Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Fenlon to Hibs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts

Pat Fenlon to Hibs

i think the departure of a LOI legend like Pat Fenlon deserves its own thread instead of being hid amongst the murky world of Bohs finances. From his time as a player through his managerial spells with Shels, Derry and Bohs, the man has made lots of friends and quite a few frenemies along the way and has achieved so much while doing it. The mark of a legend.

The League is losing a good man and a great manager. Cheerio Pat. All the best.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ls...o-2945539.html

YET ANOTHER Irishman leaves these shores to take up the offer of work abroad that's more secure, more rewarding and better paid.

Except this Irishman is not headed for the building sites of Toronto or the bars of Melbourne to find work, instead he's steeling himself for dugout battles at places like Ibrox and Celtic Park.

Pat Fenlon, the most successful manager in Irish football in recent times with eight major trophies on his CV, will agree terms on his exit from Bohemians and seal his move to SPL side Hibernians in the next 24 hours.

And it's likely that the 42-year-old will breathe a sigh of relief to leave behind the financial basket case of League Of Ireland football and move to a job where work conditions are a lot more stable.

Of course the SPL is hardly a model of financial stability - Hibs' city rivals Hearts have not paid their players in weeks and Rangers are drowning in debt.

HIGHS

But after spending a decade of fighting fires and being constantly plagued by financial woes in the league here, Fenlon will surely look forward to the opportunity of working at a club where the players get the wages they are owed, where he's not expected to clean out the dressing rooms and, at the request of the club's board, scour the local business community to try and secure the €1000 from a match sponsor which is needed to pay the wages.

“I think it will be a huge relief for Pat to work at a place like Hibs in a league like the SPL, and I have no doubt that he will be a big success over here,” said Dundee United defender Sean Dillon, who worked under Fenlon in the league-winning Shelbourne side of 2006.

“You look at all that Pat has achieved over the years, all he has won in the game in Ireland, yet that was always against the backdrop of financial problems, hassle over the players' wages and things like that.

“You can only imagine what he could have done if he didn't have all those worries and hassles, and he should get that chance to do his work without financial worries at Hibs.

“It's a huge club with potentially a massive support, they have great facilities and an amazing training ground. Pat will have all that he needs to make a go of it and be a success, I suppose all he has to do now is go out and prove how good he is by winning matches,” Dillon told the Evening |Herald today.

“I knew two sides of Pat from the league back home. I played against his Shels teams when I was at Longford Town and they were always a great side, and then I had a year playing under him. We won the league and I played in every game so it was a great year for me, it was just a pity the way it all finished up,” added Dillon, in reference to the fact that Shels imploded financially just weeks after that 2006 title success, forcing the break-up of the league-winning team as players like Dillon (to Dundee United), Jason Byrne (to Cardiff), Jamie Harris (to Dunfermline) and Colin Hawkins (to Coventry) all left.

In assessing Fenlon's managerial career there are many highs: back to back titles with both Shelbourne and Bohemians, a double win with Bohs, European ventures such as the Reds' win over Hajduk Split. Some lows as well, like his ill-fated stint with Derry City in 2007 and that still-shocking European defeat for Bohs against Welsh side TNS.

INJURY

But for Dillon, Fenlon's man-management has always stood out, especially the 2006 season when Fenlon managed to keep the show on the road in the face of near-collapse due to money problems in the middle of the season. “The whole thing nearly fell apart that summer, around the time we played a Lithuanian team in Europe,” recalls Dillon, currently trying to work his way back into the Dundee United side from a calf injury which has kept him out since August.

“The wages were a constant struggle. You were meant to get paid on a Friday but you'd get some on a Monday then a bit more on Tuesday, the next week you'd get paid on a Wednesday, it was crazy and I'm sure it was very frustrating for Pat.

“But he was always straight with the players, he never once lied to us and the players always appreciated that, not every manager would have backed the players the way he did.”

Dillon has been in Scotland now for five years so has an idea of what Fenlon can expect. “The media side of things here is massive, the papers here have much more coverage and more power, but Pat will deal with that just fine,” says Dillon. “Obviously Hibs are in the bottom half (9th of 12 teams) now so Pat will try and get them up the table, maybe go on a Cup run. Clubs like Hibs will look to push on in the league, try to get to Hampden Park for the Cup final and do well in Europe, and I can see Pat being more than capable of doing that.”

Hibs received permission from Bohemians last night to speak to Fenlon and talks were still ongoing this morning, but with no issue over compensation - Fenlon has a year left on his contract at Bohs but he's able to leave for free - a deal should be completed before tomorrow. Hibs may allow caretaker boss Billy Brown remain in charge for Saturday's SPL game with St Johnstone with Fenlon likely to take full control for their next game, away to Motherwell on Friday week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    He could do a Stephen Kenny and return, time will tell.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    im sure he'll be back at some stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    One of the best managers the league has ever seen.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    He's done well getting a 3.5 year contract in fairness. Gives him some security.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Best of luck to him. Always thought he was a decent skin and a good manager. Wonder would he bring Ndo over there for a season?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Hope he does well, only thing is i backed Hibs at start of season to be relegated, damn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Best of luck to him.

While I don't think he'll be breaking an hegemonys, success there will be judged on a more relative basis.

Given his time at, and reasons for leaving Derry, I'll reserve judgment on exactly he'll do - however, given the above, his success or otherwise should be measured on a more relative scale.

If he has the money to attract the best players from the loi then he might do well. On the other hand given all the best players go to Glasgow, his time at Derry wouldn't inspire confidence on the signing, without an open checkbook, front.

EDIT - Oh and if his hie appointment means even one person supports Hibs over that other shower, then even better, happy days
    Last edited by A N Mouse; 24/11/2011 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I always have had a soft spot for Hibs. Might start supporting Celtic now.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    He could do a Stephen Kenny and return, time will tell.
    Pat Fenlon has managed outside of the Republic of Ireland before, that didn't work out. I wish him all the best in his new role though. Is the LoI losing a good man though? Shels. Bohs.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Pat Fenlon has never managed managed outside of Ireland before.
    Fixed that for you.

How the hell is managing Derry gonna mean anything to him managing Hibs?

I suppose the feel of the cash and the post box colour will be familiar to him from his time on Foyleside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Eh?

I'm not overly fond of the man, but find your assertion that he has managed outside the the ROI, without success, confusing, at best.

Are you refering to his stint as u23 manager? Or in Derry? (In which case your phrasing is - while not inaccurate - particularly poor.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Wonder if he,ll get anyone from Loi over there, I can see him having crack at few of sligo and maybe Derry squad from last year. Then again he could have pick of any player in the league bar rovers with the way this ****ed up country gives out 1 year contracts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan6189 View Post
    Wonder if he,ll get anyone from Loi over there, I can see him having crack at few of sligo and maybe Derry squad from last year. Then again he could have pick of any player in the league bar rovers with the way this ****ed up country gives out 1 year contracts
    You're right. What we need is a return to the good old days of 2002-2007. Bring it on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Pat Fenlon has managed outside of the Republic of Ireland before, that didn't work out. I wish him all the best in his new role though. Is the LoI losing a good man though? Shels. Bohs.
    Fenlon went above and beyond the call of duty as a manager at both Shels and Bohs. At Shels, he paid wages out of his own pocket when Shels were falling apart. It is well known that, at Bohs, there wasnt a day that he wasnt at Dalymount digging in with things that you couldnt imagine many other managers doing like cleaning the stadium, painting and making numerous calls to secure sponsorship etc. I think this shows him to be a good person as well as an excellent manager. Things didnt work out at Derry alright but i think he learnt from it. He's earned and deserves this chance across the water.

16. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's very simplistic to put Fenlon's success down to the chequebook. Most of the top managers do get big budgets at the top clubs because, er, they're the best managers. Mourinho, Villas Boas, etc.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bohs have confirmed he's signed a 2 1/2 year deal until the end of the 2013/14 season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Bohs have confirmed he's signed a 2 1/2 year deal until the end of the 2013/14 season.
    Hibs too.
    http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20...262950_2527235

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Best of luck to him. Always thought he was a decent skin and a good manager. Wonder would he bring Ndo over there for a season?
    Im sure Joe has already booked his flight and will be hanging around easter road

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Eh?

I'm not overly fond of the man, but find your assertion that he has managed outside the the ROI, without success, confusing, at best.

Are you refering to his stint as u23 manager? Or in Derry? (In which case your phrasing is - while not inaccurate - particularly poor.
    i think it was his effort at a pathetic joke. Pat has always manage in the same league, this will be a big test for him. hopefully he gets the time that Kenny didnt and can make his mark. Best of luck to him

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast