Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Bad day Charlie?

2. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    You are very odd.

Follow the links on here. Then wind your neck in.

https://www.facebook.com/westbromwichalbionofficial
    You'll have to point me to the links that show him turning his back or whatever they call it on an anthem. Just a couple of halfwits posting ira scum on every status.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    In my OP with photo.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Right, a bunch of people from Derry who weren't there either. Look, he might have been making a statement or somebody might just have photographed him looking at the ground. Either way, a photograph and a bunch of nonsense from people on the internet (me included) doesn't make it clear what happened. Either way, I'd remain sceptical until some actual evidence comes out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Starts around 3:30. Although, right after it begins a graphic covers the relevant part of the screen.

It's probably more pertinent to ask why it was played in the first place?

Last edited by The Fly; 19/07/2015 at 12:31 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    See, that's all it needed, he did turn his back. That's all I needed to see, not "it's on social media so it's true". Good on him, I'd turn my back too.

edit: I actually wouldn't as I don't feel that strongly about it but I respect his choice even if it's provocative and not particularly intelligent
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 19/07/2015 at 1:13 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    566 Posts
    Maybe James is Playing his football for a club from the wrong country.

There is lots of countries with lots of clubs.

I don't particularly like God Save the Queen or Poppy wearing (Poppy wearing nazi-asm as it has become) but I am not a professional footballer wanting to be paid by and play for an English/British Club.

if James wants to continue with this (which is entirely his right) then perhaps he would have been better playing his football somewhere other than Britain (Celtic, perhaps)

Imagine for example if Irish Football clubs were doing the equivalents of the English clubs (which they at least sort of don't) and some English fella came over to play and behaved as James does.

"Would it go down well ? ? ?

Or if some English Fella managed to get himself playing for Tyrone Gaa county team (stretching things a bit here) and behaves as James does ; How would that go down.

What is Sauce for the Goose is Sauce for the Gander ! ! ! !

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Non story.
    He bows his head in respect but does not stand for the anthem.
    You can't equate it to Tyrone GAA or even our anthem.
    He's from Derry which was occupied by official British forces that killed innocent people from his community.
    However, if the Irish national anthem were played and an Englishman or an American did what james just did, you know what I'd do?
    Nothing! I wouldn't give a sh1t!

In fact, I'd more so question why the anthem was played. I don't really think it's appropriate for national anthems to be played for a club friendly

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    See, that's all it needed, he did turn his back. That's all I needed to see, not "it's on social media so it's true". Good on him, I'd turn my back too.
    http://www.balls.ie/football/video-d...-anthem/301693

Thanks for the apology though for being wrong.
    Last edited by Wolfman; 19/07/2015 at 9:21 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Why is the British anthem being played in North Carolina? There is your answer. Has anyone here been to North Carolina? I am sure they are very sympathetic to the plight of Irish Catholics in Northern Ireland. A very significant - vocal - part of that state, and surrounding states, proudly claim stock from the Scottish highlands and from Northern Ireland; "Scotch Irish" is what they erroneously call it I believe.

I think it's very suspicious that the English national anthem is played before a friendly that James McClean just happens to be playing in - possibly his first appearance for West Brom - after the firestorm over his signing. Maybe I am reading too much into it..

If the decision to play the anthem was made just to cause another firestorm with McClean to drive him out of the club, then it could turn out to be a very dangerous decision.

There are a lot of idiots in England (and Scotland) who latch on to the nationalist fervor that comes with the poppy appeal. Neil Lennon has been attacked on a football pitch and Anthony Stokes, Darren Kelly & James McClean have been threatened on social media. Aaron Doran, Richie Foran & Gary Deegan off the top of my head have been attacked on the streets of Scotland.

I fear it's a matter of time before something worse happens with the climate that's in it.

If it was me, I would stand for the anthem same as anyone else because I don't feel strongly about it one way or other, but I respect James's position, and it deserves to be respected in kind.

I think it's more pertinent to ask why the anthem was played and whether it was an innocent coincidence, rather than McClean's behavior.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 19/07/2015 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    I've been to both Carolina's, didn't had a problem with being Irish in either of them.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I think it's very suspicious that the English national anthem is played before a friendly that James McClean just happens to be playing in - possibly his first appearance for West Brom - after the firestorm over his signing. Maybe I am reading too much into it..

If the decision to play the anthem was made just to cause another firestorm with McClean to drive him out of the club, then it could turn out to be a very dangerous decision.
    Sweet Lord.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    http://www.balls.ie/football/video-d...-anthem/301693

Thanks for the apology though for being wrong.
    I don't owe you an apology.

You're reading way too much into. They're American - they play the national anthem when five year olds play tag at lunchtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't remember the same apoplexy when a player turned his back on the tricolor during the FAI Cup Final in 2008, or when effigies of Irish politicians are burned every summer in Northern Ireland, or when Irish, Polish and Ivory Coast flags are burned every summer in Northern Ireland, or when grown men in bowler hats and gaudy costumes march in Catholic neighborhoods in campaigns of intimidation in Northern Ireland every summer, or when adults in Northern Ireland paint "K.A.T." (an abbrev for "Kill All Taigs") on their children's foreheads, or when members of the British Army posted pictures of themselves posing questionably in front of murals.

I don't recall any apoplexy at all from Britain's sizable Jewish community after pictures and video were released of Britain's current head of state and her family making some extremely questionable gestures that could be construed as very offensive to certain people all over the world.

IDK... maybe Irish people and Jewish people are just more mature about these things.

I think this could have easily been avoided by simply not playing the anthems or by not starting James McClean (he could have been brought on at any point during the match).

It is no secret that McClean's signing has caused an element of outrage among the West Brom support. The organisation at West Brom should have been on the ball with this. This is just going to get progressively worse now and it is going to cause all concerned an unnecessary headache.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Why is the British anthem being played in North Carolina? There is your answer. Has anyone here been to North Carolina? I am sure they are very sympathetic to the plight of Irish Catholics in Northern Ireland. A very significant - vocal - part of that state, and surrounding states, proudly claim stock from the Scottish highlands and from Northern Ireland; "Scotch Irish" is what they erroneously call it I believe.

There are a lot of idiots in England (and Scotland) who latch on to the nationalist fervor that comes with the poppy appeal. Neil Lennon has been attacked on a football pitch and Anthony Stokes, Darren Kelly & James McClean have been threatened on social media. Aaron Doran, Richie Foran & Gary Deegan off the top of my head have been attacked on the streets of Scotland.

I fear it's a matter of time before something worse happens with the climate that's in it.

If it was me, I would stand for the anthem same as anyone else because I don't feel strongly about it one way or other, but I respect James's position, and it deserves to be respected in kind.

I think it's more pertinent to ask why the anthem was played and whether it was an innocent coincidence, rather than McClean's behavior.
    I've been to NC. Not one wit is given in any real sense about "Irishness". I experienced a complete lack of interest in Ireland. It might surprise you that other people have bigger fish to fry.

GSTQ was played because The Star-Spangled Banner was played. The SSB is played before all MLS games (and O Canada when Canadian teams play).

There is no underlying motive other than Charleston being respectful to a visiting team. That's it.

The bru-ha-ha over it is again the same nationalism that occurs every October/November.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I've been to both Carolina's, didn't had a problem with being Irish in either of them.
    That BBQ tho!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I've been to NC. Not one wit is given in any real sense about "Irishness". I experienced a complete lack of interest in Ireland. It might surprise you that other people have bigger fish to fry.

GSTQ was played because The Star-Spangled Banner was played. The SSB is played before all MLS games (and O Canada when Canadian teams play).

There is no underlying motive other than Charleston being respectful to a visiting team. That's it.

The bru-ha-ha over it is again the same nationalism that occurs every October/November.

That BBQ tho!
    Damn straight! I've spent more time in South Carolina, although not by much. Can't say I notice any difference in how I was treated. Although one waitress in SC did think my accent was from Texas - it didn't offend me though.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    I don't remember the same apoplexy when a player turned his back on the tricolor during the FAI Cup Final in 2008, or when effigies of Irish politicians are burned every summer in Northern Ireland, or when Irish, Polish and Ivory Coast flags are burned every summer in Northern Ireland, or when grown men in bowler hats and gaudy costumes march in Catholic neighborhoods in campaigns of intimidation in Northern Ireland every summer, or when adults in Northern Ireland paint "K.A.T." (an abbrev for "Kill All Taigs") on their children's foreheads, or when members of the British Army posted pictures of themselves posing questionably in front of murals.

I don't recall any apoplexy at all from Britain's sizable Jewish community after pictures and video were released of Britain's current head of state and her family making some extremely questionable gestures that could be construed as very offensive to certain people all over the world.

IDK... maybe Irish people and Jewish people are just more mature about these things.

I think this could have easily been avoided by simply not playing the anthems or by not starting James McClean (he could have been brought on at any point during the match).

It is no secret that McClean's signing has caused an element of outrage among the West Brom support. The organisation at West Brom should have been on the ball with this. This is just going to get progressively worse now and it is going to cause all concerned an unnecessary headache.
    Stop trying to equate marching season in the north with a team in Carolina respectfully playing the national anthem of a visiting side. There's nothing in common.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    McClean could well have just stood there and listened. It's what people do during foreign anthems. He's just unnecessarily drawing attention to himself. We all know he's a Derry nationalist and feels a strong sense of grievance on behalf of his community but I think it was an unnecessary and silly gesture. Not as daft as TOWK's ramblings on the issue mind you.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Tets, I'm equating the outrage over James McClean's innocuous actions with the (lack of) outrage from the same people over all those things I listed. It's the hypocrisy and myopia from a vocal minority of English football fans that irritates me.

I was bemused as to why the South Carolinians were playing the British anthem before a friendly, but now that I have a fuller picture of what went on it appears to be a normality. I didn't see why the British anthem needed to be played and hazarded a guess that it was because people from South Carolina identify and share ideals with British people owing, partly, to a shared lineage, but they would probably play the Italian or German anthem if Charleston were playing Parma or Duisburg.

It's the lack of preparedness from West Brom in failing to see how this could become an issue, and the resultant hatred and vitriol from West Brom fans that grates.

If James's own teammates, manager and club don't have an issue with what he is doing, I don't see how it is any West Brom fan's business. James is getting paid a wage by West Brom, not West Brom fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,323 Posts
    Tets, I'm equating the outrage over James McClean's innocuous actions with the (lack of) outrage from the same people over all those things I listed. It's the hypocrisy and myopia from a vocal minority of English football fans that irritates me.

I was bemused as to why the South Carolinians were playing the British anthem before a friendly, but now that I have a fuller picture of what went on it appears to be a normality. I didn't see why the British anthem needed to be played and hazarded a guess that it was because people from South Carolina identify and share ideals with British people owing, partly, to a shared lineage, but they would probably play the Italian or German anthem if Charleston were playing Parma or Duisburg.

It's the lack of preparedness from West Brom in failing to see how this could become an issue, and the resultant hatred and vitriol from West Brom fans that grates.

If James's own teammates, manager and club don't have an issue with what he is doing, I don't see how it is any West Brom fan's business. James is getting paid a wage by West Brom, not West Brom fans.
    maybe not directly, but they're buying season tickets, jerseys, match programs, etc, all of which pays the staff, management and players, including McClean

30. Thanks From: