Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Roy slams Hazard http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ing-pitch.html

Perhaps not the best thing to do when we're due to face him in the Euros ?

Like Mourinho he is taking the pressure off the players.

I wonder if they will similarly stab him in the back for his troubles?

‘If I was a team-mate of his I would kick him up and down the training pitch", the secret Man U's success during his time playing there no doubt!
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 19/02/2016 at 5:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    O'Neill to be studio guest for Arsenal - Barcelona on TV3 next Tuesday: https://twitter.com/TV3SportIreland/...46543603294208
    Rep of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill will be @TV3Ireland's special studio guest for #Arsenal v Barcelona on Tuesday. #TV3UCL #COYBIG
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    O'Neill linked with Nottingham Forest job, does this mean he's about to sign a new contract?!

It does sound like a job that could appeal to him, nostalgia wise, but then he possibly left his heart rule his head with the Sunderland job and that didn't work too well.

Martin O'Neill is the man Nottingham Forest have targeted to be their next manager

Three years on, will Martin O'Neill change his tune about Nottingham Forest job?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 16/04/2016 at 3:31 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    O'Neill linked with Nottingham Forest job, does this mean he's about to sign a new contract?!

It does sound like a job that could appeal to him, nostalgia wise, but then he possibly left his heart rule his head with the Sunderland job and that didn't work too well.

http://m.nottinghampost.com/Martin-O-Neill-man-Nottingham-Forest-targeted/story-29118301-detail/story.html
    Is that link for a mobile phone? Somehow it doesn't open up.

Forest have intent to grab O'Neill, it would appear
    'Fawaz Al Hasawi is ready to promise the Irishman full control of team affairs in an effort to lure him back to the City Ground'

Here are links to 2 stories
    Martin O'Neill is the man Nottingham Forest have targeted to be their next manager

Three years on, will Martin O'Neill change his tune about Nottingham Forest job?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Is that link for a mobile phone? Somehow it doesn't open up.
    Sorry, it was but it should have still opened only I made a mess of it. Fixed now with another link added also.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    'You're turning into a right wee McGeady.' Got sipped coffee all over my keyboard...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...ublic-of-irel/

Restless Martin O’Neill demands success from his Republic of Ireland squad at Euro 2016

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...eers-1.2673651

FAI maintains silence on Martin O’Neill’s use of word ‘queers’

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    A juvenile schoolboy-humour-type gag from O'Neill. Pretty much a variation of: "I wouldn't want people to think we're gay, 'cause isn't being gay so funny and weird?! Lolz!"

Football is the last bastion of tolerated homophobia - there are plenty of fans who would find that joke funny because they think there is something wrong or abnormal about being gay - and O'Neill, usually so intelligent and considered, should know better than to stigmatise like that. I'd be surprised if he was homophobic deep-down and this is probably just him trying to be a bit edgy with his sense of humour, but I think a retraction/apology would be worthwhile along with some sort of acknowledgement from the FAI instead of dodging controversy as usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    A juvenile schoolboy-humour-type gag from O'Neill. Pretty much a variation of: "I wouldn't want people to think we're gay, 'cause isn't being gay so funny and weird?! Lolz!"

Football is the last bastion of tolerated homophobia - there are plenty of fans who would find that joke funny because they think there is something wrong or abnormal about being gay - and O'Neill, usually so intelligent and considered, should know better than to stigmatise like that. I'd be surprised if he was homophobic deep-down and this is probably just him trying to be a bit edgy with his sense of humour, but I think a retraction/apology would be worthwhile along with some sort of acknowledgement from the FAI instead of dodging controversy as usual.
    Agreed, I think the Irish Times report is very well even-handed in its treatment of it, especially when you consider what they'd make it of across the water:

In both instances, the comments were clearly meant humorously. O’Neill, who comes across as both intelligent and considered, shows no outward signs of either misogyny or homophobia but fairly regular ones of a dated and occasionally, given his position, somewhat inappropriate sense of humour.
    He routinely apologises during his press conferences for how awful his jokes are, which in itself appears to be part of a comic routine but now, as in March, he appears surprisingly slow to say sorry when his jokes stray into genuinely offensive territory.
    But it's ugly and disappointing, particularly if you really like MON because of his intelligence and off-beat humour. And the FAI won't say anything because it will be blown away never to be mentioned again once the football starts. Regrettably.

Depressing.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 06/06/2016 at 6:40 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I was told about this, and thought Today FM obviously purposely kept it quiet, but someone obviously mentioned it to the papers.

I think Martin felt that he was amongst friends, its not a proper FAI/media related thing, so what he said could be said amongst friends and the guard was down.

What he said isn't right of course, but at least it was refreshing that he was willing to be that open and honest and (in his mind funny), which he must have been to make those jokes - he must have felt very relaxed.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I thought his WAGS comment was brilliant in the context it was made, and would have suggested to anybody who got offended by it to grow a pair. This is completely different though. I kind of feel sorry for him because presumably he's not homophobic and got carried away in the moment. It's a stone age expression though and highly insulting. You'd really only expect it to come from the lips of an imbecile in this day and age. I'm holding out a bit of hope that there'll be an apology yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I was told about this, and thought Today FM obviously purposely kept it quiet, but someone obviously mentioned it to the papers.

I think Martin felt that he was amongst friends, its not a proper FAI/media related thing, so what he said could be said amongst friends and the guard was down.

What he said isn't right of course, but at least it was refreshing that he was willing to be that open and honest and (in his mind funny), which he must have been to make those jokes - he must have felt very relaxed.
    Ewan MacKenna had tweeted something the other day about O'Neill having used a slur recently and stated his surprise at how the media hadn't covered it at all. He was vague and gave no further detail as to what the slur actually was. I was curious, but I realise now he was obviously referring to this. The tweet has however since been deleted, which is odd.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Well I think there is a good rapport and atmopshere around the team and the public at the moment, that even the most caustic of journalists are holding back. Having said that, I am still surprised Dunphy hasn't used it as a stick to beat him with.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yet...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I thought his WAGS comment was brilliant in the context it was made, and would have suggested to anybody who got offended by it to grow a pair. This is completely different though. I kind of feel sorry for him because presumably he's not homophobic and got carried away in the moment. It's a stone age expression though and highly insulting. You'd really only expect it to come from the lips of an imbecile in this day and age. I'm holding out a bit of hope that there'll be an apology yet.
    I agree. I thought the WAGs joke was funny too, in its context. This is different and O'Neill is a smart enough guy to know that. Really disappointing and an apology is due. Simple apology and move on.

It's interesting to note in the context of Paul Kimmage's article yesterday bemoaning the deterioration in the relationship between the Irish team and media since 2002 and earlier. Kimmage says the trust has been breached. I blame Tom Humpries and his editor myself, but others won't I'm sure.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    O'Neill is gone down in my estimation to be honest, almost as much for not holding his hand up and acknowledging how tasteless a comment it was as for the comment itself! Delorean hit the nail on the head, it's a word that we've come to expect only for the lips of the totally ignorant these days and it's disappointing to say the least that A) he would say it at all and B) that it's not seen as something worth ignoring by his employers.

Backwards isn't the word...
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i dont know why you are expecting an apology, he hasnt even thought about the comment himself, because to him there probably wasn't anything wrong with it.

and i would say most have moved on. I was told everyone at the event found it funny, or at least those who didnt stayed silent.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The term "queer" has been reclaimed, but it can of course still possess very derogatory connotations when used by someone outside the LGBTQ community.

I wanted to see if the FAI had an anti-homophobia programme/policy or anything and had a Google search. Came across this: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

It states that the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network (GLEN) withdrew from the FAI's intercultural advisory group win 2010 after just one meeting when the FAI could not agree that homophobia in the game would be addressed by the programme. GLEN had been nominated by the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform and SARI to join the group.

I did also come across this, which is a document outlining "best practice" for the intercultural programme. For dealing with "inappropriate behaviour and language", it advises:

1. Challenge the individual directly
    2. Report the incident to the authority or person who is charged with dealing with it. The route you pursue depends on your role in football, how confident and skilled you are at dealing with the issue and negotiating conflict, and the circumstances in which the incident occurred. If you pursue the first route, and it is not successful, you can subsequently pursue the second.

Challenging Behaviour Directly

As officials within your club or organisation you all have a responsibility to challenge racist, provocative or abusive behaviour or language.

For example:

• A club official or manager may object in their official capacity to a homophobic remark directly with the person who makes it.
    • A committee member may directly challenge another committee member for mimicking disabled people or foreign nationals.
    • Individuals may challenge inappropriate remarks and behaviours informally amongst the team, club or organisation members.

Challenging behaviour directly with the person or people responsible can be a daunting experience. It is even more daunting if the person you are challenging is in a senior or powerful position, or part of a dominant group which denies the behaviour is inappropriate or colludes with it. However, as with all potential abuse situations, taking action to stop the behaviour escalating is crucial.
    Not sure when the latter document was published, mind.

Page 81 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast