Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We are where we are - Speculate wildly about next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

We are where we are - Speculate wildly about next season

Right so what's left and what way will they fall. I've divided into three categories.

Athlone Town - New CEO, nice stand, Chinese about to take over the midlands. Pass

Bohs - Outstanding loans, not sure what story is. Haven't a clue

Bray - Skint. Was worries at start of the season Dodgy

Cork - Nice ground. Big crowds. Steady as she goes Pass

Derry - Continue to do well out of affirmative action, decent crowds, northern. Pass

Dundalk - Look fairly shagged. Dodgy

Drogheda -Seem to be doing well on small money. Have been through the mill before. Pass

Finn Harps - Lack of Interest, poor team, new ground on the way though. Haven't a clue.

Longford Town - Poor interest locally. But tidy ground and seem to be doing well on a budget. Pass

Limerick - Filthy, dirty, rich. Pass

Mervue United - May hang on in there to see what the craic is, don't seem to be stuck. Haven't a clue

SD Galway - Who?? Dodgy

Shelbourne - Disappointing crowds, ground they could be turfed out of at any moment falling down around their arse. Shels though, can't see them going wallop. Haven't a clue.

Shamrock Rovers - Second only to Limerick in the filthy rich stakes. Pass

Sligo - All sorts of dodgy rural type rumours. Personally I think they'll prob be fine but.... Haven't a clue

St. Pats - Would appear to be quite fine. Pass

UCD - State subsidised. Pass

Waterford United - Poor crowds, poor setup, have friends though. Haven't a clue

Wexford Youths - Poor crowds, could be affected by dodgy builder gate. Dodgy

From that motley crew, the FAI will imo most likely have to select 16 for a one division LoI. Which will be absolute poison for so many reasons.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Would like to see 10 team league of derry, sligo, cork, limerick, rovers, pats, drogs, shels, ucd and bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Right so what's left and what way will they fall. I've divided into three categories.

Waterford United - Poor crowds, poor setup, have friends though. Haven't a clue.
    Speculate wildly indeed
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Would like to see 10 team league of derry, sligo, cork, limerick, rovers, pats, drogs, shels, ucd and bohs.
    10 team league or 10 team division? It's been proven already, 10 teams is simply too little. 12 team division is too little if you ask me. We need to generate some sort of interest in the league. Not have a dull monotonous league year in, year out.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    10 team league or 10 team division? It's been proven already, 10 teams is simply too little. 12 team division is too little if you ask me. We need to generate some sort of interest in the league. Not have a dull monotonous league year in, year out.

i dont think anyone will all of a sudden start supporting the league if its 16 teams either though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    i dont think anyone will all of a sudden start supporting the league if its 16 teams either though.
    It's still better than a 12 or 10 team division.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    The Triumphant Return of Galway United.....
    Founder, President and Sole Member of the Tipperary Galway United Supporters Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    It's still better than a 12 or 10 team division.
    How though? A league with no relegation will be ridiculous the amount of pointless games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Is there a genuine concern amongst Sligo fans about the state of their cashflow/ability to last the season? It seems to me, especially on here, that its Shamrock Rvrs fans that keep on about it(not having a go at Shams so don't be giving off!)
    For once maybe someone will call me "sir" without adding "you're making a scene."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts

Athlone Town - New CEO, nice stand, Chinese about to take over the midlands. Pass

Bohs - Outstanding loans, not sure what story is. Haven't a clue

Bray - Skint. Was worries at start of the season Dodgy

Cork - Nice ground. Big crowds. Steady as she goes Pass

Derry - Continue to do well out of affirmative action, decent crowds, northern. Pass

Dundalk - Look fairly shagged. Dodgy

Drogheda -Seem to be doing well on small money. Have been through the mill before. Pass

Finn Harps - Lack of Interest, poor team, new ground on the way though. Haven't a clue.

Longford Town - Poor interest locally. But tidy ground and seem to be doing well on a budget. Pass

Limerick - Filthy, dirty, rich. Pass

Mervue United - May hang on in there to see what the craic is, don't seem to be stuck. Haven't a clue

SD Galway - Who?? Dodgy

Shelbourne - Disappointing crowds, ground they could be turfed out of at any moment falling down around their arse. Shels though, can't see them going wallop. Haven't a clue.

Shamrock Rovers - Second only to Limerick in the filthy rich stakes. Pass

Sligo - All sorts of dodgy rural type rumours. Personally I think they'll prob be fine but.... Haven't a clue

St. Pats - Would appear to be quite fine. Pass

UCD - State subsidised. Pass

Wexford Youths - Poor crowds, could be affected by dodgy builder gate. Dodgy

From that motley crew, the FAI will imo most likely have to select 16 for a one division LoI. Which will be absolute poison for so many reasons.
    the bolded bits are like the Ireland gameplan under Trap!

11. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    There is not alot we can do when the general public are so dis-interested in our league.

However we should concentrate on the traditional clubs in the country , its pointless trying to bring new clubs in when the clubs with soccer traditions are struggling. That means no more Fingals/Dublin Citys/SD Galways/Kildare Counties. We need to help the clubs struggling that have a chance of survival, that means Finn Harps/Athlone Town/ Waterford/Dundalk. This means the FAI putting real money into the league where it needs it and there lies the problem.

If we could bring these clubs back to a relatively strong position we then have a better chance of a sustainable league. Reality says we will lose more clubs though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

You kind of get the feeling that all logic goes out the window in one sentence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post
    Speculate wildly indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    You kind of get the feeling that all logic goes out the window in one sentence.

In fairness your own players have been complaining about your set up during the season so you can see why people would think its not the best.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    How though? A league with no relegation will be ridiculous the amount of pointless games.
    You could extend the interest with some kind of play off for the last euro place though.

Hard to see past a single division league at this stage. They won't have the balls to suggest anything radical. Something like a two conference system, with play offs for championship, may have some merits/ be worth investigating. Even if the purest in me says a championship should always be a straight league, the current set up of small divisions is failing, and I'm not sure a large single division will work either. On reflection, apart from licencing perhaps the current FAI's regimes biggest failure is to nurture and bring through more clubs (that are already playing in national competitions at underage, and A level).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    Is there a genuine concern amongst Sligo fans about the state of their cashflow/ability to last the season? It seems to me, especially on here, that its Shamrock Rvrs fans that keep on about it(not having a go at Shams so don't be giving off!)
    Ask a Shams fan, they seem to know more than the rest of us about our club.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dean View Post
    There is not alot we can do when the general public are so dis-interested in our league.

However we should concentrate on the traditional clubs in the country , its pointless trying to bring new clubs in when the clubs with soccer traditions are struggling. That means no more Fingals/Dublin Citys/SD Galways/Kildare Counties. We need to help the clubs struggling that have a chance of survival, that means Finn Harps/Athlone Town/ Waterford/Dundalk. This means the FAI putting real money into the league where it needs it and there lies the problem.

If we could bring these clubs back to a relatively strong position we then have a better chance of a sustainable league. Reality says we will lose more clubs though.
    A lot of truth in that post Dixie.
    Too many clubs competing for support and sponsorship in the same geographic area is a major problem. Not saying this was Monaghans only problem.
    I've been supporting Sligo Rovers since the mid 60's and have now seen a lot of clubs go to the wall. But only a serious problem since the introduction of
    new clubs with no real tradition of football in their area and no real chance of long-term sustainability on the horizon.
    Clubs need to be spread out to capture as much genuine support and money as possible. Three LoI clubs in Galway is a classic example.
    Sligo Rovers have, and need, a big support from outside the county. But if for instance, Castlebar Celtic were let into the League, we would lose a lot if not most of our Mayo support thereby causing us problems.
    Cutting the prize money so dramatically is also a big problem. The difference was probably used on junkets to Poland!

We are now competing with EPL/SPL clubs for crowds and the FAI have to step up to the plate and accept and address this with more than just lipservice.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    You could extend the interest with some kind of play off for the last euro place though.

Hard to see past a single division league at this stage. They won't have the balls to suggest anything radical. Something like a two conference system, with play offs for championship, may have some merits/ be worth investigating. Even if the purest in me says a championship should always be a straight league, the current set up of small divisions is failing, and I'm not sure a large single division will work either. On reflection, apart from licencing perhaps the current FAI's regimes biggest failure is to nurture and bring through more clubs (that are already playing in national competitions at underage, and A level).
    I agree with what you've put down Macy and then laugh when I see you call the FAI a regime - after questioning my descriptions of the FG/LAB hell pact

A conference system could work well, especially if it's narrowed to 2 divisions of 10 (each playing 2 rounds in their own division and 1 against the other). The FAI need to think very radical, very different and very non-British. Dead matches (just thinking of the infernal grind to the season's end for Dundalk last year which was like death by a thousand cuts) could be remedied by the top 4 of each conference playing off in full quarterfinals or into a south vs north final. Each club gets almost 30 regular season matches and there is something to play for until the end. Or even the top 6 from each conference play off for the regional title and the chance for the national one.

Ultimately it is, as you (Macy) stated the failure to nurture and build more clubs, not just quick fixes palmed off to a few heavy investors. They can still do this, especially as the economy is at a low point, however it is too much work for them.

And I know I'll be slated for this, but one really positive and progressive element could be added properly by the FAI - a proper League XI with set fixtures. This offers a realistic chance for players to challenge themselves, showcase their talents and have something to aim for. If we're honest, the LOI is akin to a County Board, so make it nice and parochial, get 3-4 League XI matches a year - play Catalonia, other region or pro league selections and make the LOI worth playing in. It can even make money - especially if it's kept clear of Super Cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Ask a Shams fan, they seem to know more than the rest of us about our club.
    Whats the craic with Shams heard an interesting story at work today about expenditure up , crowds down , less members , looking to pay off kenny and council looking to put rent up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinred View Post
    Whats the craic with Shams heard an interesting story at work today about expenditure up , crowds down , less members , looking to pay off kenny and council looking to put rent up.
    What are you asking me for. And on the above dublinred, I wouldnt bother. Just cause they spread bull about us dosent mean we have to bow to their level.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Ye I agree when people say a league without promotion/relegation is a waste of time. Just look at GUFC last season for example their biggest crowd came when they were playing in the relegation play-off, clubs need something like that to keep the local event heads interested. At this point I cant see anything other than 1 league next season but we seriously need to fast track clubs such as Tullamore Town, Cobh Ramblers, Tralee Dynamo's, Fanad United etc into the LOI system....A direct link between all of the leagues would be fantastic for Irish football at all levels.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast