Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You All Happy Now??????

thecorner

Angry Are You All Happy Now??????

everyone that was rooting for shels in europe saying it was good for the eircom league, are you all happy now???

all the new singings....

sure lets hope they have a good run again this year and get the rest of the talent next season then

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I just wonder how much of their Champions League money was 'donated' to St pats..and Mr Stokes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    buying players is only 1 solution to a great team. Just look to the English premiership and you will see examples of great teams with a very effective underage set up. The man utd team of old is another great example.

Shels may well have the best XI in the league but were going to have to prepare well and work hard in Europe to get to the 3rd round again, and the likes of Cork City F.C (if they can stop internal rows) look like there going to be snapping at the heels next season in the league. Shels will be the team to beat so there is going to be no easy matches next year !!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    and the likes of Cork City F.C (if they can stop internal rows)
    where have ya been for the last 2months. all sorted

I reckon shels are taking a big gamble buying in these players. paying them ain't gonna be easy, and trying to keep them all happy won't be a piece of cake either. Shels basically HAVE to do as well in europe his year as they did last year (at the very least) so all it will take is one bad performance, or a bit of bad luck in the european draw and they could find themselves in trouble very quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    everyone that was rooting for shels in europe saying it was good for the eircom league, are you all happy now???
    I don't take back anything I said in support of them.
    Had we won the league on the last day we would have been seeded in the First Qualification Round of the CL, which was down entirely to Shels run last season, If Shels, CCFC and Longford do well next season, it'll be there again for us the year after.

As for the new players Shels have signed, they can still only play eleven against whoever they come up against. Of the five players they signed, the only one I'd have signed is Bobby Ryan. There's a lot of competition for places and a lot of ego for Fenlon to handle now, so here's to more tantrums and sending offs for J.Byrne and Moore.

Even with the extra few players they bought, I'm more confident about our mounting a challenge against them than I was this time last season.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

all the new singings....

sure lets hope they have a good run again this year and get the rest of the talent next season then
    Absolutely delighted, thanks for asking

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Well personally I salute Shels for taking the risk that they are with the big, high-profile squad they've amassed. If they can keep it together they just manage a monopoly but if it doesn't they could really be set back. It's a big gamble and while I dunno if I really want them to quite pull it off I can only admire their ambition.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid
    Well personally I salute Shels for taking the risk that they are with the big, high-profile squad they've amassed. If they can keep it together they just manage a monopoly but if it doesn't they could really be set back. It's a big gamble and while I dunno if I really want them to quite pull it off I can only admire their ambition.
    have to agree with you there. every club would love to be in a position to do what they are doing, but personally I'd hate to see City taking such a risk if we were in Shels position. of course, we wouldn't be in that position because we have a larger fanbase which would make it easier for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can't see very many people wishing Shels luck next year.

Must el (and in particular Cork City fans) will be hoping they get knocked out in the first round I'd say. Then hopefully the money they have spent will backfire on them!
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    it certainly is a big risk Shels are taking. Nothing is certain in football and Shels could go out on the first round. However that is unlikely, the real test will come when they play against a club like Split again. But if you were a betting man you would have money on Shels to get to the 3rd round since they have such a bigger/better squad.

The rest of the teams in the E.L will no doubt be ****ed off in some ways if Shels do get into the group stages of the Champions League since Shels are going to be a really tough team to beat in the league with the money they will be able to afford on player wages.

But the knock on effect is that other E.L clubs are going to be playinga against quality opposition week in week out. That alone is one of the major factors which helps the standard develop.

There is nothing to stop C.C.F.C from progressing in the UEFA Cup since Shels didnt have all those extra players last year but did work very hard on their physical condition, tatical game, proper preperation and generally did their homework rather than treating Europe as a holiday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    IMO seeding in 1st qualifying round of CL isn't such a big deal. Shel$ shouild have beaten those seeded Icelanders easily last season.

Referees may feel pressure to give shel$ decisions next season such is their investment in their squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    There was a couple of interesting articles in the Sunday Independent by Sean Ryan on Shelbourne and Corks financial situation and plans to raise money etc and looking forward to next season.One interesting fact was only 25% of Shelbourne's income is from gate receipts.I hope they've learned the lessons of the likes of Leeds Utd not to overstretch themselves for European football and then for example get knocked out in the first or 2nd round next year.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy
    One interesting fact was only 25% of Shelbourne's income is from gate receipts.I hope they've learned the lessons of the likes of Leeds Utd not to overstretch themselves for European football and then for example get knocked out in the first or 2nd round next year.
    City have said today that 60% of revenue comes from gate receipts.

Shel$ would be expected to get to 2nd qualifying round but there are no real easy teams in 2nd round since they will be unseeded so can realistically only budget on 2nd round especially when already 300k in debt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

all the new singings....

It's great that they are showing a bit of ambition. its more that anybody else has shown in the last 20 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm glad I wanted Shels to do well in Europe this year, and was amazed at how far they got. If Shels made it to the League stages of the CL or UEFA, I still think it would be great.

Lets not forget fellas, that the biggest problem with our league is not that some one club dominates it every year (it is still very difficult to retain the league), but the fact that son many football fans overlook the league.

What we need is a higher profile. We need to be visible. People other than diehards need to be talking about the league, which happened briefly this year because of Cork and Shels.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc
    I'm glad I wanted Shels to do well in Europe this year, and was amazed at how far they got. If Shels made it to the League stages of the CL or UEFA, I still think it would be great.

Lets not forget fellas, that the biggest problem with our league is not that some one club dominates it every year (it is still very difficult to retain the league), but the fact that son many football fans overlook the league.

What we need is a higher profile. We need to be visible. People other than diehards need to be talking about the league, which happened briefly this year because of Cork and Shels.
    Now there is a bit of common sense on this issue well said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy
    One interesting fact was only 25% of Shelbourne's income is from gate receipts.
    How much is it from undeclared tax?
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Shel$ would be expected to get to 2nd qualifying round but there are no real easy teams in 2nd round since they will be unseeded so can realistically only budget on 2nd round especially when already 300k in debt.

Ooh hello !!! .... 300k ... isn't that too much already ??

Not too sure on this one but the UEFA licencing doesn't allow that ... in so much as the club will have to give estimates at the start of the year based on the previous years books, and is there some about a percentage of gate receipts or something.

There cant be any outstanding transfers fees due and they have to prove this. And they will have to report any over spending (as regards the estimates they submit)

Anyway ... if Shels get away with any of this .... then it is like the league saying to the rest of us "sure it's OK to do it so" .... isn't it ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    UEFA club licencing you havin' a laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Ooh hello !!! .... 300k ... isn't that too much already ??

Not too sure on this one but the UEFA licencing doesn't allow that
    UEFA licencing doesn't allow cash to be taken at turnstiles either IIRC but that still happens.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast