Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martin Russell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Maybe Finn was an exception, but there's no particular reason ye couldn't find someone of his standard (especially with Sullivan's money, which we don't have). Ye signed our captain last season for example. Our main problem is that our players are talented but inexperienced. Your experience is a big advantage compared to us. It's hard to directly compare the two.

That was McMillan's first season (well, he played about five minutes the previous year). We had a good team, but they needed to be coached well. We played ye in the first game of the season and to be honest we didn't look any great shakes. We improved over the course of the season, and that was down to Russell's coaching. But against that, while we tried to play passing football under Russell, our defence was porous, shall we say. If he can improve on that at Limerick and still coach well, he'll do ok with ye. If ye start defending like ye did, ye could be in trouble.

I think he's an improvement over Taylor. If that comes across as meh, then I guess it's still an improvement.

I dont think Taylor was terrible tbh.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    You'd know more than me on that obviously.

As I said before, I just think he was a whinebag from my limited listening to him. More interested in having a go at the ref than encouraging his players from the sideline. I may well be wrong on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You'd know more than me on that obviously.

As I said before, I just think he was a whinebag from my limited listening to him. More interested in having a go at the ref than encouraging his players from the sideline. I may well be wrong on that.
    No the whole ref thing got fairly frustrating alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Having gone to plenty of UCD games over the last few years I think Russell would be a fantastic appointment, he kept losing players every season & managed to rebuild, improving the players he had along the way & unlike someone like Fenlon he won't drive away crowds with his style of football

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    its great to see some rather infrequent posters of late truely back firmly in the mix with their contributions...then again a manager had to be axed so no surprise there.so its back to the well again,i was,n a fan of scully but believed having won the ist div[despite the obvious] he should have had at least a season in the prem with us,taylor gets a 3yr deal and is now gone at halftime,now no doubt he created problems for himself ,but imo he should have been left there who ever comes in now will hardly make a huge difference and if it is indeed russell his ..deal.. should be interesting.we just might see leahy in action now given his ucd connection.whether the new man has the b---s to sort out our under performers on AND off the pitch remains to be seen.he needs to first deal with the chosen few who helped taylor on his way ,that in turn may help matters on the field of play.
    Last edited by da bishop; 13/07/2014 at 4:18 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    its great to see some rather infrequent posters of late truely back firmly in the mix with their contributions...then again a manager had to be axed so no surprise there.so its back to the well again,i was,n a fan of scully but believed having won the ist div[despite the obvious] he should have had at least a season in the prem with us,taylor gets a 3yr deal and is now gone at halftime,now no doubt he created problems for himself ,but imo he should have been left there who ever comes in now will hardly make a huge difference and if it is indeed russell his ..deal.. should be interesting.we just might see leahy in action now given his ucd connection.whether the new man has the b---s to sort out our under performers on AND off the pitch remains to be seen.he needs to first deal with the chosen few who helped taylor on his way ,that in turn may help matters on the field of play.
    most of the "chosen few" who have under performed were either brought to the club or kept at the club by Taylor. I do think the board have gotten off very lightly in all this as well though. No one seems to have questioned why we gave a manager with such little experience, such a long contract on such good terms. To me it seems like he was recommended by someone and hadn't even applied in the first place, so we had to "tempt" him with an offer. Fingers should definitely be pointed at some of the higher ups in the club who left Taylor in a very unfortunate situation and you'd imagine if Pat O'Sullivan is as shrewd a business man as he is supposed to be, there will probably be some reshuffling behind the scenes. (I don't think it's had anything to do with the CEO leaving either, just coincidental timing)
    next match isn't until Sat 26th July now, so should give the new manager plenty of time to work out what he needs and put some structure to it. The breaks fallen nicely, so let's hope the teams below us have a bit of a stinker in the next couple of weeks.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Russell hasn't actually been appointed though, right?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Certainly not been announced anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    Having gone to plenty of UCD games over the last few years I think Russell would be a fantastic appointment, he kept losing players every season & managed to rebuild, improving the players he had along the way & unlike someone like Fenlon he won't drive away crowds with his style of football
    He developed some players, and others players float away into nothingness. No different from any UCD manager that I can remember.

Got them promoted in 2009 and kept them up since. His defences were always atrocious though.

Great player and is apparently a great coach. Really can't see how anyone can think he's a great manager though based on UCD's results/performances
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    6pm announcement according to John O Sullivan on twitter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    All signs pointing to Russell. He deserves the fans support while he tries to put his stamp on things, no doubt there will be a lot of pressure on him too so lets see what happens in the transfer window now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Ya if it is as expected Russell then I'll give him my full support. Has a few weeks yet to bring in a few players at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He developed some players, and others players float away into nothingness. No different from any UCD manager that I can remember.

Got them promoted in 2009 and kept them up since. His defences were always atrocious though.

Great player and is apparently a great coach. Really can't see how anyone can think he's a great manager though based on UCD's results/performances

What is your base expectation for UCD? Given the average age of their side & consistently losing their better players I think lower Prem is a good return.

Compare him with Callaghan this year & this is one of the worst UCD sides I remember, bar 3 or 4 players they are terrible, I know they just beat Sligo but I was there & it didn't change my opinion they are the worst side in the league & will probably get relegated

I will agree defensively his sides aren't the best but that is a by-product of trying to play good open football with one of the weaker sides in the league. This was something that labelled at Roberto Martinez at Wigan, but then some people would have asked a yr ago how could he be a good manager if he got his side relegated..........

I go to these games as neutral so maybe my viewpoint is different but I'd much rather watch a Martin Russell side over one managed by Paul Doolin, Pete Mahon or Aaron Callaghan

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    I go to these games as neutral so maybe my viewpoint is different but I'd much rather watch a Martin Russell side over one managed by Paul Doolin, Pete Mahon or Aaron Callaghan
    You make plenty of fair points but as a non neutral at Limerick games I can promise you that I would rather win 1-0 (or draw 0-0) than lose 4-3 every time.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Russell it is then and best of luck to him and of course he will have everyones support.he has quite a job to do given the squad has,n his stamp on it and Taylors backroom team awaiting him,he seems a decent..nice... fella and by all accounts a good coach one hopes though thats masking a managerial steelness thats going to be needed to sort out the lot of them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Best of luck to Martin,a change of voice will help a lot.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    martin russell wasnt a bad manager with ucd.he hadnt much too play with at ucd and now its a great opportunity for him to make a name for himself at a bigger club.he needs to get rid of some deadwood and if possible get a few new faces in before the window closes.if we could only start getting more people to go to the matches it would be a big lift to the team and club.i wish him well in his new job and hope it works out for him and the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Anyone any idea whos decision it was for Russell to keep the backroom staff that are at the club? Unusual for a manger to not at least bring in his own assistant was wondering was he made to keep them considering the assistant that is there was put in place with no input from the manager at the time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Anyone any idea whos decision it was for Russell to keep the backroom staff that are at the club? Unusual for a manger to not at least bring in his own assistant was wondering was he made to keep them considering the assistant that is there was put in place with no input from the manager at the time.
    Possible there were no other options? Crazy that we have employed someone without the qualifications as an assistant manager as well though...

I wish the season could just end tomorrow. The longer it goes on, the more disheartening it's becoming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin4 View Post
    Possible there were no other options? Crazy that we have employed someone without the qualifications as an assistant manager as well though... I wish the season could just end tomorrow. The longer it goes on, the more disheartening it's becoming.
    Has to be people that Russell would know surely, he had someone with him at the side of the pitch at the Carew Park game. Fennelly has just gotten the badges I think. Its just more replacing quality with garbage going from Malky to this fella that Taylor never even wanted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12