Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: RTE Panel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Even at the age Giles is he is still one of the best football analysts on any station never mind here. I know it can look bad when you don’t know all the players all the time, but something he never gets wrong and that’s in his expertise in the way the game should be played and what professional players should and shouldn’t be doing. Giles knowledge of the game is second to none. Ryle Nugent knows absolutely nothing about football and it shows by the treatment Giles is receiving. It makes absolutely no sense what so ever to bring in younger men to do the job simply because of their age. It really is a sad situation.
    This.

Giles has forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know about it. Get rid of the other two clowns.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    there was footage of the panel's reaction to Robbie Keane's equaliser against Germany in 2002. If anyone finds it, I'd be much obliged
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Even at the age Giles is he is still one of the best football analysts on any station never mind here. I know it can look bad when you don’t know all the players all the time, but something he never gets wrong and that’s in his expertise in the way the game should be played and what professional players should and shouldn’t be doing. Giles knowledge of the game is second to none. Ryle Nugent knows absolutely nothing about football and it shows by the treatment Giles is receiving. It makes absolutely no sense what so ever to bring in younger men to do the job simply because of their age. It really is a sad situation.
    But he has lost touch with the modern game they say! He doesn't know anything about the false number nine, the high press, playing between the lines and the number 10!
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Ye all those things never existed before they are all new and Vardy broke the record of consecutive games to score, Shearer is the all time top scorer and football never existed before sky or the premier league
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Like RaM I have to agree 100% with ya.

I listen to Gilesy on OTB every Thursday and I never ever come away without something learned or enlightening, whether it's an old story or something he saw in a game that us laymen (not posh obvs) missed out on.

To keep Dunphy in this scenario is a crock. And a disgrace.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post

I listen to Gilesy on OTB every Thursday and I never ever come away without something learned or enlightening, whether it's an old story or something he saw in a game that us laymen (not posh obvs) missed out on.

Spot on. I can't understand the criticism of Giles. To me he speaks plainly and in common sense terms about the game and makes a lot of sense. I used to love listening to him as co-commentator during a game. To criticise him because he doesn't know who plays left back for Valencia, or some such, is to miss the point. The point about keeping Dunphy on is that he is, as they would say in TV terms "box office". He gets people talking about whatever rant he has going at any particular time, so that's why he is being kept.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Nobody criticized him for not knowing the names of footballers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Nobody criticized him for not knowing the names of footballers.
    He was being criticised on the basis that because he doesn't know the name of footballers or what a trequartista is.

I would sit all day listening to John talk about Leeds in the 70s than listen to James Richardson and his ilk over-pronounce "Gianluigi".

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I used to love watching him on Channel 4.

Can't understand why Sky Sports never made him the face of their football coverage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Perhaps he didn't want to leave Italy?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I said this elsewhere and similar on here before:
    I always thought Giles was a very good analyst of a game in progress. Able to see stuff that other analysts couldn't.

But his lack of any research ("I don't know too much about this team Bill") which seemed to be something of a badge of honour for him annoyed me a lot. He would still go on stereotypes of teams (like the dour defensive German team) well after they'd changed completely.

17. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post

You say Giles is great and Dunphy a disgrace and yet one of Giles' most commonly used phrases is "I agree with Eamon". Even Gift Grub has picked up on this. Other than on Saipan, the two agree on all aspects of football from attacking every Irish manager since, errr, ummm, John Giles, Ronaldo, style of football, tactics, uncle Tom Cobley and all. It is obvious that Dunphy worships Giles and takes his lead from him on just about everything but says it in a more controversial way to attract attention (e.g. Dunphy threw the pen after the Egyptian game but Giles agreed with everything he said - that is the difference in a nutshell). One is the showman - the other the silent assassin (as regards Irish managers).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    You say Giles is great and Dunphy a disgrace and yet one of Giles' most commonly used phrases is "I agree with Eamon". Even Gift Grub has picked up on this. Other than on Saipan, the two agree on all aspects of football from attacking every Irish manager since, errr, ummm, John Giles, Ronaldo, style of football, tactics, uncle Tom Cobley and all. It is obvious that Dunphy worships Giles and takes his lead from him on just about everything but says it in a more controversial way to attract attention (e.g. Dunphy threw the pen after the Egyptian game but Giles agreed with everything he said - that is the difference in a nutshell). One is the showman - the other the silent assassin (as regards Irish managers).
    Dunphy and Giles are like chalk and cheese if you look at their contributions in the media in general. Look at Dunphy's articles on rte and compare them to Giles on Newstalk for example. They agree on the panel a lot of time - but to be fair they are watching the same thing - one them would lose credibility eventually if they always disagreed.

Listen, I'm no massive fan of the rte panel but if I was creating a list of 3 in preference of who I'd like to get rid of - Giles would be 3 - Dunphy and Brady would both be 1.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    Dunphy very critical of MON's WAG response. Much ado about nothing I think. As Geysir pointed out the answer seemed as much to highlight the silly nature of the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Politically correct Eamo they call him.

Geysir called it perfectly. Unfortunately the masses of dimwits wouldn't get that though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    @eitoof -Respectfully, do you know a lot about the Algerians? Do you reckon Richard Sadlier or Didi Hamann do either?

I shall miss Giles and hope someone else covering our games realises there's a market out there for a commentator who isn't impressed by big reputations and cares not a jot about the next wunderkinds high 80's rating on FIFA16.
    It's only when they're gone...
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

24. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    @eitoof -Respectfully, do you know a lot about the Algerians? Do you reckon Richard Sadlier or Didi Hamann do either?

I shall miss Giles and hope someone else covering our games realises there's a market out there for a commentator who isn't impressed by big reputations and cares not a jot about the next wunderkinds high 80's rating on FIFA16.
    It's only when they're gone...
    Honestly, no. Which is why I'd kinda like the guys previewing the game to have some bit of a clue about what to expect.

I get that Giles has been good in the past at what he does but, and it's only my opinion, I don't particularly enjoy his punditry anymore.

"Formations don't really matter Darragh" doesn't cut it anymore.

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post
    "Formations don't really matter Darragh" doesn't cut it anymore.
    "Formations don't really matter Darragh .....if players don't have the moral courage to get on the ball"

or something similar.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

30. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    "Formations don't really matter Darragh .....if players don't have the moral courage to get on the ball"

or something similar.
    Haha this made me laugh.

32. Thanks From:

Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast