Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Neill 'to quit' Shamrock Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

O'Neill 'to quit' Shamrock Rovers

Today's Sindo claims talks broke down yesterday and he's not signing a new deal with them.

O'Neill to quit Hoops this week after final Euro fling

By CATHAL DERVAN
    Sunday December 11 2011

Michael O'Neill will quit as manager of Shamrock Rovers after Thursday night's Europa League visit of Tottenham Hotspur to Tallaght Stadium.

The Sunday Independent has learned that the 42-year-old has decided to seek a fresh start elsewhere after final talks on a new deal with the Rovers board broke down in Dublin yesterday afternoon.

O'Neill's three-year spell in charge of the revitalised Hoops will come to an end when the 2011 season draws to a close with the final Europa League Group A fixture against Spurs.

Sources close to O'Neill have confirmed that he has no alternative job lined up and that he was keen to remain with Rovers after winning two league titles and the Setanta Cup since his arrival from Brechin City in 2009.

But it is understood that differences in opinion over the direction Rovers will take after their European breakthrough this season caused a rift between O'Neill and the board.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...g-2960323.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Pete Mahon next? *snigger*

Alan Mathews? *horrifed intake of breath*

Kenny Cuningham's name was being thrown around the other day in relation to Bohs....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Ach ffs, I enjoy his weekly slurring on MNS
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    But it is understood that differences in opinion over the direction Rovers will take after their European breakthrough this season caused a rift between O'Neill and the board
    If differences in opinion boil down to MON: "Let me spend more money" Board:"No" etc then this is a good day for the league as a whole.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    That's pretty much the obvious interpretation of it; he wanted to 'invest' the money they earned this year on wages. They're better off letting him go if that was the case.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    Alan Mathews? *horrifed intake of breath*
    That would be a great appointment for Rovers to be honest. He done a great job at Shels and had them playing some lovely football.
    Id say if MON leaves Rovers they would look outside the league for a replacement.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Looks like the old "manager wants to invest in squad" tinge is being put on this story from the off, of course there's no evidence for this but that's never stopped the gossip.

It would be interesting if he turned up in Dundalk tomorrow to take control of the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    MON not getting his way with regards the money that the club is bringing in is the obvious interpretation, alright. I wouldn't be too worried about AM being coaxed away from Shels right now as Shamrock will most likely look outside the league for a replacement.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    This is the same board who sacked Roddy, hired Scully, let him leave after 3 seasons, hired MON and are now letting him walk too after 3 seasons for the same reason Scully was let walk ... looking for mad money!

I have a feeling they might have someone in mind to replace MON already. There are plenty of high profile, experienced managers out there on the dole who would I am sure like to fancy the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Roddy Collins?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Rico looking to get back into management?

No doubting he loves Shams anyway!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Rico would be a good fit, any Cork fans I know will say he was good with the club and brought through some good young lads. Though it might be better for Rovers to go outside of Ireland, and the UK reject pool, to get someone decent. Guus Hiddink? Seriously though, the club could get a very good coach from the continent given their standing.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I'm not so sure continental managers would be interested. While Rovers themselves are a good team in terms of players and facilities, they'll be playing away in grounds like Monaghan's and UCD's. I'd say it would be hard to bring in a manager of any real quality, and despite their admirable achievements this year, they're by no means guaranteed Europa league football next season, without which there is nothing a manager would want to put on his CV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    The old 'quit' angle eh. Pretty hard to quit something when you aren't the manager anymore and not been given a new contract. Fintan Drury's been pimping O'Neill around with no takers. Funny reading O'Neill say the other week he never asked to be interviewed for the Hibs job. Perhaps that was because Drury approached Hibs and told them O'Neill wanted double what Nutsy's on at the moment to be considered. Personally O'Neill being in charge has diluted some of the pleasure of winning the league/taking part in Europa league this season. Here's one happy Hoop who'll enjoy Christmas a bit more this year.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

ooooo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Gutted
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'm not so sure continental managers would be interested. While Rovers themselves are a good team in terms of players and facilities, they'll be playing away in grounds like Monaghan's and UCD's. I'd say it would be hard to bring in a manager of any real quality, and despite their admirable achievements this year, they're by no means guaranteed Europa league football next season, without which there is nothing a manager would want to put on his CV.
    Osarusan, I agree with you to a very, very large degree, but there is also security in Rovers. What I mean is that there are some very useful coaches, who can add to what Rovers have right now, and who'd happily land in Ireland because they know they'll be paid at the end of the month and the players too. I was at a football expo last month and in a discussion with a contact from Greece, he told me some scary stories of what's happening around the place (Greece, Cyprus, Italy, Portugal, Spain) to name the ones where he has players and/or coaches under contract. Here in Russia you have really good coaches and players whose clubs can't pay them (Volga NN no wages for anyone for 6 months, Tom for 7 months - with the club unfunded from January, and on). So if you look at it, the coach will get national champions, playing in CL next year and with money. It might just work.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sean Connor's the man for me.

In all seriousness, the club will have been looking at other options for months now. Michael O'Neill's done an incredible job for the club but the board won't be held to ransom by anybody. I think they'll be looking outside the LOI too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Richard Sadlier?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Richie? Nah, imagine sitting in the board/dressing room listening to his endless list of "former team mates" who did this and that. Paul Cook? Would be a good fit and he puts out (except in cup finals) a good brand of football.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast