Thread: Derry City (A) 03-05-13

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Derry City (A) 03-05-13

Expectations?
    Axel is back, so we should be a threat going forward again.

I'm hoping for a display similar to against Sligo, to push them close. I'm hoping against a similar display to the Shels game, because we'll just get picked off. Good luck to everyone travelling up to it.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Tough assignment, to get anything from Derry right now. A score draw is the limit of my expectations.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Just saw that Curran is out due to suspension. A massive loss for us. The fact that Derry will come out and play will give us a chance but they will take any chances they get so we need to do similar.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    While I wasn't at the game and am waiting for reports, I think it's pertinent to point out that after one round of games, Limerick have scored 16 goals, one of which (O'Leary against Bohs) came in the last 20 minutes. They've conceded 12, six of which (O'Brien for Drogs, Henderson for Sligo, Massey and Mulvenna for Dundalk, Griffin and Patterson for Derry) came in the last 20 minutes.

I'm not sure if this is a concentration or a fitness issue, but its definitely something to be worked on.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    While I wasn't at the game and am waiting for reports, I think it's pertinent to point out that after one round of games, Limerick have scored 16 goals, one of which (O'Leary against Bohs) came in the last 20 minutes. They've conceded 12, six of which (O'Brien for Drogs, Henderson for Sligo, Massey and Mulvenna for Dundalk, Griffin and Patterson for Derry) came in the last 20 minutes.

I'm not sure if this is a concentration or a fitness issue, but its definitely something to be worked on.
    Hard to tell really. Probably a combination of fitness, naivety, concentration and luck. Dundalk was the only really disappointing one, could have blamed concentration and fitness in that game for throwing away a 2 goal lead.

Seriously need a goalscorer though, take away goals scored as a result of a set piece and we'd be in big trouble.
    But, I wasn't at the game so can't really comment on tonight other than it was expected so no real harm done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Having been at all the games i dont think its anything to do with fitness O'Brien for Drogs was a penalty while we were down to 9 men. Henderson in Sligo was an individual mistake from the man marking him, both goals for Dundalk were poor marking from 2 midfielders from set pieces and lastnight the first goal was always coming Derry were all over us 2nd half surprised we lasted so long and the 2nd was a mile offside according to Derry fans Derry radio and the player that scored it.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Having been at all the games i dont think its anything to do with fitness
    Fair enough BWA, and as you say you have been to the games, whereas I haven't, but I found it an interesting point. Would you say the side is still looking as likely to score in the latter stages of games ? Despite not doing so often as pointed out.

And would you say instead it's just a confidence / experience matter, in the side realizing they belong at this level and how to close out wins against the countries biggest clubs?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Experience could be a factor to a certain extent alright crafty. While we have got players from Britian and have a few experienced players like Gamble and Calla people are forgetting that O'Leary is only 21, Curran 23, Folan 21, Galbraith 22, Gaffney 23, Nzuzi 21 and the lads on the bench Rainsford 19, Sheedy 19, Val Feeney 18, Shane Costello 17. These are all young players still learning the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Fair enough BWA, and as you say you have been to the games, whereas I haven't, but I found it an interesting point. Would you say the side is still looking as likely to score in the latter stages of games ? Despite not doing so often as pointed out.

And would you say instead it's just a confidence / experience matter, in the side realizing they belong at this level and how to close out wins against the countries biggest clubs?

On the scoring bit i think we have created the chances to score late on just not taken them for example the penalty shout against Sligo was in the very last seconds and came after we had them under some pressure. Against Dundalk we had 2 good chances and another good penalty shout after Dundalk had scored there 2. Even against Derry we pushed on after they got the 2nd and had 2 or 3 half chances before the end of the game.

Defending wise i think it seems like a lack of concentration more then anything both goals against Dundalk and the Sligo goal came from people completely losing the man they were marking late on and that needs to be looked at and sorted its happened more times too and we have gotten away with it. 2 of those goals it was Steve McGann and Dave O'Leary that lost their men so it could be to do with experience. I think the fact that we have not had a settled centre back partnership is something to do with it too whereas you can almost tell who is going to play most other positions there has been rotating between Brown and Calla at centre back and it must be hard for Folan to try and forge a partnership with them because of it. I think then that the lack of understanding can lead to problems when teams really make a push against us late on and things start to get stretched.

There is definitely something there defensively but i would think its more concentration/confidence wise then fitness.

11. Thanks From: