Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Fines/Bans for Flares/Smoke Bombs

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts

Fines/Bans for Flares/Smoke Bombs

The club received a "significant fine" as a result of fans using flares and smoke bombs at major matches. I hear a few bannings are planned.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/superblues-fined

I'd count myself as one of those who dislike flares and the like, on many levels, though I wonder about the FAI/LOI's record at tackling them evenly across the board. As for bannings, I'd have thought "offenders" could just be be put on a final warning footing.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    The club received a "significant fine" as a result of fans using flares and smoke bombs at major matches. I hear a few bannings are planned.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/superblues-fined

I'd count myself as one of those who dislike flares and the like, on many levels, though I wonder about the FAI/LOI's record at tackling them evenly across the board. As for bannings, I'd have thought "offenders" could just be be put on a final warning footing.
    People were warned, its happened at 3 matches.

I enjoy em but club has to act on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Well, if warning had been given to these individuals, then thats fair enough.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Pats, Rovers and Shels away. That's three matches in a row to pick fines up for. Flares can look good in games at certain times but at this level clubs can't afford fines. Add to that the fact two lads were nearly hit in the face with them against Shels the lads lighting them should be banned. Some of the lads are singing and cheering the team which is excellent to see but why they can't just take a warning when given one is beyond me. It's not supporting the team going against the clubs wishes. Hopefully it's the end of it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Fine is in the 1000s. Apparently the money is coming out of the transfer kitty. Bans on the way for those tools as well. Good riddance to them i say. John O Sullivan has asked on several occasions for those guys to stop. It seems there is a "Cold" flare available that is quite safe and do not breach FAI rules and he offered to get them but his offer was ignored.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    What's the story with the amount of the fines lads?I heard its a case that its up to the FAI's discretion but they generally increase them each time it happens.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    Fine is in the 1000s. Apparently the money is coming out of the transfer kitty. Bans on the way for those tools as well. Good riddance to them i say. John O Sullivan has asked on several occasions for those guys to stop. It seems there is a "Cold" flare available that is quite safe and do not breach FAI rules and he offered to get them but his offer was ignored.

Heard different.

He asked once before Shels game by putting it on the club website after the game away to Shamrock Rovers.

Last bit is complete bull i travel with these lads and i stand with them at games there has not once been a mention of a flare that would be allowed by the FAI and there was most definitely not an offer to get them for us.

Why does it always happen that when something like this happens someone has to come along and add their own bits to the story and change other bits of it. Yes flares should not have been set off after we were warned the first time ( i never set off a flare but since i stand with the lads ill say we) and yes they should never be set off if they are costing the club money but either you or whoever you were talking to has completely made up that last bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Isn't it possible that O'Sullivan spoke to these people when you weren't present? It's a rather odd thing for him to make up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Sorry BWA but i was with John O'Sullivan and several others at the Dundalk game and that is what he told us. Its not2nd hand account or rumor i was there when he said it. If he's lying so be it but i'm only going on what he told us.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I knew everything about the flares from when they were bought to where they were bought and when they planned on using them. He never talked to anyone about flares until outside Thomond the game after the Shamrock Rovers game when he told people they were going to be banned no mention of these flares then.

I brought this up to the lads at the game tonight and not one of them had an idea what i was talking about. So unless he talked to someone that he thought was part of our group that isnt or unless anemone has been told about it and has decided to keep it secret for some reason we have been told nothing about these flares that are allowed.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    should not matter what o sullivan said or did not say,flares mean fines and i dont see the supporters involved offering to pay,ban them fools.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Yes flares should not have been set off after we were warned the first time ( i never set off a flare but since i stand with the lads ill say we) and yes they should never be set off if they are costing the club money
    Are those lads going to stop setting them off? Its not like nobody knew that flares would result in fines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I always taught it was the responsibility of the host club to arrange security etc, think I can remember some club getting fined because the away fans let off flares or something, still if our lads have been warned they should have known better, hopefully they'll be back anyway and next time use these cold flares from now on as it can add to the atmosphere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Are those lads going to stop setting them off? Its not like nobody knew that flares would result in fines.

As far as i know yes they are going to stop.

And when they were set off first people didnt think the club would get fined as we had been told at the start of the season that if it happened at an away ground it was not Limericks responsibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Ya it seemed strange alright Limerick are held responsible, can the club appeal especially if they were told byfai fai the host club were responsible for sort me thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueblood View Post
    Ya it seemed strange alright Limerick are held responsible, can the club appeal especially if they were told byfai fai the host club were responsible for sort me thing
    When away fans "cause trouble", both clubs get fined: the visiting club is responsible for the bahaviour of its own fans, the host club is responsible for all security/stewarding issues within and around their own ground.

I'd say club officials are well aware of this, as there was an incident in the RSC a few years ago when a smoke bomb was let off in the away section. I'm pretty sure Limerick got a fine then. The rules are the same in the Premier Division as they are in the First.
    My recollection of the protocol from the FAI (and they may have revised this in the meantime) is that a club might get away with a warning for the first offence (at their discretion, depending on seriousness of the offence), but repeated offences would see increasing levels of fines for each subsequent offence.

So, more than likely Shels were fined for not searching fans properly on their way in, and for then failing to prevent the flares and smoke bombs from being let off once they were smuggled inside.
    Limerick would have been fined for their fans letting off flares and smoke bombs.

Have the lads done a whip-around to offset the cost of the fine? This was done before when the club was fined for flares and smoke bombs being let off.
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redron View Post

Have the lads done a whip-around to offset the cost of the fine? This was done before when the club was fined for flares and smoke bombs being let off.

I dont remember that happening last time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    You got the wrong end of the stick there. There was no offer to get 'cold' flares for limerick fans. There had been previously for Cork City fans after discussion with the FAI a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    He asked once before Shels game by putting it on the club website after the game away to Shamrock Rovers.
    It was on the website.
    It's been repeatedly mentioned in match programmes.
    Members of that group were spoken to before the Sligo Rovers cup match and were told clearly there would be bans.
    Members of that group were spoken to before the Bohs away game (where no flares were used).
    People close to that group (I.e. same bus) were spoken to before and after Shelbourne away game.
    Everyone walking into Shelbourne were told by stewards that flares weren't allowed.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    oh jesus is that you old keeper!