast a few months ago and he mentioned how he and a few mates spent a few evenings putting flyers through letterboxes all around Inchicore and surrounding areas before Pats' 1st home game of this season. The attendance for that game was greater than what they've had on an opening day for years. I even checked the attendances on ET just to be sure, and he was right.

2017 Feb 24th St pats vs Bray att: 1722
    2016 March 4th St Pats vs Galway att: 1626
    2015 March 13th St Pats vs Bray att: 1329
    2014 March 14th - St Pats vs UCD att: 1200 (est)
    2013 March 8th - St Pats vs Drogs att:1706
    2012 March 2nd - St Pats vs Bray att: 1474
    2011 March 11th - St Pats vs Bray att: 1294

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    It looks to me like the poster isn’t aimed at new customers (thinking of the AIDA process - attract, inform, desire, acquire) but at reminding (potential) customers who are already aware of the club. The locations mentioned here are local to Phibsborough. A woman on a football poster is clever – it suggests revolution, tones down the laddish/men only appeal that is a knee-jerk thought about football, and her headscarf is a little bohemian! Possibly reading too much into that! I think it gels well with the Phizzfest vibe in the area: a bit artsy, a bit ‘in the know’, and it ties the club into a community based on geography and shared interests/experiences. One thing missing, though, is a call to action – call 01XXX for tickets, follow us on etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    On the subject of posters/flyers, i can't believe clubs don't put flyers through letterboxes. I've lived on Dublin's northside for 4 yrs now and this Bohs ad on the bus stop is the 1st bit of marketing i've seen around town for a LOI club.
    Completely agree! I lived for 12 years in Cabra Park and never once got a leaflet in the door. Usually the first clue a game was on was the floodlights lighting up the kitchen!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    On flyers.. my guess is clubs don't do it because they lack the people to actually distribute them.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    To be honest that poster would be perfect if they had that dalymount logo along the bottom. It's simple, small, tells people where they are and wouldn't distract from the overall aesthetic

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    On flyers.. my guess is clubs don't do it because they lack the people to actually distribute them.
    You can get companies to do it for relatively cheap.

I know we did it years back (I think it was for the InterToto game in 2000; probably other times as well though) and the uptake was practically nil.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Get the youth team players out. Split the u-19s and u-17s in two with adult supervision (keep the health and safety brigade happy!) and you can distribute leaflets for one day every week for a month with nobody having to give up more than than a few hours once every four weeks. Trying to remember the math from my canvassing days, but I think we used to aim for 60 houses an hour per person in a built up urban area, so a team of 8 could deliver nearly 2,000 leaflets in 4 hours on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Target a different area for ten weeks then begin the cycle again. There's the added bonus of having a large group wearing club gear visible on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You can get companies to do it for relatively cheap.

I know we did it years back (I think it was for the InterToto game in 2000; probably other times as well though) and the uptake was practically nil.
    One-off leafletting won't have much effect. While you might get a 50% recall rate, a 3% response rate is considered good - but bear in mind that the average leaflet has about 7 seconds to impress before a reader's attention drifts. Things like design, offers, etc make a massive difference.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'd appreciate a critique of this Bohs poster
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Missing Links; 10/08/2017 at 3:01 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing Links View Post
    I'd appreciate a critique of this Bohs poster

Since you've asked, in all honesty it's bad. It looks like an ad for the English Premier League. I appreciate it's for a Fantasy League based on English football (the wisdom of which I would question for Irish clubs anyway), but it looks like it has absolutely nothing at all to do with Irish football - let alone being run by one of the country's main clubs.

Again, it doesn't have Bohs branding on it. It doesn't even have their colours FFS.

Bet you're sorry you asked now

21. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It clearly does have Bohs branding on it.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It clearly does have Bohs branding on it.
    It doesn't have the Bohs logo. Or colours.

It has the Bohs Twitter account, but even that doesn't say Bohs.

I can't see an expanded version of the poster beyond that.

25. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's literally staring at you in the middle of the page.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    It's right in the middle of the poster...
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

29. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast