18 Posts

Greatest Limerick Player You can remember

Many come to mind....Based upon a shortlist of five:

Kevin Fitzpatrick
    Ray O'Halloran
    Johnny Walsh
    Tony Meaney
    Al Finnucane.

And the winner is................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

Johnny Walsh......'Jabber' was pure class. There was a saying going round the pubs after every big performance he put in :" Jaysus, he'd be 'cross de water if he were to put on a stone'........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

good choice

yea id go for Johnny as well as he stayed with the club when they made the move to Rathbane and all the others good as they were werent like last years team, as in the 1980's famous team went on strike for better pay, last years played on when they were getting none. I belive Johnny would have done the latter too. Does the floors now me thinks. Ray O'Halloran would have been a great player if he stoped deluding himself and played in his true position of central midfield and not as "abouy Razor, saved us again" sweeper! He also left us twice when we got religated and didnt stick with Noel when he became manager. But a good player overall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I personally think there could only be one from these 2 and thats Stephane Jauny or Mick Aherne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353
    yea id go for Johnny as well as he stayed with the club when they made the move to Rathbane and all the others good as they were werent like last years team, as in the 1980's famous team went on strike for better pay, last years played on when they were getting none. I belive Johnny would have done the latter too. Does the floors now me thinks. Ray O'Halloran would have been a great player if he stoped deluding himself and played in his true position of central midfield and not as "abouy Razor, saved us again" sweeper! He also left us twice when we got religated and didnt stick with Noel when he became manager. But a good player overall
    Ray was a geat footballer, brilliant sweeper, could be lethal with a deadball ...and a bloody handy 'keeper too as I recall.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tony Ward!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think there is an interesting fact about Johnny Walsh in that I think he is the only player to win every league trophy available with just one club. League Championship, FAI Cup, League Cup and First Division title. Am I right?

Gael, are you kidding me? Ray O'Halloran was a class sweeper. Maybe my favourite player. When I was a young fella I thought Gary Hulmes was brilliant. If I'm honest I don't really remember the Al Finucane, Eoin Hand era - I was too young to really judge good players and can't really remember well enough to distinguish between them. I think the Limerick City team under Billy Hamilton etc had some good players - Hanrahan, Coyle, Barry Ryan in his prime, John Power. Of the recent crop O'Flynn, Finucane, Purcell should be up there. I think though Razor has to get it.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    Ray was a geat footballer, brilliant sweeper, could be lethal with a deadball ...and a bloody handy 'keeper too as I recall.
    I think he played one of his underage international caps in goal. Great pity he'd to retire early
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Kevin Fitzpatrick for me. Great keeper for 22 years - never left us down.

Al Finucane would be up there although possibly had his best years in Waterford or before my time late 60's.

Johnny Walsh would also be close. Tommy Gaynor as well or Pat Nolan. Joe O'Mahony also.

Before my time but Andy McEvoy RIP probably was our greatest ever player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    Before my time but Andy McEvoy RIP probably was our greatest ever player.
    Apparetly so. According to my Da anyway, and he knows his stuff.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    Al Finucane would be up there although possibly had his best years in Waterford or before my time late 60's.
    Al Finnucane: Some player...maybe I'll change my mind...

Soccer star Al set all types of records Lim Leader 2001

LIMERICK'S greatest soccer player, Al Finucane, looks as fit to-day as he did 30 years ago which was an unique year for him.

In 1971 Al captained Limerick to win the FAI cup for the first time, that same year he captained the Republic Of Ireland in an away international against Austria and in that year, too, he skippered the League Of Ireland against the English League.

We in Limerick have, for some reason, a tendency not to appreciate the achievements of our own folk whether it be in sport, business or politics.

But nobody in the country can compare with Al Finucane when it comes to soccer.

Having made his debut for Limerick in a 3-3 draw against Shamrock Rovers at Milltown in 1961, when only 17, Al went on to play in the League Of Ireland for 28 years. He made his debut as an inside forward after a man for whom he has the greastest respect, Ewan Fenton, saw him in that role for Limerick B in a Lawson cup game. In that season he scored in every round of the Lawson Cup including the final which Limerick won.

He remained an inside forward until Willie Clinton received an injury and when Des McNamara was switched from half back to fullback and he became a halfback.

The rest, as the saying goes, is history.

Al smashed all types of records as a player and, as important, as a sportsman.

He played more than 1,000 games in the League Of Ireland with Limerick, Waterford and Newcastle West.

That is a record and, so too, is the fact that he played in the League Of Ireland for 28 years.

And, perhaps, his greatest achievement.....in more than 1,000 matches he was never sent off and had his name taken on only THREE occasions.

During his great career Al played eleven times for the Republic Of Ireland, having made his debut against Turkey in Ankarra in February 1967.

The highlight of his career was when he captained the Republic in Austria in 1971.

Other highlights of his career included:

1967- Personality Of The Year award winner.
    1971-Captained Limerick to win the FAI cup
    1980-Captained Waterford to win the FAI cup
    1982-Won a third FAI cup medal, this time with Limerick.
    Al also won a league cup medal with Waterford and a Shield and Dublin City Cup medal with Limerick.

Having started his career with Limerick in 1961 he transferred to Waterford in 1973 and it was while with them that he teamed up with the best player he ever played alongside, Bobby Charlton.

The best team he ever faced was Argentina who were recent world cup winners at the time. "They were a fantastic team and it was a great experience to play against the greatest side in world football,"he said.

No player in world soccer can boast of playing in European football in 1965 and again 21 years later.

Al played in the cup winners cup for Limerick against CSKA in '65 and 21 years later he played for Waterford in the Cup winners cup against Bordeaux.

On that occasion he became the oldest player ever to play in European football when aged 43. The man who was previously the oldest was Dino Zoff who played until he was aged 42 and was, of course, a goalkeeper.
    Last edited by joeSoap; 30/09/2004 at 1:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

super blues

Not to forget that brilliant center foward Des Kennedy and the magnifisent Brenden Storan who scored the winner and made that breathtaking goal line clearance in the 1982 fai cup final...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best Limerick Player I can Remember

I know you don't expect an outside view, but we were tonked 7-0 at home by you lot in our first season as you romped away to the League title.
    I have seen many Limerick teams down through the years. I remember you winning the League Cup in 1993 I think in Harolds X Stadium against St. Pat's
    I remember the 1982 Cup Final win, and I wanted to go to your European Cup tie with Real Madrid but I couldn't get off work.
    There are some great players on the list but also some glaring omissions.
    What about Des Kennedy?

Anyway give that the list is the rules and Johnny Walsh's accomplishments I will suggest one of two. From the short list and from what I saw and from the point of view of longevity, it would be for me as an outsider a toss up between Kevin Fitzpatrick and Al Finucane.

I would plump for Finucane in that I saw him with Waterford, with ye and also with Newcastlewest, in fact I was there the day he hung up his boots in Ballygowan Park . He was still playing superbly at 46. And he's also a gentleman making time for an opposition supporter, as I spoke with him on a number of occasions down through the years. So another vote for Al....

having said all that all of the suggestions are worthy so maybe it is time for an All Time XI
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 02/10/2004 at 2:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Im a younger Lims fan and the best players i can remember are Eddie Hickey, Albert Finnan, Ray O'Halloran and Stephen O'flynn just wonderin if any of them would get near an all time eleven????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    ..............................Kevin Fitzpatrick...................................

Al Finnucane..Ray O'Halloran...Joe O'Mahoney...Johnny Mullane...

Christy Coll........Eoin Hand... Tony Meaney.....Johnny Walsh......

.....................Andy McEvoy....Des Kennedy...........................

That team would kick ass with any side of today....Shelbourne my arse!! .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Would not know a great deal about Limerick soccer but a few players that played for both Limerick and Cork in recent seasons.

Declan Daly - Legend in his prime down here
    Declan Hyde- Would prob not fit into the all time greats catagory
    Tommy Gaynor - Stats should state that he should be one of the greats but performances in a cork jersey sujest otherwise
    Brendan Sweeney- Still only potentiall
    Stephen O'Flynn - Good player, hardly all time legend.
    First Division Champions

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Dont know about the best, been watching Limerick since around 1989, Joe Hanrahan, Johnny Walsh, Ray O Halloran and Declan Hyde are names that I remember from then. Not too many to choose from since, although I had a soft spot for Peter Mumby later on. So how about the worst player that you can remember? Gerry Cheung? Donato Borza? Matthew Carr, who as far as I remember was the only player ever to be released by Limerick? In more recent times, that guy with the red face, cant remember his name.........left back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

my best and worst

Best: 4-4-2
    Brian McKenna
    John Smith
    Albert Finnan
    Dave Minahan
    Ally Dawson
    Johnny Walsh
    Marcus Tuite
    Ray O'Halloran
    Daithi McMahon
    Steve O'Flynn
    Tony Izzi

Worst:
    John Toomey
    Julian Lyons
    Duckie Lyons
    Matt Carr
    Gerry Chung
    Gareth Ryan
    Kevin Flanagan
    Paddy Doyle
    the rest empty till the end of the season....cos on this years panel there are plenty!
    Last edited by gael353; 06/10/2004 at 2:56 PM. Reason: just do it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Forgot about Tony Izzi absolute legend of a little man moved on to Queenstown did'nt he......I think the dub who partnered Howie was Paddy Doyle I'll never forget the cheer that rose from the stand behind the goals when he was subbed on one particularly uninspired night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Where's Bubbles lads? and Fran Hickey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Howie King still playing for Mount Merrion in the 4division of LSL intermediate division.

As a schoolboy saw Andy McAvoy scoring 2 goals against the English League. Unfortunately Jimmy Greaves scored about 4 for them and we lost 8-2.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast