Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roddy Collins running down the league on NewsTalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Thumbs down Roddy Collins running down the league on NewsTalk

Roddy Collins running down the league on NewsTalk ..... brutal stuff, completely undermining what work is being done in the league.

Any chance we could send him out after Sean O'Connor?
    Last edited by A face; 22/06/2012 at 10:08 AM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Roddy Collins running down the league on NewsTalk ..... brutal stuff, completely undermining what work is being done in the league.

Given his own record, involvement with Dublin City, Shams, Cork, Mons, perhaps Roddy should have a long look at himself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Given his own record, involvement with Dublin City, Shams, Cork, Mons, perhaps Roddy should have a long look at himself
    Can you leave out Cork, he never managed a game, friendly or competitive so really can we be excused from that list? Please?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

4. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    He managed Cork City against Longford in a friendly, so no!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

You can't blame him for being disillusioned with the league. He's just lost his job through no fault of his own. I know it's fun to have a go at Roddy and all but on this occasion I can see where he is coming from.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    You can't blame him for being disillusioned with the league. He's just lost his job through no fault of his own. I know it's fun to have a go at Roddy and all but on this occasion I can see where he is coming from.
    The league didnt loose him is job though. Mons did.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Most of what he said was right though.

- "We have accepted defeat by the Spanish too easily, without trying to understand why".
    Now in my opinion, there are loads of posters on here talking about national academies, changing our coaching structure, avoiding the UK system, the neglect of LOI etc. These posters understand the problems, I don't think the vast majority of the 20-30,000 who were singing the FOA in Gdansk understand the problems in Irish football because most of them are holiday-makers/****-heads/event junkies/barstoolers who were there for the craic. Which is fine, but most of them won't understand the game in Ireland. If you asked any of them why Ireland are so sh*t they would probably say, ah sure we're a small country playing against bigger nations, but we're happy to be here. Others will blame the manager but without seeing the bigger picture. These people think that the players produced in Ireland come out of thin air, and the quality of the players is a correlation to our population size.

- "The league here is a necessary evil for the Association, who don't care about it and don't look after it".
    Hard to disagree with that.

- "The entertainment value isn't there in the league, fans want to be entertained, some of them by a sing-song" (dig at the FOA singers)
    Ok, some games are not as entertaining as others, but you get substandard games in the PL too. The point about the LOI being a non-event for the event-junkies is valid though.

- "Hard to attract fans when the facilities are crap"
    No complaints here.

The next point I disagree with though:

- "The entertainment value is low because the players are those that could not make it in england and not the top players, whereas in the RDS you will see Sexton, O'Driscoll etc"
    I would disagree here. Some players are players that did not make it in england, but others are high quality players on their way to england. Look at Coleman, Mclean etc.
    Last edited by sullanefc; 22/06/2012 at 10:55 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    The league didnt loose him is job though. Mons did.
    Absolutely right. But at the same time, if the league was more popular and making more money, then maybe mons might be ok, and he might still be working. But then again, the cretins in monaghan might still have f*cked up. As GalwayRed said, I can understand his frustration.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post

- "We have accepted defeat by the Spanish too easily, without trying to understand why".
    Now in my opinion, there are loads of posters on here talking about national academies, changing our coaching structure, avoiding the UK system, the neglect of LOI etc. These posters understand the problems, I don't think the vast majority of the 20-30,000 who were singing the FOA in Gdansk understand the problems in Irish football because most of them are holiday-makers/****-heads/event junkies/barstoolers who were there for the craic. Which is fine, but most of them won't understand the game in Ireland. If you asked any of them why Ireland are so sh*t they would probably say, ah sure we're a small country playing against bigger nations, but we're happy to be here. Others will blame the manager but without seeing the bigger picture. These people think that the players produced in Ireland come out of thin air, and the quality of the players is a correlation to our population size.

- "The league here is a necessary evil for the Association, who don't care about it and don't look after it".

- "The entertainment value isn't there in the league, fans want to be entertained, some of them by a sing-song" (dig at the FOA singers)
    Ok, some games are not as entertaining as others, but you get substandard games in the PL too. The point about the LOI being a non-event for the event-junkies is valid though.

No complaints here.

- "The entertainment value is low because the players are those that could not make it in england and not the top players, whereas in the RDS you will see Sexton, O'Driscoll etc"
    I would disagree here. Some players are players that did not make it in england, but others are high quality players on their way to england. Look at Coleman, Mclean etc.
    Don't disagree with him on any point to be honest. Sadly, the league as it is is failing and has been for a long time. Might be time for revolution rather than evolution?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He's giving his honest opinion on the league. I didn't get the impression he was going out of his way to be insulting. It's clear he's disillusioned and he's only "undermining" the league in the sense that he's exposing/highlighting existing problems. If they didn't exist, there'd be nothing to talk about.

In fact, the most offensive thing in the segment for me was Roddy's description of himself as "a more in-depth thinker of the game and of the future of the game"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Sadly, no matter what he says, I find it very hard to have any sympathy for him. He alienated a lot of people over the years, and I can go back to his Carlisle days ten years ago and he was trash talking the league back then too in his attempts to lure players to Carlisle. I hate to see anybody out of work, but thats football!! As for the damage he talks about that has been done to the League over the years, then surely it would be more in line for him to hold his own hand up and admit his part in it all because he certainly has never been a poster boy for the League of Ireland himself.

Roddy Collins is a self serving, arrogant, smug man. Of that I have no doubt. His attitude towards success is that if you cant buy it, then you move somewhere you think it can be bought. I was personally amazed that he took the Monaghan job in the first place as it always seemed beneath him. He won't be moaning for long surely...didn't he say he turned down a whole host of offers to take the Monaghan job. I'm sure theres a whole host of clubs out there clambering after his signature!! If not, stick to the plastering mate... and stay away from our game if it appals you that much!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    Sadly, no matter what he says, I find it very hard to have any sympathy for him. He alienated a lot of people over the years, and I can go back to his Carlisle days ten years ago and he was trash talking the league back then too in his attempts to lure players to Carlisle. I hate to see anybody out of work, but thats football!! As for the damage he talks about that has been done to the League over the years, then surely it would be more in line for him to hold his own hand up and admit his part in it all because he certainly has never been a poster boy for the League of Ireland himself.

Roddy Collins is a self serving, arrogant, smug man. Of that I have no doubt. His attitude towards success is that if you cant buy it, then you move somewhere you think it can be bought. I was personally amazed that he took the Monaghan job in the first place as it always seemed beneath him. He won't be moaning for long surely...didn't he say he turned down a whole host of offers to take the Monaghan job. I'm sure theres a whole host of clubs out there clambering after his signature!! If not, stick to the plastering mate... and stay away from our game if it appals you that much!!
    Not disagreeing with your assessment of Roddy but what actual damage has he done to the league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Not disagreeing with your assessment of Roddy but what actual damage has he done to the league?
    None at all. He's probably helped as there's people who know Roddy who wouldn't be regular match goers. I like Roddy. I think he's a mefeiner, and I don't rate him as a manager, but I think he's a good person to have in the league.

Don't see anything above to criticise him about
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post

No complaints here.

Some of the worst excuses for entertainment I have seen have been English premier matches or European ties. Never quite "get" this excuse (heading to Richmond tonight for the game that defines non entertainment, but looking forward to it). Entertainment can as likely be seen between two good well matched junior sides as two ill matched or nervous International sides. It is widely accepted that Jack Charltons team(s) were the nadir of entertaining football yet it is seen as the "Golden Era" of Irish football and played to sell out crowds. Entertainment value is lower than it was in 50's/60's (era of bigger crowds) smply because there are numerous options now that did not exist then (T.V. football most notably)

Fully concur with him on League/FAI " relationship". A national disgrace.

Facilities are poor but again this is often an excuse. Cant imagine people go to a ground because "the toilets are great". Yes, improved facilities would help but not the panacea to LOI problems some like to think.

Argument about players also holds for managers - entertainment is low because all the best managers have gone to England/Scotland/N Ireland - although you wont hear Roddy say that.

The Leagues biggest selling point is it offers a unique Irish Football identity. No other League in the world (despite the tricolours with Everton/Spurs written on or the Celtic gombeen Irishness) can you support and (hopefully) become involved in an IRISH football club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Some of the worst excuses for entertainment I have seen have been English premier matches or European ties. Never quite "get" this excuse (heading to Richmond tonight for the game that defines non entertainment, but looking forward to it). Entertainment can as likely be seen between two good well matched junior sides as two ill matched or nervous International sides. It is widely accepted that Jack Charltons team(s) were the nadir of entertaining football yet it is seen as the "Golden Era" of Irish football and played to sell out crowds. Entertainment value is lower than it was in 50's/60's (era of bigger crowds) smply because there are numerous options now that did not exist then (T.V. football most notably) .
    I once went to a Sunderland v Wigan game in Sunderland. 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.
    In saying that, there has been far worse games in Finn park but with the emotional attachment involved you just keep going back and get hooked. I don't know if I'd ever get hooked to the EPL.

Come to think of it, 5 or 6 of us stood out in the hall at the back of the stand and watched the Liverpool-Man U game. Event Junkie right here
    Last edited by Sam_Heggy; 22/06/2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: p.s.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    None at all. He's probably helped as there's people who know Roddy who wouldn't be regular match goers. I like Roddy. I think he's a mefeiner, and I don't rate him as a manager, but I think he's a good person to have in the league.

Ya, I think people have the old 'not in my back garden' attitude with Roddy. Dont mind him in the league as long as he's not managing my team.

Suppose he will be back on the couch now so!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Some of the worst excuses for entertainment I have seen have been English premier matches or European ties. Never quite "get" this excuse (heading to Richmond tonight for the game that defines non entertainment, but looking forward to it). Entertainment can as likely be seen between two good well matched junior sides as two ill matched or nervous International sides. It is widely accepted that Jack Charltons team(s) were the nadir of entertaining football yet it is seen as the "Golden Era" of Irish football and played to sell out crowds. Entertainment value is lower than it was in 50's/60's (era of bigger crowds) smply because there are numerous options now that did not exist then (T.V. football most notably)

Fully concur with him on League/FAI " relationship". A national disgrace.

Facilities are poor but again this is often an excuse. Cant imagine people go to a ground because "the toilets are great". Yes, improved facilities would help but not the panacea to LOI problems some like to think.

Argument about players also holds for managers - entertainment is low because all the best managers have gone to England/Scotland/N Ireland - although you wont hear Roddy say that.

The Leagues biggest selling point is it offers a unique Irish Football identity. No other League in the world (despite the tricolours with Everton/Spurs written on or the Celtic gombeen Irishness) can you support and (hopefully) become involved in an IRISH football club.
    Agree with this. I'm looking forward to going to the drab affair that will be City V Derry tonight. Bring it on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    All that station does is run down the league. They should call it Barstoolers FM.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Will Roddy take another job in LOI football? Dont think he's welcome back in Malta tbh
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Will Roddy take another job in LOI football? Dont think he's welcome back in Malta tbh
    Not too welcome at most LOI clubs either Roddy has great enthusism and self opinion second to none (by a long, long way) and in time his enthusism will convince someone to give him another job in LOI.

Never been relegated you know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast