Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Edinburgh

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Edinburgh

Heading to Edinburgh in late October for my sister's wedding. Can anyone recommend good hotels(not to pricey), restaurants pubs and sights (apart from the obvious choice of the castle)
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Eugh. Edinburgh. Being stranded there during Winter 2010 has sullied the place mo end for me.
    Stayed in the Ibis on Hunter Square which Is a savage spot altogether.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Usually stay with my sister so dont really know where is good but I did stay in Jurys once and it was fine and central...just around the corner from the train station and the bus from airport.

Do not leave Edinburgh without going to Camera Obscura near the castle. The camera itself is just ok but the fun to be had in the hall of illusions (especially with a few drinks in ya!) is class. The maze of mirrors and the time tunnel are just top notch. Brings out the kid in you.

The Real Mary King's Close is good, but not near as scary or eerie as you would think. I didn't do the Edinburgh Dungeons but did the London ones and it was brill so am sure the Edinburgh one is as good.

Do a bus tour coz it really is worth the money to find out the history. Go visit Blackfriars bobby's grave and cry a little....oops that mite just be me.

Go to our Dynamic Earth if you have kids with you who are into geography and science, its fantastic and my sister works there part time so ask for the wee Irish girl!

Pubs wise, when I have been there I have been going out with students so its student bars but the 3 Sisters in Cowgate is a good place to watch sport, particularly Irish sports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I lived there for a year, and thought it was brilliant, yet cannot recommend a single specific thing about the place! Easter Road is a decent ground if you fancy a bit of footie I suppose, and if you don't mind a bit of a walk, it's a great view from Arthur's Seat.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Must say I loved Edinburgh, vibrant town, but has a very old feel in places, very old. Weight of history kind of thing. Lot of lives lived. And ended. Super spot if you're any way historically inclined.

Obvious choice, but the Castle is a must-see, I'd have no problem spending the whole day in the place for a third time.
    If you've a head for heights and narrow stairs you can climb up the Scott Monument, decent view from up there too, though not a patch on Arthur's Seat.
    The Edinburgh Dungeon thing is good fun, bit schlocky in parts, and too scary for small kids in a couple of places, but worth a look.
    As dark descends in the evening take one of the walking Ghost tours, you're brought around a few places on the surface at first, then end up underground in one of the many haunted sites in the city - the one that goes under the South Bridge and finishes up in the Nicol Edwards pub on Niddry St we went on, was good craic. You can book the night-time ones earlier in the day too, the guides usually hang about the Tron Kirk on the corner of the High St when not taking a tour.

And do at least get a day ticket for the hop-on-hop-off bus, preferably the one that covers two or three of the routes, then you can get around town to the various sights and your strategically located hotel, as well as getting the actual tour (some of the tour guides are quite witty too).
    Failing that (dunno if you'll be there long enough), if you have access to a car you could maybe think of hightailing it off to the country for the day. Half an hour will have you well over the Forth Bridge and heading for the Cairngorms, or through Stirling towards the Trossachs.

Not too well up on Edinburgh pubs but Grassmarket seems to have a reasonable concentration of decent ones, and I remember the White Hart there as not a bad spot for a pint and live music.
    The Ibis mentioned above (on Hunter Square just off South Bridge, in turn just yards off High St/Royal Mile) is a very good base, no frills but very central, and right across the street from the Tron Pub (named after that nearby kirk, I'm told, not the sci-fi turkey), which has, or had at least, a quite tidy little comedy club deep (and I mean deep) in its bowels.
    Also stayed in the Thistle St James in the new town on the other side of the station, just off the business end of Prince's Street at the top of Leith Walk, that was good, and reasonable too.
    Both these hotels are less than five minutes from Waverley Bridge in the centre of the city, which is where you pick up the tour buses.
    Last edited by stann; 20/07/2012 at 6:20 PM. Reason: '-d'
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Thank for all the advice. Looking forward to the trip now
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    My favourite pub in the city is probably the Brass Monkey on Drummond Street. Bit hard to explain where it is, but google maps is your friend. Decent priced pints, good atmosphere, and worth the visit for the look on the girls faces in the bathroom when they realise they have to share a hand basin and mirror with the boys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Girlfriend wants to go to Scotland for a city break. Which is better, Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Depends which TOWK turns up?

Seriously though, Glasgow is underrated and Edinburgh is overrated. So to be safe you should go to Falkirk.
    Glasgow is better craic to go out in. But Edinburgh is more romantic and prettier in the conventional sense.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Edinburgh is a beautiful city, but if it's raining, then there's no point going sightseeing.

Glasgow is a great spot, but alike anywhere else, you need to have some sort of guide telling you where to avoid, as there's a fair few dodgy spots.

Essentially, if you're looking for a good night out, head to Glasgow, but while there, if you're lucky to get good weather, take a day trip up to Edinburgh for a look around.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Haven't been to Glasgow but I've made a fair few trips to Edinburgh. It's pretty much the ideal short break city. Loads to see, small enough to get around very easily and lively enough at night. If staying more than a couple of days I'd highly recommend this day trip: http://www.thehairycoo.com/
    The castle is worth a visit too, great views and the military museum is interesting.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Edinburgh is a beautiful city, but if it's raining, then there's no point going sightseeing.

Glasgow is a great spot, but alike anywhere else, you need to have some sort of guide telling you where to avoid, as there's a fair few dodgy spots.

Essentially, if you're looking for a good night out, head to Glasgow, but while there, if you're lucky to get good weather, take a day trip up to Edinburgh for a look around.
    Were you speaking Irish in the taxi again, Nigel? For shame, you know they don't like that.

Having briefly been to both, I prefer Glasgow. Edinburgh is more like Dublin though, which might be why I liked the contrast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    If Edinburgh is like Dublin, Glasgow is like Belfast.
    Love Edinburgh myself and head there a few times a year. IMO, Glasgow is, like Belfast, grim, somewhat dangerous and full of sectarianism.
    If you're bringing the girlfriend, has to be Edinburgh. Far prettier town, some pretty nice restaurants and bars. Fly to Prestwick with Ryanair, and let her do some shopping in Glasgow if that's what she'd be into.