Page 63 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2544

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That really deserved a few more 'Thanks'!
    Cheers. I try my best.

(If only we had a Marty)
    Last edited by The Fly; 25/11/2014 at 4:55 PM.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Agreed, but 'our source' is a mutual friend who's usually pretty reliable with such matters and whose source is one of the more credible members of the FAI...
    I've heard it from a couple of sources I'd trust but it's been hawked around the media for a couple of months now and no one is biting on it....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think i know what this is but it's fairly common knowledge and it's a lot older than a few months!! Lots of people doing it though so there might not be the same interest.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    There was some comments from MON in the Sun yesterday stating he has discovered two new players whom are currently playing the the championship. Didnt mention their names
    Was Nathan Redmond ever approached? Could he be one?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    O'Neill said in January he was going to speak with Redmond "next month" - which is I assume happened. Redmond was playing for England U21s as recently as this month though and has been spoken of highly by Hodgson so doubt it's him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,320 Posts
    Would Redmond add anything to the squad that we don't already have in McClean, Brady, McGeady and Pilkington?

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    O'Neill has plenty of Championship standard Irish born and bred players to chose from if he wants to widen the net. It bugs me that even before he sat down at his desk, so to speak, he bemoaned the lack of talent coming through and now his answer seems to be to seek out Irish eligible players from the Championship. I hope they are worth the effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    O'Neill has plenty of Championship standard Irish born and bred players to chose from if he wants to widen the net. It bugs me that even before he sat down at his desk, so to speak, he bemoaned the lack of talent coming through and now his answer seems to be to seek out Irish eligible players from the Championship. I hope they are worth the effort.
    Does it bug you that he said it or that he thinks it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    If one was to believe the papers, Redmond has been linked with a £10m move to Liverpool, to rescue their season no less.

Maybe MON knows more about our hopefuls than we think and just doesn't rate the majority.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Does it bug you that he said it or that he thinks it?
    That he said it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    That he said it.
    Fair enough.

Why does it annoy you?
    Last edited by The Fly; 25/11/2014 at 2:28 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If one was to believe the papers, Redmond has been linked with a £10m move to Liverpool, to rescue their season no less.

Maybe MON knows more about our hopefuls than we think and just doesn't rate the majority.
    He has a good agent alright.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Fair enough.

Why does it annoy you?
    Because I don't think he should be talking our players down in public. It sounded like he was getting his excuses in early.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Because I don't think he should be talking our players down in public. It sounded like he was getting his excuses in early.
    I suspected that was the reason so I suppose the question was somewhat rhetorical in nature.

I wouldn't have a strong opinion on it as, for me, the lack of quality has been self-evident for a long time. I'd say he was merely calling a spade a spade as opposed to getting his excuses in early, but I take your point on 'talking our players down in public'.
    Last edited by The Fly; 25/11/2014 at 4:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Was reading a bit of Keane's book last night, the chapter about his time at Ipswich. He kept going on about how it never felt right, and laboured the point about Ipswich wearing blue just felt wrong to him, that City and Rangers wear blue! He accepted that it was probably a childish mindset but it was there nonetheless. Seems utterly ridiculous to me to be honest, he wore blue countless times at United and arguably his two biggest rivals (Liverpool & Arsenal) wore red anyway. For a guy obviously so keep to get back into management, has he now ruled out teams who wear blue primarily? I'd imagine the chairmen of some predominantly blue wearing football clubs, amongst others, have ruled him out anyway. On the plus side, it may come as some sort of relief to OwlsFan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Was reading a bit of Keane's book last night, the chapter about his time at Ipswich. He kept going on about how it never felt right, and laboured the point about Ipswich wearing blue just felt wrong to him, that City and Rangers wear blue! He accepted that it was probably a childish mindset but it was there nonetheless. Seems utterly ridiculous to me to be honest, he wore blue countless times at United and arguably his two biggest rivals (Liverpool & Arsenal) wore red anyway. For a guy obviously so keep to get back into management, has he now ruled out teams who wear blue primarily? I'd imagine the chairmen of some predominantly blue wearing football clubs, amongst others, have ruled him out anyway. On the plus side, it may come as some sort of relief to OwlsFan!
    As childish as it sounds, I too have a dislike of teams wearing blue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    We all have mad reasons for hating teams. I hated Pats originally because they wore "Arsenal" colours. Now I hate them for the more altruistic reason because they are [insert abusive term here].
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Red is an aggressive colour, blue is a peaceful one, I think it does have a psychological effect.
    A team in red seems more threatening than one in blue.

There seems to be scientific evidence for it too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...-win-more.html
    Researchers found that those who wear red tops, jackets or clothing score 10 per cent more in any competition than if they were in another colour.

Experts believe that red could make individuals and teams feel more confident as well as being perceived by others as more aggressive and dominant.

The findings could explain why Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, have been so successful,. On the other hand, the results could suggest that the success of those teams has given those that wear the red colour more confidence.

United and Liverpool have won a record 18 league titles, while Arsenal have had an uninterrupted run in the top flight for longer than any other team.

England's victorious World Cup team in 1966, led by Bobby Moore wore red, instead of their usual white, and have not won a World Cup or European Championship since.

The study, by German sports psychologists at the University of Munster, was reported in New Scientist magazine. They showed video clips of taekwondo bouts to 42 experienced referees. One combatant wore blue, the other red.
    They then showed them the same clips but digitally manipulated the clothing to swap the colours. The fighters wearing red were given an average of 13 per cent more points than when they were blue.
    "If one competitor is strong and the other weak, it won't change the outcome of the fight," said Norbert Hagemann, who led the study. "But the closer the levels, the easier it is for the colour to tip the scale."
    In 2004 scientists at Durham University also looked at how colour influenced sporting competitiveness. They analysed Olympic combat sports such as boxing, taekwondo, Graeco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling and found that nearly 55 per cent of bouts were won by the competitor in red.

"There is now good experimental evidence that red stimuli are perceived as dominant and that they cause negative effects on performance in those viewing them," said Robert Burton, one of the researchers. "It is plausible that wearing red also makes individuals feel more confident, although this hasn't yet been tested."
    So it seems Roys beliefs are fairly well grounded.

Red is the colour of blood and I think most people would expect a bloodied opponent to fight
    harder than an unbloodied one.

It is not quite working in the Premiereship at the moment with Chelsea topping the league.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 28/11/2014 at 1:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    It's also the colour of CAAAAARK BOY!!!! The besT county and city in all of AWWWRLIIIND YOU LANGAWWWR!!!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    We all like certain colours... I wasn't questioning Keane for preferring red, I was questioning him for not being grown up and professional enough to put it to one side. He seemed to have really good time for Everton also which seems a total contradiction, even to the point where he indicated that he slightly regretting not joining them after United. It seemed to really grate on him, he should have tried to pull a Vincent Tan.