Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Football in Shannon 2014/15

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Old git I don't know who you are or if your just trying to stir ****e. Shannon town don't think they are a super club nor do they think they will ever be one. If you are getting info off an ex hibs member he is telling you lies. If you want,talk to me when you see me & ask me I'll tell the truth & I'll even keep your identity a secret ��. I will say it again the name would be an issue. Other things could be sorted I'm sure. Comments like yours certainly don't help any chance of an amalgamation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gerardkelly View Post
    Old git I don't know who you are or if your just trying to stir ****e. Shannon town don't think they are a super club nor do they think they will ever be one. If you are getting info off an ex hibs member he is telling you lies. If you want,talk to me when you see me & ask me I'll tell the truth & I'll even keep your identity a secret ��. I will say it again the name would be an issue. Other things could be sorted I'm sure. Comments like yours certainly don't help any chance of an amalgamation
    Gerry that's fair enough so , personally I don't see any issue with the name Shannon town after all ye are the original club in Shannon and park/ newtown members were involved with you before they broke away unfortunatly I see two many people involved with both clubs to have alot more issues with amalgamation that just a name change ... I would have no problem with amalgamation as I think I would benefit both clubs and improve standards of soccer in Shannon

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Side Cutter View Post
    Lads hibs have a manager in place for next season. They will be playing in division 1b. Donal magee was asked and turned it down. Gerdy,ollie,mark mckee and jimmy dunne were never asked. Thanks for your time
    well side cutter who is it or do we have to wait for press conference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    lads any dates yet for this year's Wesley webb

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    just wondering why the name is so important to everybody?

for those that don't want to let it go?
    and for those who don't want to roll in with it?

For me it should be the last thing or else people (who argue over it) are not putting the right reasons for an amalgamation forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't think the name should be a major issue for Hibs, as someone already said, they both gave up their original names to become Hibs, so why not just bite the bullet and at least say they are open to a 'name change', if they are even open to an amalgamation. I think that once the amalgamation is clearly shown in the clubs history / records, then it should not be an issue. Would 'Shannon Town United' not be the best name choice, because basically that's what a single club would be trying to achieve.

There really is the bones of a very good club in Shannon. Each club has a lot of pros and each has some cons, but if common ground could be found and a proper development plan put in place (a 5/10 year plan), then and only then could some positive changes take place.

Amalgamation (imo) is the right thing for the Town, but unfortunately it will probably never happen. I do hope I am proved wrong.

I suppose people let history dictate their future (or at least cloud their judgement), what's gone is gone, it didn't or hasn't worked, everyone should be looking forward, not backwards.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    it does seem that there are plenty with thoughts on it being a good thing overall. I wonder how many of these people sit on the said committees and have any influence.

It would be a great think to do

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Shannon United?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    well side cutter who is it or do we have to wait for press conference
    Press conference this week old git. All will be revealed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Shannon Town would be a perfectly acceptable name, surely if Newtown and Park already changed, then that would not be a deal breaker.

Does anyone know if amalgamation was even discussed by either club this year ? Not sure if the topic was even mentioned at AGM's - anyone shed some light on this ?

I'm sure at this stage, it's too late for Amalgamation for next season anyway.

Junior football in Shannon is at a low level, not enough genuine interest, structure, or talent at any single club to allow either club to be successful. No disrepect to Olympic, because they have had a very good year, albeit it in Clare 2nd division. Truth be told, if the best players in Shannon (top 18 or so) played together, they would still be too weak for Limerick Premier division - they would get promoted, but would do well to stay up the following year. I don't know what it would take to have a team capable of challenging the Limerick Prem division.

Not that it's all about that, but long term, surely that must be the target. Under the current set-ups it will never happen. Success for Hibs can hardly be limping along the way they have been, and likewise for Shannon Town. Whilst Shannon Town would be an a bit of a better place, the reality is they are not that far ahead.

Maybe the players are afraid of amalgamation. because it means the best players (theoretically) would be fighting for places in a single team - it could jeopardise some players positions ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Not much to add to what has already been said.. It's the right way forward IMO. There's some seriously talented young footballers coming through at hibs and town ATM. Would deff sit comfortably in limerick prem if the two clubs became one in the future I think!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Who are these young lads you are on about .if they were as talented as you say would they not have been playing junior football last year..I don't recall seeing many young lads for either club last year when I watched them

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Second View Post
    Who are these young lads you are on about .if they were as talented as you say would they not have been playing junior football last year..I don't recall seeing many young lads for either club last year when I watched them
    Didn't mean the present..Go and watch some schoolboy matches and you'll see for yourself! The talent is there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuffleruns View Post
    Didn't mean the present..Go and watch some schoolboy matches and you'll see for yourself! The talent is there.
    Id look a bit weird going watching schoolboy matches at my age.. but I'll take your word for it..

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I still think that is needs a few brave people, who are not tied to a club presently, to assist (mediate) in an amalgamation.

It would be good to see if any of the existing committees would be in favour of it. It has to be the way forward as with the current rate it is just turning people away from football and if it does become a last man standing thing, then that club would be at a loss. They should not be working against each other but join to for the better for football in Shannon. There is no reason that having the right structure and getting the right people involved (numerous players who played LOI) back involved would help with the interest of players in Shannon.

I also think that as per some comments a neutral name is the way to go, otherwise those amalgamating would just be seen to fold into 'Shannon Town' rather than the clubs joining to become one club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As shuffleruns said the only realistic way forward is the younger talent coming through the clubs, limerick prem is just a step to far for any shannon team at the moment! As we seen over the last few years with hibs and town getting relegated quite easily! There is 5 teams in shannon including A and Bs whose squad average maybe 15/16 players. If the amalgamation did happen would that not leave alot of lads not being able to play ball each season?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Melon View Post
    As shuffleruns said the only realistic way forward is the younger talent coming through the clubs, limerick prem is just a step to far for any shannon team at the moment! As we seen over the last few years with hibs and town getting relegated quite easily! There is 5 teams in shannon including A and Bs whose squad average maybe 15/16 players. If the amalgamation did happen would that not leave alot of lads not being able to play ball each season?
    There is enough divisions in limerick league to accomadate all these players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There may be squads of 15/16, but a lot of clubs have 10 players (sometimes less) shwoing up for training, at various times clubs had 12/13 for matches and were scrambling for players. But as second said, there is enough divisions in Limerick to accomodate all players.

Two Feet hit the nail on the head with his post, the only issue is that I don't think the name thing should be such a major item to Hibs, if it's for the betterment of football and to better develop facilities in the town, then the name should not hold it back.
    Park Rangers and Newtown could be someway added to the crest to show them as truly being part of the club - what are peoples thoughts on that ? Name stays as Shannon Town, but some symbol added to the crest for Park and Newtown, would help keep all happy ?
    There is young talent coming through (years away yet, and not all will follow through), and players in the town with LOI experience, coupled with a striong club and with the current crop of genuine players - there is the making of something good there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Side Cutter View Post
    Press conference this week old git. All will be revealed...
    press conference in darcy's or the knight's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Football-Unites View Post
    There may be squads of 15/16, but a lot of clubs have 10 players (sometimes less) shwoing up for training, at various times clubs had 12/13 for matches and were scrambling for players. But as second said, there is enough divisions in Limerick to accomodate all players.

Two Feet hit the nail on the head with his post, the only issue is that I don't think the name thing should be such a major item to Hibs, if it's for the betterment of football and to better develop facilities in the town, then the name should not hold it back.
    Park Rangers and Newtown could be someway added to the crest to show them as truly being part of the club - what are peoples thoughts on that ? Name stays as Shannon Town, but some symbol added to the crest for Park and Newtown, would help keep all happy ?
    There is young talent coming through (years away yet, and not all will follow through), and players in the town with LOI experience, coupled with a striong club and with the current crop of genuine players - there is the making of something good there.
    Maybe it also needs more new people to get involved with clubs / committee level and bring new idea's /approaches and even have a say in decision on any future amalgamation.. like the idea with the crest and would have no problem with name of club as Shannon town

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast