Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyrus Christie D Hull b.1992

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Coleman's positioning is often suspect too. He's an attack-minded player so he's always going to have one eye on getting up the field. He's surely a better player than Andre Wisdom too.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Cyrus is giving Enda Stevens a tough evening in Boro v Sheff United at the moment. It's actually poor tactics by United. They have Stevens isolated at left wing back so Boro are doubling up on him and he's being offered little support by the left centre back of their 3 man defence. Bamford and Howson are making hay down that wing now and then too.

It's not been disastrous for Stevens. He's coping quite well. I'm sure he'll have a good year at this level. Boro are stacked with quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    In the WhoScored Championship Team of the Month for September: http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...i-of-september
    Christie's arrival from Derby always looked likely to be a strong acquisition for Boro and the full-back has certainly not disappointed. The 25-year-old registered an assist in a 3-2 win over QPR last month and followed that up with a late leveller at Fulham, showcasing his threat going forwards. Indeed, it's Christie's ability in possession that is unquestionably his greatest asset, completing 17 dribbles and creating 6 chances for a rating of 7.58 last month.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I like his effort, but his performances for us on the international stage have been subpar thus far. Glad to hear he is a run of good form coming into these two matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I like his effort, but his performances for us on the international stage have been subpar thus far. Glad to hear he is a run of good form coming into these two matches.
    Given we'll be searching for wins/goals rather than focusing on the defensive side I'm happy enough that Christie is our man for these matches. I don't envy any player who has to fill in for a guy like Coleman -- pretty hard standards to match just as you're trying to break through with the senior team.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Things appear to be going well for Christie at Middlesbrough (for Bamford, not so much) -
    http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/f...-last-13842191

Christie having the last laugh

If the season finished now, Cyrus Christie would have to clear space on his mantlepiece.

For that's where the Boro 'Player of the Season' accolade would be heading.

In his final days at Derby, the full-back came under fire from some sections of the Rams' fanbase after being quoted as saying he was 'one of the best full-backs in the league, and on his day, one of the best'.

The criticism that followed saw Christie take to Twitter in response, accusing the Derby fans of focusing on one particular comment and glossing over the rest of the article.

The niggle wasn't just off-the-pitch either, with the Republic of Ireland international feeling some supporters were quick to jump on him after every mistake. In his words, the summer move to Boro gave him a new 'lease of life'.

Well Christie's claim of being one of the division's best certainly looks a valid shout based on his performances so far in 2017/18.

The energetic defender looks to have finally ended the long-term Boro right-back curse, and his sensational assist for Britt Assombalonga's goal at Hull last night was further evidence of the player's prowess.

He is not just a defender, he is effectively a second-winger for Boro - a player who is relied on to add width and drive on the flank.

Christie gave Boro fans one of the standout moments of the season with his last-gasp equaliser at Fulham last month, and while his contribution at Hull may be overlooked, Assombalonga was quick to hail his teammate after the game.

If Christie continues his early-season form, he is destined to become a fans' favourite for many years to come.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya that's alright championship but international as we know you get(and he has) found out, going forward all the time and getting out of position.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He's done okay for the most part I think. It's not like anybody expected Coleman to be replaced seemlessly.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    https://amp.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36290165.html

Great read. He's really proud of playing for us.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Christie View Post
    "There is a lot of heritage so the family always talked about playing for Ireland. My great-grandad played for Shamrock Rovers, part of a league-winning team and it was always in the back of my mind and something I wanted to do but it didn't quite work out with the younger teams.

"It eventually came through Steve Guppy, because his wife knows my cousin, they found out I was interested in playing for Ireland, saw the actual documentation and it went from there.
    Lovely read, yes, but what went on with the bit I quoted above I wonder, was he telling the FAI he was available to them & it not being acted on till it turned out Guppy knew his people ? Or am I looking to criticize unfairly here.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    He does seem to be implying that. Whether it was his fault or the FAI's, I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd say it's more than the management didn't know he was eligible until Guppy told MON.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Gardaí to investigate racist tweet directed at Cyrus Christie': https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...stie-1.3297770

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Malone
    Christie’s teammate, James McClean, revealed the existence of the tweet at Saturday evening’s PFAI awards in Dublin, citing it as an example of what the team had been subjected to in the immediate aftermath of the game. He said that Christie, already deeply upset over the outcome of the game, had shown the message to other players in the dressing room at the Aviva stadium.

“We spoke afterwards and it really got to a few players,” said McClean in an interview on stage after he had been presented with the award for Overseas Player of the Year.

“Everybody watched the game and it was poor, we know that. But some of the comments afterwards, which my Instagram post was about, went beyond football. One player in particular was told to go and play for Jamaica. Make of that what you want. It really upset him. My comments weren’t based on football, they were more personal. That’s for a player who has been a good servant to his country and it cut deep. That player was in tears, by the way. You’ve just missed out on the World Cup and then to have that . . . ”
    I'm absolutely disgusted to hear this. I don't think Christie had the best of games defensively on Tuesday, but he still gave his all and did his bit over the whole campaign. He clearly cared and certainly didn't deserve to be subjected to ignorant bullsh*t like this, especially just after having missed out on World Cup qualification, which was upsetting enough for all concerned.

An utterly shameful episode and cowardly too from whoever the assh*le was who did it, considering they were protected by the shield of anonymity.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Don't think they should take too much notice of the odd likely drunken tweet by upset fans really.
    One thing I would say is they he is pretty good going forward, certainly for us anyway!!
    2 goals in 17 games v 6 in 249ish in league games!!

(3 in 17 if you count the Norway one!!).

I just wonder how he would be on the wing or up front?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    YBIG have named them on their Twitter account

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    This story is an embarrassment. The unfortunate reality of social media - gives a platform to such clowns that are evident in society.

The players cannot be overly sensitive to criticism that they deserved for that performance. But not abuse and certainly not abuse in that manner.

Christie seems to be weak/prone to error on the defensive side of things but looks threatening going forward. I wonder whether he should be tried out in the right wing position.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Don't think Christie has the tricks to be a winger - he's a pretty standard attacking full back. Needs to work on his defensive positioning and he'll be a Premier League player.

The abuse he received is vile - hopefully the person responsible gets a visit from the police.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    The unfortunate reality of social media - gives a platform to such clowns that are evident in society.
    Social media has opened my eyes to how many ignorant and really brain dead people actually exist. I genuinely had no idea, thankfully I encounter very few in 'real life'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    'I don't think Christie had the best of games defensively on Tuesday, but he still gave his all and did his bit over the whole campaign.
    I actually thought he was one of our better players on the night, although I seem to be in a minority. Didi Hamman did mention he was probably our only outfield player who can hold his head up high, or something to that effect, so at least I'm not completely alone.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 20/11/2017 at 12:03 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Heartening to see a lot of support from Ireland supporters for Christie across social media today. The condemnation of the abuse has been widespread, which is good to see.

Criticism (preferably constructive) is part and parcel of the game, but there's absolutely no place for racist abuse. It should be confronted and faced down when it raises its nasty head.

YBIG have highlighted the accounts from which the abuse emanated although I hope these individuals' identities can be uncovered so that they can be properly named and shamed.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast