Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quiet about?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Whilst I personally don't really sing any rebel songs I think there is a difference between old rebel songs and Troubles era rebel songs. I think GR agrees with this. However even if one doesn't think the song itself is offensive one must recognise that it has the capacity to offend some. JD even recognised this when he said he didn't have to agree with every lyric in it. So, at the very least he is guilty of bad judgment, and bad judgment in the context of being CEO of a body whose sport in UK and Ireland has issues with sectarianism rooted in Irish politics and Irish history.

I personally think that could be a resigning issue in many other organisations by itself. However, he hasn't resigned and there has been a lot of internet and newspaper letters support for him because he's only an Irishman singing an Irish song. The Irish Times is peddling a West Brit Agenda. I don't agree, but again that's not the big issue.

The big issue now is the instruction given to lawyers to deny it was JD and to threaten newspapers for telling the truth. Furthermore JD didn't have the decency to admit it was he who issued the denial, it was someone else who gave the lawyers this erroneous info. Then when it became obvious it was him in the video he claimed he was uncontactable by his colleagues because his partner was being cyber bullied (because some idiots wrote about her on YBIG.ie - which I presume she would have to have been reading at the time because the offending posts were deleted) which caused the misunderstanding between the FAI and the lawyers. We are asked to believe she was so shocked that he needed to console her for, what was it, two days? Then she goes and directly forwards insults to Emmet Malone's Twitter account, showing that maybe she is not so sensitive to the issue of cyber bullying after all.

Then the FAI issues a statement saing that the cyber bullying prompted its formal response and that the BoM thinks he doesn't have a case to answer and the matter is now closed. He deserves his highly unusual contractual arrangement because he has done some good stuff.

Nobody has any idea what degree of due process was involved in the BoM arriving at this view.

That's how I see it. We have moved on from the song.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 01/12/2014 at 9:26 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Your call, of course, but it just doesn't work in reverse. Many NI fans are interested in Delaney's antics, often to an obsessive degree. Biggest single reason is the Eligibility row. That could be shrugged off as embittered bigots just letting off steam, but the difference now is that they're enjoying what looks like becoming an extended soap opera. Not least as the NI media have been surprisingly quiet...
    Well that's their issue, really. It's not reciprocated and they don't have a horse in this race. If we're to get rid of Delaney (I hope we do) it won't be because he offended some people north of the border, it will be down to his performance as a football administrator. I'm glad they're entertained - we all are - but ultimately it's not Northern Irish football that is suffering from Delaney's behaviour.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    If anything, TOWK understates: many fans (from all corners of Ireland, and beyond) will feel uncomfortable and/or angry about the specific song JD was singing. Obviously that doesn't mean they ignore the many other valid criticisms of him.
    It's a touchy subject for many, including me, most on OWC as above and many in the wider NI support. Some responses above aren't at all emotive, but they're no more rational as a result.

The problem here isn't republicanism or protestantism, but treating fairly recent paramilitary violence as an excuse for mawkish singalong. Not his only error of judgment, but clearly a big one. There's little point Bonnie reiterating that it isn't an issue, we just won't agree.
    Fair enough, I suppose.

But you do recall that you, like many others, have sung such songs. Even though drink had been taken.
    Ironically, from both sides of the fence!!!

So the usual, er, double standards.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Anyway, far more serious is probably Delaney's other, 'alleged' activities. With which his opponents would rightly have a field day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Do go on.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Already covered elsewhere on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Sure link it so... If it's about John it's relevant.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Not in the public domain for legal reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So covered elsewhere on here but not covered on here for legal reasons?

Hmmmm... Still got my email address? Let me know!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Peter O'Reilly and Mark Tighe co-authored a piece on the issue in yesterday's Sunday Times where they'd obtained a quote from some spokesman or other from Our Wee Country saying that Delaney must lose his position over this. I thought it was a pity because it's not really his place to be making those sort of demands. I'd find it very inappropriate if somebody spoke on behalf of YBIG about the suitability of whoever is in charge of the Nordie association.
    I wouldn't take that "spokesman" seriously. Now, will the real Gary McAllister please stand up?

It's a touchy subject for many, including me, most on OWC as above and many in the wider NI support. Some responses above aren't at all emotive, but they're no more rational as a result.

The problem here isn't republicanism or protestantism, but treating fairly recent paramilitary violence as an excuse for mawkish singalong. Not his only error of judgment, but clearly a big one. There's little point Bonnie reiterating that it isn't an issue, we just won't agree.
    I can appreciate your own (rational) sensitivity to it and why it has the potential to cause both valid rational and emotional distress to a significant proportion of the population in the north. The potential for exaggerated outrage from the serially offended is also worth acknowledging. I was simply explaining my own personal position in relation to the particular song (and how it's possible to distinguish republicanism from anti-Protestantism without necessarily being touchy about it or emotionally-biased), but it's not really all that relevant to the discussion when I can see past that and recognise that there will be others on the island of Ireland who most certainly would not share my personal indifference to Delaney's song choice. That's undeniably an issue and it's why it was indicative of poor judgment on Delaney's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Again, Delaney is a bare-faced liar, but that's not really something that should concern a fan group of a foreign nation either.
    Nation?! I do agree otherwise though. I would never say the IFA's matters are my business, whether that be the conduct of their members, the symbols with which they seek to identify or whatever it is with which they're embarrassing themselves this weather...

The obvious exception in recent years has been my engagement in the eligibility issue which did/does directly involve northern Irish nationals and numerous players one or two degrees of separation away from me personally who are eligible and willing to play for us, so it's only appropriate I would have a justifiable say and a stake in that given I have very-much-immediate family and friends from just across the other side of the border also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The big issue now is the instruction given to lawyers to deny it was JD and to threaten newspapers for telling the truth. Furthermore JD didn't have the decency to admit it was he who issued the denial, it was someone else who gave the lawyers this erroneous info. Then when it became obvious it was him in the video he claimed he was uncontactable by his colleagues because his partner was being cyber bullied (because some idiots wrote about her on YBIG.ie - which I presume she would have to have been reading at the time because the offending posts were deleted) which caused the misunderstanding between the FAI and the lawyers. We are asked to believe she was so shocked that he needed to console her for, what was it, two days? Then she goes and directly forwards insults to Emmet Malone's Twitter account, showing that maybe she is not so sensitive to the issue of cyber bullying after all.
    It's also hard to believe that he was aware of and had seen the abuse on YBIG, that wasn't up for very long at all before being deleted by a moderator, but wasn't aware of the exact nature or description of a video that had surfaced on Balls.ie on the Friday night bearing his and Joe McDonnell's names and that an FAI representative had contacted Balls.ie about on the Saturday morning to threaten with an order for removal. If Delaney had no knowledge of the video or of its content then (and I don't know how he couldn't have, or for the two subsequent days), what qualified the FAI rep to make such a brazen threat to Balls.ie?

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Not in the public domain for legal reasons.
    Is the nature of this allegation too sensitive to even provide a clue?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yes, I believe it is.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I don't have a problem with the song, but I will bet anything this will flare up when England come to town, no doubt about it. Singing the song at the same night English fans were giving an alternative was pretty stupid. FFS there is about a million things he could be doing in a pub rather than doing the rebel "hits". Cough cough! Ha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Again, if Delaney wasn't Chief Executive of the FAI this wouldn't be an issue but he is. He is not a fan. He has duties and responsibilities as a diplomatic representative of our country. It's embarrassing enough seeing a Chief Executive getting publically drunk and making a fool of himself in foreign countries. This just takes it to another level.

Don't mix politics and football. It's a thin line, as Simunic and others have figured out. Somehow I don't think Delaney will get the same punishment though.

Interesting how Stokes actions & sympathies make him an IRA sympathiser in on one argument yet in another Delaney is just a harmless enthusiast of Irish rebel songs. Strange that..

Edit: WTF is he actually thinking like. There are already mild security issues to worry about when we host England. It's extremely foolish behavior when you actually think about it.

As for the YBIG crowd. Not the first time borderline litigious comments have been made. Only difference is now they are under a microscope.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Given the song, I think it is the business of NI fans also.

Delaney singing in a pub - not much for them to care about.

Delany singing song about IRA member, and hunger-striker - I'd say it is their business.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Again, if Delaney wasn't Chief Executive of the FAI this wouldn't be an issue but he is. He is not a fan. He has duties and responsibilities as a diplomatic representative of our country. It's embarrassing enough seeing a Chief Executive getting publically drunk and making a fool of himself in foreign countries. This just takes it to another level.
    He has no diplomatic duties whatsoever outside of his citizenship.
    Again, the issue has moved on from the song. We need to forget about it at this stage and concentrate on the absolutely gubu reaction that occurred after the video appeared and the subsequent denials.

Don't mix politics and football. It's a thin line, as Simunic and others have figured out. Somehow I don't think Delaney will get the same punishment though.
    It's something that someone should attempt to do but not always possible. Comparing Simunic and Delaney and punishments that should be meted out is bizarre. They're barely comparable. Stop bringing it up.

Interesting how Stokes actions & sympathies make him an IRA sympathiser in on one argument yet in another Delaney is just a harmless enthusiast of Irish rebel songs. Strange that..
    Stokes' has a reputation built up over the years.

Attending a benefit for Alan Ryan helps that reputation I suppose.
    http://www.thescore.ie/celtic-warn-i...12003-Dec2012/

And as someone who used to live beside the Players Lounge and used to pop in to watch the odd match from time-to-time. To say the clientele was infamous and questionable was an understatement.

Edit: WTF is he actually thinking like. There are already mild security issues to worry about when we host England. It's extremely foolish behavior when you actually think about it.
    He clearly wasn't. The singing of the song wasn't inherently wrong nor offensive to most.
    The English lads who will want to cause trouble will cause it besides. No need to use JD and his warbling as the reason.

As for the YBIG crowd. Not the first time borderline litigious comments have been made. Only difference is now they are under a microscope.
    Wouldn't kill them to have a moderator alright.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Delany singing song about IRA member, and hunger-striker - I'd say it is their business.
    Meh. You are giving oxygen to the serially offended. This is just the latest thing for some of the knuckledraggers to complain about.

Let the OWC crowd cry and moan. In the meantime let's focus on the real issue and the ridiculous handling of this whole episode by our CEO.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 02/12/2014 at 9:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    In the meantime let's focus on the real issue and the ridiculous handling of this whole episode by our CEO.
    That's the real issue for you obviously, because you don't find the song offensive.

For other people, the song itself may still be a real issue.

And I don't think those people can be neatly dismissed as the 'serially offended' or that it is fair to dictate to people what they can and can't find offensive, or what is or is not their business.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    That's the real issue for you obviously, because you don't find the song offensive.

For other people, the song itself may still be a real issue.

And I don't think those people can be neatly dismissed as the 'serially offended' or that it is fair to dictate to people what they can and can't find offensive, or what is or is not their business.
    And for those, let them continue to fill the airwaves with their bleating over the offensive nature of the song.

Myself and others on here have moved this discussion on repeatedly only for it to be brought back to the "song" again and again.

Do you find it offensive or are you getting offended on behalf of others that you don't know?

I think that with some pretty good accuracy, that to call someone who bleats about this over on OWC or a DUP councillor or Willie Frazer as serial offended is hardly a slur.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts

Myself and others on here have moved this discussion on repeatedly only for it to be brought back to the "song" again and again.
    Maybe that's because people have different ideas on what should be the focus of the discussion.

Do you find it offensive or are you getting offended on behalf of others that you don't know?
    Neither. What I don't agree with is the argument that anyone who finds it offensive only does so because they have an agenda.

I think that with some pretty good accuracy, that to call someone who bleats about this over on OWC or a DUP councillor or Willie Frazer as serial offended is hardly a slur.
    Bleat, moan, knuckle dragger, OWC crowd, serially offended...I think it's very unfair to generalise about people who would be offended by what Delaney was singing about in this way.

Sure there will be people who are only too happy to have something to complain about, but I think it's very unfair to assume that they are the only kind of people who could be offended.
    Last edited by osarusan; 02/12/2014 at 10:14 AM.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Nah, complete nonsense. Not to mention the usual double standards.

Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast