Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Limerick Division 1A 2013/14

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Don't Panic - I don't think anyone suggested that the committee members are only looking after their own patches and don't get credit. It clearly says that there are very hard working people involved with the clubs. In reality, you would expect current committees to only look after their own little patch. My point is that various people on either side will not want amalgamation because it will affect them in some way, it will upset their patch, it will mean they lose some control, or maybe get extra control, but ultimately people don't want the hassle of change, whether it is or is not the right thing to do.
    The current set-up is broken, amalgamation is the only way to fix it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Football-Unites View Post
    Don't Panic - I don't think anyone suggested that the committee members are only looking after their own patches and don't get credit. It clearly says that there are very hard working people involved with the clubs. In reality, you would expect current committees to only look after their own little patch. My point is that various people on either side will not want amalgamation because it will affect them in some way, it will upset their patch, it will mean they lose some control, or maybe get extra control, but ultimately people don't want the hassle of change, whether it is or is not the right thing to do.
    The current set-up is broken, amalgamation is the only way to fix it.
    I think the only way this would happen if somebody (knowledgeable) about football, would sit at the top, this person could have no main allegiance to any club, with the committee made up of existing member from each club. Then the dream can start becoming a reality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lads, Any interest in moving this to a different Thread ? There doesn't seem to be much interest in this at the moment. Over the past while various people have commented on it, but there doesn't seem to be any traction, or progress at all.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Lads, Any interest in moving this to a different Thread ? There doesn't seem to be much interest in this at the moment. Over the past while various people have commented on it, but there doesn't seem to be any traction, or progress at all.
    Yeah do, might speed it up

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Do you actually think that the committes of either club takes notice of 3 r 4 anonymous people = Delusion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I will do Shuffleruns and it will all be sorted in no time

Don't Panic - Love your positivity about the whole thing, you must be in favour of it. I'm not for one second suggesting that the people on this forum can or would incite change at committee levels of the clubs, but as I did say, there have been probably 9 or 10 people (maybe more) that have voiced opinions about it on this forum, so I just thought it may be worthwhile giving this it's own thread. Wasn't Gerry Kelly on here saying he was very much in favour of amalgamation, I'd say he might have some connections at committee level in one of the clubs - but that's just a guess Would love to know your thoughts about what should be done, and how it could be done - what would be the first step etc etc

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't be in favour of it. I think its great to have local rivalry and still lament the demise of Newtown. Spoke wit a very prominent member of town a while back and although he himself is in favour of it, he admitted that as long as the name is on the agenda it would never happen. I can't help but admire the fact that town are holding on to their history and not throwing 45 years away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How is amalgamation throwing away 45 years of history ? Just because 2 clubs amalgamate, it doesn't mean they lose their history - doesn't even come close to it. History cannot be change, or be thrown away, it will always be there. A silly statement and typical of the people that don't want progress.
    There's nothing better than local rivalry, just a pity it's at a really crap level, with both clubs having positive things going for them, but neither having anything close to the full package.

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

It didn't work the first time and if it is done the same way it wont work again.

I agree something needs to be done and ya maybe an amalgamation is the way forward but it has to be done right rather than pick a name, pick a colour, pick a pitch, pick a manager sorted!!!

This comes up every year at this time after clubs have had mediocre or bad seasons...its knee jerk and it will take more than the summer months to iron out what needs to be done.

I have said it before Shannon is plenty big enough to have two clubs, there is no motivation from "kids" to keep playing football...hit 17/18 find beer/women/(insert other vice here) and lose interest. That needs to addressed, Football should be an outlet not a chore.
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev Yashin View Post
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

It didn't work the first time and if it is done the same way it wont work again.

I agree something needs to be done and ya maybe an amalgamation is the way forward but it has to be done right rather than pick a name, pick a colour, pick a pitch, pick a manager sorted!!!

This comes up every year at this time after clubs have had mediocre or bad seasons...its knee jerk and it will take more than the summer months to iron out what needs to be done.

I have said it before Shannon is plenty big enough to have two clubs, there is no motivation from "kids" to keep playing football...hit 17/18 find beer/women/(insert other vice here) and lose interest. That needs to addressed, Football should be an outlet not a chore.
    lev
    Shannon Olympic wont be impressed to be forgotten about being a Shannon club

if you take into account b teams you had 6 teams in Shannon up until hibs scrapped b team and rineanna rovers probally have 10-11 Shannon lads in their current squad personally I think it is to many junior teams and what is a bigger worry is none of the Shannon teams have a youth team at the moment

" football is a simple game "

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Shannon town have a 17s team isn't that the equivalent of youths now.. saying that they seem to be struggling too

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Second View Post
    Shannon town have a 17s team isn't that the equivalent of youths now.. saying that they seem to be struggling too
    Lost there better players to Newmarket I believe mid season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneNightOnly View Post
    Lost there better players to Newmarket I believe mid season
    If there was one decent club in shannon players wouldnt leave so easily..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't think the reason psople are talking about this is because either team has had mediocre (to put it mildly) seasons, maybe it is, but that's not why I think it's the right thing to do. As I said, both clubs have plenty of positive things going for them, but both clubs are miles off having anything near the full package. In this day and age, it's hard for each club do do everything, have great facilities, clubhouse, training areas etc etc, but combined Town and Hibs would have a foundation that together could be forged into something significant.

No way is it as simple as pick manager, pick colours, pick name - of course it's way more complicated than that, but most of those are relatively small things in the greater scheme of things.

Even something as simple as having the best coaches train the underage teams, that alone is a good benefit, but there are so many more positives.

15. Thanks From:

FORMERLY: shannonman Lev Yashin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Foot.ie!

I don't think the reason psople are talking about this is because either team has had mediocre (to put it mildly) seasons, maybe it is, but that's not why I think it's the right thing to do. As I said, both clubs have plenty of positive things going for them, but both clubs are miles off having anything near the full package. In this day and age, it's hard for each club do do everything, have great facilities, clubhouse, training areas etc etc, but combined Town and Hibs would have a foundation that together could be forged into something significant.

No way is it as simple as pick manager, pick colours, pick name - of course it's way more complicated than that, but most of those are relatively small things in the greater scheme of things.

Even something as simple as having the best coaches train the underage teams, that alone is a good benefit, but there are so many more positives.
    Sorry I probably didn't come across right. I meant that there is much more to an amalgamation that what I mentioned.

In theory it would probably be a good thing for football in the town but in theory a lot of things work...Communism and democracy for instance

The joining of Park and Newtown should have worked, you had the basis of two good clubs there but the fact that people are now calling for another amalgamation means something did go wrong. Which is the reason I would be a bit sceptical of doing it again.
    I'm not dead against it I just think it needs to be done right with people who have the good of football in Shannon as their best interest.
    My Goal Is To Deny Yours...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Have thought about this topic a lot over last week and am now of the opinion that the 2 clubs should sit down and try and find some common ground. My only concern is that after the last amalgamation a lot of good people lost to local soccer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don't panic View Post
    Have thought about this topic a lot over last week and am now of the opinion that the 2 clubs should sit down and try and find some common ground. My only concern is that after the last amalgamation a lot of good people lost to local soccer
    Don't panic the line of a lot of good people lost to local soccer is wearing thin now... some of these people were behind amalgamation and walked away from it when it started or more recently
    As i have said before why did these people walk ? and nothing to stop them getting involved with other shannon teams ? bit over the top to blame amalgamation for driving people out of junior soccer

check your local history on how the shannon clubs were formed ? Park people broke away from shannon town / newtown also broke away from town and Olympic broke away from Newtown why did these people not walk away fromlocal soccer at the time ?

" football is a simple game "

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any amalgamation in Shannon would need to include all three clubs not just Town and Hibs. The reason the first amalgamation hasn't been great is because it only reduced the number of clubs in the Town from 4 to 3 and then as someone else pointed out you have a lot of Shannon Football people involved in Rineanna. Football has been on the slide on this Town for a lot of years now and one amalgamation between 2 of the 4 clubs wasn't goint to sort it.
    Football has to compete with GAA and Rugby and then it has to compete with another two clubs in the Town at least the other sports dont have to compete within their own codes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    If 3 clubs amalgamate.would they intend to have A, B, C teams?? If not where would all the rest of the players go.Could be a lot of lads out there playing no football at all then which imo would be a total disaster.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faceoff View Post
    If 3 clubs amalgamate.would they intend to have A, B, C teams?? If not where would all the rest of the players go.Could be a lot of lads out there playing no football at all then which imo would be a total disaster.
    Yeah you'd have to have a b c even d team if the numbers were there

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast