Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vote for Stephanie Roche until the 12th

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Irish Media Go Back To Ignoring Women’s Football': http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/201...mens-football/

Quote Originally Posted by Waterford Whispers News
    THE vast majority of the Irish media has confirmed that as of midday today their infectious enthusiasm for all things Stephanie Roche will dramatically subside and return to its pre-Pukas award for best goal levels. This in turn will mean an almost 100% drop in the coverage of women’s football in media outlets.

Despite many online and print publications getting behind Irish international Stephanie Roche as her stunning strike against Wexford Youths catapulted her onto football’s biggest stage, they have now reiterated their lack of interest in the women’s game.

“Ah c’mon what do you want from us? You can’t expect to actually go to a match, really? We got behind the campaign in that really insulting way we always do, at the last minute just to sell papers. You can’t say we didn’t try,” confirmed an unnamed journalist.

“We even published a photo of her in her dress there and said ‘doesn’t she look lovely’. If that isn’t covering women’s sport, I don’t know what is,” the journalist added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Crooked, no doubt, but, sometimes, I'm truly relieved we have the FAI running our football. The IFA, on the other hand: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30806958

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    Northern Ireland's captain and coach did not get a vote in the Ballon d'Or poll, as the Irish Football Association (IFA) did not send the ballots on time.

The blunder meant the choices of Southampton midfielder Steven Davis and Michael O'Neill were not counted.

The pair were the only Uefa representatives not to have a say in the contest to decide the world's best player.

"The original documents were not received on time," the IFA admitted.

Fifa confirmed that it sent out a reminder email before the closure of the ballot.

On the ball, as ever...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    If we roll back to 1988, 3 of the goals in the Euro Championships were goals of the year, and would roll past all but Roche's effort. Ray Houghton, heading a lump of concrete precisely to the far top corner. Van Basten's bullet from an impossible angle and Ronnie Whelan's shinner banana kick. On ahead to Gascoigne in 1996 against Scotland, and it tops the 3 efforts from this year.

Rodriguez was a simple enough effort (though well struck), Roche had to win, move and direct the ball against herself. Van Persie was good, but it's a simple keeper lob with everything going his way.

Liked the Lego recreations!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Rodriguez goal really isn't getting enough credit all of a sudden, despite winning. It was far from a simple effort, by any standards. The fact that he received it with his back to goal made it way above the normal for a goal of that type I think. Usually those kind of goals are scored as a result of a header clear from a defender, so the attacker controls it facing the goal. To even take it on was incredible, and only a player as high on confidence as he was (as well as technical ability obviously) would even attempt it. He made the chest control look simple, but he bounces the ball up enough to allow himself just enough time to get turned to take the strike on. It was still incredibly difficult to get such a good connection after that and keep it down, but he almost cuts across the ball to generate the power and swerve. I love the way he was in so much control of what he was doing, as emphasised by replays 2-4 below.

I'm not saying it deserved to win but I'd be very slow to knock it, it's well up there. I thought Tim Cahill's goal against Netherlands couldn't be beaten as the best World Cup goal at the time, but Rodriguez's effort definitely made me think twice. I would have had no issue with that Kasami goal winning either, unreal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    On ahead to Gascoigne in 1996 against Scotland, and it tops the 3 efforts from this year.
    I hadn't see that Gascoigne goal in years, had totally forgotten that Gary McAllister missed a penalty to make it 1-1 just before it.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I had totally forgotten just how '90s everything in the '90s actually was

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    That Gascoigne was in the throes of alcoholism (dentists chair) and barely workable, he attacked the ball at pace, controlled it and buried it. He truly was a magnificent talent who just couldn't stay the course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought RVP's goal was amazing. There was only one way he was able to beat the keeper. He met it perfectly while also cushion-heading it to make sure the pace was taken off the ball so it'd drop in over the keeper. Class.
    Seconded. I would rank it as one of the most memorable goals I've seen, and thee best headed goal.
    Last edited by The Fly; 14/01/2015 at 2:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Seconded. I would rank it as the best headed goal I've seen.
    Gary Neville said this is his favourite Manchester United goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Gary Neville said this is his favourite Manchester United goal.
    A great goal and I remember it well, but it's strength, power and determination that are the major elements at play there. With Van Persie's, the skill and technique involved to achieve what Stutts described is something I haven't seen in another headed goal. (Or at least, I can't think of any)
    Last edited by The Fly; 14/01/2015 at 2:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Agreed. Was more of an aside than a comparison.

I presume Colin Healy's goal against St. Pat's was the best LOI goal of 2014? I know Dundalk scored a great team goal as well, although if I remember right half of the passes were around the back and the Pat's players weren't exactly breaking a gut to dispossess them. Was there any kind of vote on this? I think Healy's was better than a few that made the shortlist, particularly Sanvezzo and Fabian's.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Agreed. Was more of an aside than a comparison.

I presume Colin Healy's goal against St. Pat's was the best LOI goal of 2014? I know Dundalk scored a great team goal as well, although if I remember right half of the passes were around the back and the Pat's players weren't exactly breaking a gut to dispossess them. Was there any kind of vote on this? I think Healy's was better than a few that made the shortlist, particularly Sanvezzo and Fabian's.
    These were the LOI nominations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEdRVBbFLlo

Healy won as far as I know.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    https://twitter.com/soccrepublic/sta...23278717566976

Healy came out tops in that poll, he doesn't score many so what is rare is wonderful. That was another memorable night at the Cross to store away in the memory bank.
    "Garlic bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it."
    Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Roche will be a guest on Friday night's 'Late Late Show': http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0114...ate-late-show/

Meanwhile, Sky News have apologised after the Sun's political editor, Tom Newton Dunn, described her goal in the following terms live on air whilst reviewing the papers:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Newton Dunn
    Watch what she does here, turn and right in the back of the net. A truly terrific goal from some... um... bog-trotting side in Ireland somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Roche heads to Houston. Owen Coyle already there managing the Dynamo. Maybe he will give her a shot in mls.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/sports/i...-to-Texas.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123