Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks Trap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Trap

Just said I'd counteract the other thread with regards the breaking news.

Things had obviously ran their course and I'm happy this has been sorted out quickly. I, for one, wish Trap all the best and am grateful we had him as manager, although after the Euros would have been the best time to go, certainly with the benefit of hindsight. A gentleman with the utmost dignity, even if there are a hundred and one things that led to frustration during his time in charge.

Hopefully now we get the right man in.

Giovanni Trapattoni leaves Ireland post

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Here here.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Perspectives have been lost of what damage Trap is supposed to have inflicted on the irish soccer public and the intl team.
    Generally he did well up to Nov 2011, after that date (in an about turn) his personality and mentality began to take its toll on our team. Some people may scorn about the kudos due to Trap for getting that away win against Armenia, or the easy away win against Macedonia, but they don't know anything.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    if you had said after the 1-1 draw at home to Cyprus that we would be at a World Cup play off in two years, and qualify for a tournament two years later, you'd have been laughed off the forum. Yet, that's where Trapattoni brought us.
    I'm genuinely sorry to see him go, and I fear for the future of the game here with GAA in the ascendancy again, and rugby still drawing massive viewing numbers, but I have to admit it was one qualification tournament too many.

I think in time, his majority of his tenure will be remembered well.

Thanks for the memories Trapattoni, Paris, Poznan, etc,
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Yes, would echo the above sentiments.
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I think he'll be remembered a lot better than he is today. It's definitely time for him to go as his ideas haven't come off this qualification campaign but The Best Fans In The World Eva seem to forget what a state the national team was in when he took over and what he achieved in his first two campaigns. Sure Euro 2012 was disappointing, but we were in an extremely tough group against the two eventual finalists (one of whom is arguably the greatest international side ever) and a strong Croatia side. We were the weak link of the group and were shown to be as much at the tournament, nothing more, nothing less.

I think in four years time people will look at Trap's tenure with a great deal more fondness than they're giving it now

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Just said I'd counteract the other thread with regards the breaking news.

Things had obviously ran their course and I'm happy this has been sorted out quickly. I, for one, wish Trap all the best and am grateful we had him as manager, although after the Euros would have been the best time to go, certainly with the benefit of hindsight. A gentleman with the utmost dignity, even if there are a hundred and one things that led to frustration during his time in charge.

Hopefully now we get the right man in.

Giovanni Trapattoni leaves Ireland post
    Spot on with that post- he did the best with what was available to him. Qualification for Euro 2012 was the highpoint- unfortunately our luck ran out when we were paired in a group with the eventual finalists.Our limitations were badly exposed on the big stage. Maybe we lost the run of ourselves and expectations went overboard.
    As the saying goes "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"
    "Garlic bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it."
    Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onefootednopace View Post
    As the saying goes "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"
    But you can put a cat in the bag.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    We have good player. The Keane. The Duff.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Would agree with a lot of the above.

It's worth remembering the dignity with which he faced down those 'FAI sources' this time last year when his job was under threat. Even journos who dislike his methods, acknowledge he tends to act with a bit more nobility than his FAI bosses. Even when falling-out with players.

Overall I think his tenure was a success, albeit tempered with a very sour final chapter. It was one campaign too many but he's not the first, or last manager, to fall for that.

And, mostly, I'll always be fond of Trap era because it was blazingly entertaining. Baffling press conferences. Inexplicable team and squad selections. Fantastically quizzical quotes in mangled English. All wrapped up in a pure football being, whether that people liked the being or not.

Love him, hate him - it certainly ain't been boring.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Last night dealt a heavy blow to what remaining sympathy I had for Trap. His public comments along with his attempts to justify and cling on left me growing more depressed with the situation whilst his stubborn and wholehearted faith in the same old exposed tactics (or should that be "tactic"?) left me utterly frustrated and hopeless. It had all begun to feel a bit numb, although I was fuming by the time the final whistle went last night.

Nevertheless, the man does deserve respect and remembering with admiration both our qualification for the Euros and how close he brought us to the World Cup in 2010 is only just when judging his tenure. I certainly don't think he's deserving of tirades of abuse and whatnot. A great manager in his time who seemed to genuinely believe that what he was doing was what was best for us given his interpretation of our circumstances. Football has moved on, however; now, hopefully, we can too.

I'm in work at the minute and the computers are horribly slow and unstable so I've not been able to follow the reaction so far this morning in any great detail. I'm assuming, as his departure was by mutual consent, this is a resignation as opposed to a sacking and that he will not be the beneficiary of the hefty pay-off many had feared? If this is indeed the case, it at least demonstrates honour and integrity.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Best of luck to him in the future.

Decent performance to get to a playoff, bettered that with a Euro finals, but then the wheels came off. His downfall has probably been a (stubborn?) refusal to try anything different from plan A.

For the next few years, I think we'll find that our problems run deeper than just the manager of the senior team.
    Last edited by osarusan; 11/09/2013 at 12:11 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Under a different manager, things really could have gone pear-shaped after Staunton's departure. Trapattoni inherited a mess, and quickly restored team spirit, purpose, organisation and discipline to the side. Our away record and ability to grind out victories against the smaller nations was very commendable, especially considering the travails of other mid-ranked European sides, and it brought us to two playoffs and one qualification - a record which bettered the efforts of many traditionally strong teams in the same campaigns, like Serbia, Belgium, Switzerland and Romania.

However, there was a certain complacency at the heart of the Trapattoni era which was eventually our undoing. It was assumed that the defence was solid and organised when it was actually quite vulnerable, particularly at set-pieces, and that didn't change. Central midfield was screaming out for a change from the very early days - a competent alternative to Steven Reid was never found, nor even sought, after his injury. Even in our successful campaign, we struggled on carrying these flaws, limping home against Macedonia and Armenia, picking up the points that Slovakia threw away, and taking advantage of the weakest draw in the history of UEFA-zone playoffs. As the likes of Duff and Given retired, and Dunne, Doyle and Keane became less influential, we started to see some really odd selections in the squad, and increasingly, the starting line-up. These situations could have been dealt with better. By 2012, Trap had taken the team as far as he could, but then, hindsight is a fine thing.

Despite how it all ended, Trap remains a charismatic, dignified and genial football man, and he will always have my goodwill.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    As always public sentiment is driven by what sells advertising space for the media. Perspective went out the window early on when INM went after their (then) minority shareholders stake in the Trap project. It's a pity as the first 2 campaigns were successful, despite what some would try to convince us now, and this campaign was a disappointment. What is most depressing now is the inability for talking heads to talk sense and accept they do not speak for the "country" and only for their own job.

Last night (I watched this morning) there was a very annoying little move by TOD to drum up a row or controversy when the ex-manager tried to say that he was mindful not to lose and to get 3rd. If you listen to it the interviewer then attempts to get him into saying 3rd was enough. It was this kind of ambush that marked the last couple of years.

Good luck to the man, he did well and at least made Ireland competitive again.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Thanks Trap for Paris and Tallinn

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I like the man and respect what he has achieved in football. He did a very good joon the whole up until 2011. I don't want to criticise him on this thread, but all I can say is thanks for the memories and thanks for the entertaining interviews and (hopefully) getting us up to 2nd seeds for Euro 2016.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I can't help but feel this job was a bit of a Nixer for him.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    I like the man and respect what he has achieved in football. He did a very good joon the whole up until 2011. I don't want to criticise him on this thread, but all I can say is thanks for the memories and thanks for the entertaining interviews and (hopefully) getting us up to 2nd seeds for Euro 2016.
    We'll genuinely be lucky if we hold on to our place in the third pot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    if you had said after the 1-1 draw at home to Cyprus that we would be at a World Cup play off in two years, and qualify for a tournament two years later, you'd have been laughed off the forum. Yet, that's where Trapattoni brought us.
    I'm genuinely sorry to see him go, and I fear for the future of the game here with GAA in the ascendancy again, and rugby still drawing massive viewing numbers, but I have to admit it was one qualification tournament too many.

I think in time, his majority of his tenure will be remembered well.

Thanks for the memories Trapattoni, Paris, Poznan, etc,
    I echo those sentiments.

For me Trap was a genuinely nice person, very professional, he put in 100% and expected the same from his players and staff.
    An honour to have had him as manager of Ireland.

In Mr Trapattoni we trusted, thanks for the memories.
    Last edited by the doc; 11/09/2013 at 5:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I understand Trap has agreed to waive some of the compensation owed to him.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast