1,524 Posts
    Have you seen the Cabinteely proposal?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    No ? You mean this "Dear Members
    I am writing because you may have read in the newspapers about our application for League of Ireland Division 1 status and I wanted to give you a brief update.
    We had hoped to have kept this confidential and have had an announcement in due course if the license is issued. The press have got wind of our application and discussions with the FAI and hence this communication.
    We have agreed in principle with Blackrock RFC that the matches can be played in Stradbrook during the season March to October. Training facilities will also be provided.
    We will in due course issue a detailed briefing if the approval comes through and we agree all the relevant matters.
    Regards
    Mark Smith
    Chairman"

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I was just wondering what people's judgements of the club were based on. Maybe they won't be sustainable and will fold in the first three weeks. But just posting the examples of Mervue and Salthill isn't particularly useful. And in any case neither of those clubs caused any major issues while in the league and Mervue were pretty decent. Jumping into senior is difficult and the odds are against them but it seems a bit early to be sticking the boot into them and the FAI for having them (especially when they have no license yet).
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

4. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Only mention of Mervue and Salthill came about as a result of somebody saying Cabinteely should easily attract 500 to games.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Fair point- but I have seen them raised elsewhere also.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Fixtures are out tomorrow at 2pm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,349 Posts
    Home to Cabinteely first game of the season. Massive away following from our new Dublin friends...
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Home to Cabinteely first game of the season. Massive away following from our new Dublin friends...
    Probably not a bad day to get them, actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    Cabinteely have in excess of 900 kids on their books, if they can get 20% of those and their Da's to go to home matches they'll be doing fairly ok
    It would be great if they did come.
    If the team start struggling any crowds will soon drop off & that could kill the club.
    I wish them luck & hope it succeeds for them.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    If they do it right, they can be a decent club in a number of years (at LOI level). With such a large number of under age teams they should be bringing in 500 a game and their under 15's now will be ready in 4-5 years etc. Maybe it's a good new sign for the LOI.
    not a chance they will get 500 or anywhere near that (with exception of first match novelty factor maybe). Blackrock RFC who they will be sharing with have a long tradition in the area, have a huge schoolboy / girl section as well as about 6 senior teams yet their biggest match of the season so far last weekend didn't get more than 500 I hear. Spectator facilities in Stradbrook are very poor with no shelter at all. Pitch is totally unsuited to football also. I really hope I am wrong but Id say this could be a financial disaster for them.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,349 Posts
    There's a bar in the ground though....everyone will want to play there every week.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

16. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    "Is that all you bring away?"

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Apparently they've been going round to LSL clubs looking for players and they are being rejected quickly. Can see them getting battered 6 or 7-0 every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Only mention of Mervue and Salthill came about as a result of somebody saying Cabinteely should easily attract 500 to games.
    and I feel its not a good comparison as the Mervue/Salthill/GUST/Galway United/Galway FC mess was devisive in a 'city' of what about 65,000. Every other concern like sustainability, suitability of local rugby facilities are fair enough. The dont seem to be joining with the grumbles that the Galway clubs did and for the sake of the 1st division and maybe even league I hope they do make a positive contribution.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Who Charlie? Nobody mentioned "easily" attracting 500 to games.

I love the - supposedly's doing the rounds. It seems that it's better for LOI fans to b!tch about the incompetence of the FAI in not getting enough teams, or the LOI not being attractive or open to clubs, or being a closed league etc, and then when a team/club want to join, the chorus boos them off the stage.

There have been points put forward many times about the so called elitism, or reverse snobbery of LOI fans, painting themselves as special and victims, as being above all others in their search for ever more exotic ways to show how "real" they are. It's quite sad.

Instead of rubbishing or naysaying or looking for ways to pick apart the efforts of footballing people, it'd be far better to just give it a go and appreciate it.

I'm not tarring all with the same brush, but some of the negativity is rotten.

Again I will say (Charlie take note :-) ) , if they do things right, and develop their players through, and market it properly and build their connections with the community, they are capable of bringing in 500 people per week. And their u-15's this season will come through in 4-5 years, it will keep things rolling.

Welcome Cabinteely, and good luck!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Who Charlie? Nobody mentioned "easily" attracting 500 to games.

I love the - supposedly's doing the rounds. It seems that it's better for LOI fans to b!tch about the incompetence of the FAI in not getting enough teams, or the LOI not being attractive or open to clubs, or being a closed league etc, and then when a team/club want to join, the chorus boos them off the stage.

There have been points put forward many times about the so called elitism, or reverse snobbery of LOI fans, painting themselves as special and victims, as being above all others in their search for ever more exotic ways to show how "real" they are. It's quite sad.

Instead of rubbishing or naysaying or looking for ways to pick apart the efforts of footballing people, it'd be far better to just give it a go and appreciate it.

I'm not tarring all with the same brush, but some of the negativity is rotten.

Again I will say (Charlie take note :-) ) , if they do things right, and develop their players through, and market it properly and build their connections with the community, they are capable of bringing in 500 people per week. And their u-15's this season will come through in 4-5 years, it will keep things rolling.

Welcome Cabinteely, and good luck!
    I don't think anybody's booed Cabinteely - in fact, I think the response has been overwhelmingly completely positive towards them.

Easily was probably an exaggeration on my part but you said they "should" be bringing in 500, even if if you're saying it would take a few years, without any real argument for why beyond them having a good underage set-up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    If Shamrock had done things properly they could have sent many players there, without cost, or very small..

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I was booing Cabinteely (not really).

Their u15s could discover drink or women or both. Or they could be crap. You can't rely on them coming through. Anyway there's an interview with Eddie Gormley in The Mirror who suggests there's wealthy businessmen there if needed.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    there's wealthy businessmen there if needed.
    This in some wierd way is probably the most concerning thing said of all going on past experience!

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast