Thread: Refereeing in eL...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts

Refereeing in eL...

Right.

I don't usually give eL referees much stick (as I've refereed myself and know what it's like), but...

The ref (by which I include the linesmen and the fourth official) for the UCD-Cobh game today was quite spectacular. In the one game, he managed to -

1) And this is honest-to-God true, though some of the newer eL fans probably won't believe it's possible! He booked a Cobh player for some random tackle. He was then informed by his fourth official that he'd already booked the player, and consequently sent the player off. After the game, he apparently apologised because it turned out that he hadn't booked yer man after all and so he shouldn't have been sent off. What the hell was the ref recording in his notebook all match?!

2) Ignored a penalty for UCD for a blatant handball in the area.

3) Disallowed what was apparently a perfectly good goal for Cobh (apparently cleared just behind the line, but the linesman gave nothing).

4) Disallowed what was apparently a perfectly good goal for UCD for a dubious offside.

5) Failed to even book Tony Tynan for pushing a UCD player in the face - an automatic red card offence.

6) Failed to book a Cobh player for hauling back a UCD player after he'd been beaten all ends up.

7) Gave a dubious penalty to Cobh (from where I was, it looked as if the tackle was good) - however, if it was a penalty, it was probably a red card as well, but not even a yellow was shown.

All in one game! How is this even remotely possible?! I was talking to various people after the game (Bray official, Alan Cawley (Shels player and Judas), former UCD player and even the St John Ambulance people, and they all commented on the incredible incompetence of the ref.

Someone tell me this was a once-off, because idiots like this can't cost teams (i.e. us in this instance) two points every week...

thecorner
    dont tell me you're surprised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Which ref was it ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Paul Duddy
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Ian Stokes:

At Derry-Shams, he gave Eamonn Doherty a yellow card for kicking the ball away. (it was his second yellow as well)

At Drogs-Derry (2 weeks later), Andy Myler kicked the ball away. He received no yellow.

Maybe he's just a crap referee, but I'm beginning to think that some referees have a definate bias against certain teams.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    dont tell me you're surprised
    Not at any of itself (well, maybe the first), but all seven in one game?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Shocking ref's

Neil Doyle
    Anthony Buttimer.........
    The list goes on

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Question for any referees out there

IN the drawn Dundalk v Drogheda cup game, Dundalk were awarded a penalty for handball on the line. However, the defender was not sent off (afaik) - presumably because the ball was fired in so hard it was not deliberate. But surely it's either (a) deliberate, therefore penalty and red card or (b) not deliberate, therefore no penalty and no red card? Anyone know?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't want to sound OTT, but I believe there is a crisis in eL refeering. Cork City's last two games are a prime example. The incompetence, inability and cowardice shown in just those two games alone is beyond belief. This applies to all the teams equally.

The worst thing is that because of the Euro run, we have seen some excellent officiating from refs and their assistants, working as a team, over the last few weeks.

I know its easy to stand on the sideline and criticise, but these guys have taken the job on, are getting paid for it, yet standards are getting lower and lower all the time. If they don't want the abuse, they should pack it in. Some of these guys are ruining games completely....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have to agree with Patsh. The officials at the Longford v Vaduz game were way better than any i have witnessed in the EL and last night in Inchicore is just a prime example of how bad referees can be. Unfortunately too many people are going home from to many games talking about the ref,linesman instead of the match they have just been to. The real problem is there is no solution in sight so what are we to do?
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy
    last night in Inchicore is just a prime example of how bad referees can be. Unfortunately too many people are going home from to many games talking about the ref,linesman instead of the match they have just been to. The real problem is there is no solution in sight so what are we to do?

all time low in refereeing standards last night imho.
    im still fuming about it..............jaysus ffs the ref was standing right beside barrett

the ref completely bottled it in front of the rovers crowd......afraid to give us the peno........the b@stard......
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 03/08/2004 at 12:46 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    tuite by name tuite by nature
    Copperknob!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Unhappy

Seen penalty incident from Richmond last night on tv & unbeliveable ref didn't give it.

IMO the FAI need to have a serious look at the guidelines for referees. I know they keen on getting younger refs in but thats no good if not properly trained.

The biggest single problem i see from eL refereeing is they are too lenient. Sure its bad when ref blows whistle too much but i think its a lot worse too much leniency given to defenders.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Watched Cork V Waterford, brutal ref. Shams V Longford, stone wall penalty for Town, brutal. Apparantly brutal ref UCD v Cobh, surely something has to be done!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Years ago there were asessors at loads of games. You would even see them at schoolboy games. Where are they now,or have the bad refs become the asessors. I seem to remember that refs were given marks, which were published, for European games. Am I right in this.

We need openness and transparency from the Referees Society. As a schoolboy manager and been involved in the Leinster Senior League I know a lot of refs and I have the utmost rspect for them. But it seems to me that those who ref in the EL are a law unto themselves.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    sadly the sheer stupidity of refs is part and parcel of the EL. Rovers were in europe last year and in the 3 / 4 games i saw with foreign refs the refereeing was 100 times better than in the EL. the EL refereeing standards are a joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. ..........................

Pointless thread as there is nothing can be done about it. All the ref just back into a corner and bury their heads when it is raised. Nothing is actually ever done and nothing ever will be done.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.