Page 179 of 182 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Posted this on his Instagram under a picture of a longer message to the fans.

"This a post to be honest i didn’t envision i would be writing, i was committed to this club, i couldn’t have tried more to show that, all summer the talks i had about extending my deal here seemed to be positive and i got led to believe that would be case, Monday 5 days out from the start of the season, a season where i was honoured to be asked to captain and lead this club forward, i was then told that any new deal was not going to happen as unfortunately i don’t fit the criteria of the new ownerships model as i am over the age of 32 to extend, which left me with the most difficult decision i have had to to make in this game but look thats football, thats life and the new ownership don’t owe me anything.

I don’t want this to come across negative i just felt its important to explain because NO contract was offered or was going to be offered due to the reasons above

This is a club i love and i wish this club all the success in the world"

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I think it’s an exciting move for him. And a mature one on his part. He’ll continue enjoying his football.
    His international career is surely over but he may have felt that anyway after Greece game. 100 caps. Owes us nothing.
    Thanks for some great memories James

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    849 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I think it’s an exciting move for him. And a mature one on his part. He’ll continue enjoying his football.
    His international career is surely over but he may have felt that anyway after Greece game. 100 caps. Owes us nothing.
    Thanks for some great memories James
    Perfectly said
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Got in an online spat with fans questioning the merits of calling up an ageing fourth-tier player.

Interestingly, he agrees with me that League Two is clearly of a higher level than the League of Ireland, and suggests that LOI players aren't worthy of being called up. He also considers the English fourth tier to be of a better standard than the Scottish Premiership, aside from the Old Firm.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ll-up-30848746
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 03/09/2023 at 5:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,319 Posts
    Little surprised at that, the majority of LOI players that have gone over to L1 and L2 clubs haven't looked out of place

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,239 Posts
    They'd be the top players though. And some haven't done great, like Hoban or McGinty

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    hes right. outside of the old firm the spl is god awful.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They'd be the top players though. And some haven't done great, like Hoban or McGinty
    Yes, they're picking out the best LoI players, and those ones often are up to League 1 or League 2 standard. But that doesn't mean the league as a whole is. In fact, with so many of the better players moving over in that way I think the domestic league has gone backwards if anything in the last year. European results would seem to back up that view also.

For what it's worth the next three biggest teams in Scotland after the big two generally find themselves competing with clubs in the top half of League 1 for players. So I think he's got that one wrong, but that will just be down to a lack of knowledge on his part, he's never played in Scotland so, like most supporters of the Glasgow teams, will have next to no understanding of the rest of the league.

As a general point, he should just have kept quiet. As a League 2 player he's exceptionally lucky to be in the squad, it's very rare that we call up any player at that level and I think the current manager is about the only manager who would have done it.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Little surprised at that, the majority of LOI players that have gone over to L1 and L2 clubs haven't looked out of place
    McClean is talking through his rear end - trying to justify a call-up after joining the Ryan Reynolds bandwagon.

I would put the Scottish Premiership at L1 level - and Celtic and Rangers in the Championship. Several LOI clubs I think would acquit themselves well in L2 - certainly better than the Conference (or National League as it is these days)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Yes, they're picking out the best LoI players, and those ones often are up to League 1 or League 2 standard. But that doesn't mean the league as a whole is. In fact, with so many of the better players moving over in that way I think the domestic league has gone backwards if anything in the last year. European results would seem to back up that view also.
    I don't think the LOI has gone backwards - in fact I think the standard of football is improving.

Yes L1 and L2 are poaching players - but lately I think that is down to Brexit which stops under-18s going to England. They end up spending time here before getting poached and I think they contribute to the standard of the LOI. There are quite a few players in the LOI who would fit comfortably into a L1 team. LOI is above the National League and I have spent a fair amount of time looking at it over the years - Wrexham and Notts County were very much the exception to the rule.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    The top teams would probably survive in League 2 alright. The lower teams would be National League at best, the National League as far as I know is a full time professional league. I very much doubt this season's UCD would stay up in it, for example.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The top teams would probably survive in League 2 alright. The lower teams would be National League at best, the National League as far as I know is a full time professional league. I very much doubt this season's UCD would stay up in it, for example.
    UCD wouldn't - but I think most of the rest would be there or thereabouts. All bar a handful of NL clubs get less than 2,500 at their games - and many are down near the 1,000 mark, including Solihull who are in the play-off position at the moment. Oldham and Southend get good crowds but both are in the relegation zone. Most LOI PD teams get bigger crowds than the lowest 10 L2 teams.

There are still a handful of teams who are part-time - or full-time / part-time hybrid. The NL teams do get money from the PL and the EFL - although the big bounce comes in L2 which is worth an extra £1million a year.
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 03/09/2023 at 7:25 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    hes right. outside of the old firm the spl is god awful.
    And even watching the old firm today both teams were nothing to write home about either. Wonder before was it just the atmosphere created by both sets of fans being at the game making it look better than what it is.

Whatever reason they decided to ban away fans for they'd wanna go and sort it out because the atmosphere that was created before was probably the reason why non fans watched the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    retiring from international football..
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...-ireland-duty/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Has announced his imminent retirement from international football. The New Zealand game will be his last in a green shirt. The timing probably right.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Thanks James.

Always gave his best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    legend. always put ireland first and never found wanting for lack of effort. same couldnt be said for a lot of players over the past 10 years. well done james.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Has announced his imminent retirement from international football. The New Zealand game will be his last in a green shirt. The timing probably right.
    I not quite sure I agree with you on the timing. I've no qualms about giving him a testimonial down the road - I've not been his biggest fan in recent years, and I think he's only stayed in the squad because he's a Kenny favourite - but achieving over a hundred caps is some achievement and it deserves to be celebrated. We need to find a viable option at left (wing) back and, assuming he starts a meaningless friendly, it's an opportunity delayed.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I not quite sure I agree with you on the timing. I've no qualms about giving him a testimonial down the road - I've not been his biggest fan in recent years, and I think he's only stayed in the squad because he's a Kenny favourite - but achieving over a hundred caps is some achievement and it deserves to be celebrated. We need to find a viable option at left (wing) back and, assuming he starts a meaningless friendly, it's an opportunity delayed.
    stevens hasnt been reliable and manning cant defend. only other one we had was odowda who got badly exposed in greece. mcclean was our only option for most of kennys time in charge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,638 Posts
    Was never his biggest fan in terms of his talent but a massive fan in terms of his heart, passion, commitment to his country and his principles. A beast of a man. Congrats and well wishes James!

26. Thanks From: