Thread: Expectations

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Let's get a bit of perspective here:

June 1990:

Played muck in a muck game against England. Drew.
    Played even worse in an even worse game against Egypt. Drew.
    Played OK against Holland, took advantage of a goalkeeping goof. Drew.
    Played OK against Romania and barely mustered an effort on goal. Drew 0-0.
    Played OK against Italy, had one effort on goal, a Quinn header saved by Zenga.

5 games. 4 draws and a defeat.

Result? National adulation, open top bus rides, full Phoenix park, etc. Not to mention 17 years of economic growth and a property boom.

21 years later.

Played 10, won 6, drawn 3, lost one. 21 points.

Result? Derision.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Look at the sides that 1990 team played though Stutts!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Egypt?

Point partially taken!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just imagine how much the 1990 team could have achieved with Jon Walters in the side.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

June 1990:

Result? National adulation, open top bus rides, full Phoenix park, etc. Not to mention 17 years of economic growth and a property boom.

21 years later.

Result? Derision.
    OMG thats shocking!!!! Names like Mcgrath, Hagi, Gullit, Baresi, Maldini, Hoddle, Lineker, etc etc etc
    Wow

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Were we going "of my God, we don't play pretty football"? England and Egypt were shyte, Romania had Hagi and that was it.

Just saying that wc were happy to accept results over style at least once in the past.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya i agree stutts sure everyone said the style jack charlton adopted was puck football, now they are looking on nostalgically with the thought of qualifying or just another stick to beat the team with as being complete ****e, i think it might just be another vendetta now they look close to qualifying.

I'm not happy with what a lot of Trap does or how we play and why we dont pressure but no one can say its any different to how its always been bar a few years under mccarthy.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    ya i agree stutts sure everyone said the style jack charlton adopted was puck football, now they are looking on nostalgically with the thought of qualifying or just another stick to beat the team with as being complete ****e, i think it might just be another vendetta now they look close to qualifying.

I'm not happy with what a lot of Trap does or how we play and why we dont pressure but no one can say its any different to how its always been bar a few years under mccarthy.
    remember when mccarthy tried tor bring in the 3-5-2?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya thats cos his selection of backs was atrocious
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    The difference between now and then was it seemed inconceivable that we could ever beat England, particularly in our first game at a major championship. No one in Ireland felt we could do it. It helped our national self-confidence and due to the fact that we beat England of all teams, our style of play wasn't seen as an issue, in fact, it showed a uniqueness that we were happy to go along with. The difference between now and then is twofold. Route One Football, while not attractive was entertaining and intimidated most other teams, while today our style is still unattractive, but also not entertaining. The last time I felt we played with passion, purpose and style was the infamous game in Paris. I felt proud, engaged and entertained.

The players today lack the relationship that existed in the past. They players of the past reflected the qualities that we respect in our soccer players - passion, hard workers, playing as one and enjoying themselves along the way. It showed our uniqueness, while today our players are no different from players from every other country.

Blaming the media is wrong, the team have an image problem. One player who reflects the old values that engaged the country is Richard Dunne and outside of that there are not many. He is universally respected in Ireland while many of the other players are not. Hopefully if we qualify for the Euros the team can mend its image and truly leave its mark in Europe.

In this post of course I am referring to Euro 88!
    Last edited by gastric; 13/10/2011 at 11:40 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts

June 1990:

21 years later.

Result? Derision.
    I don't think it's really fair to compare our record in qualification this time around with our performances at the finals back then.

I think most people's criticism of the team is not that we play conservatively, but that we play pretty conservatively against teams we needn't be afraid of. If we were drawn against England and the Dutch in the Euros next year (with, say Montenegro taking the place of Egypt), I don't think people would be too critical of Trap's tactics in those games.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    The difference between now and then was it seemed inconceivable that we could ever beat England, particularly in our first game at a major championship. No one in Ireland felt we could do it. It helped our national self-confidence and due to the fact that we beat England of all teams, our style of play wasn't seen as an issue, in fact, it showed a uniqueness that we were happy to go along with. The difference between now and then is twofold. Route One Football, while not attractive was entertaining and intimidated most other teams, while today our style is still unattractive, but also not entertaining. The last time I felt we played with passion, purpose and style was the infamous game in Paris. I felt proud, engaged and entertained.

The players today lack the relationship that existed in the past. They players of the past reflected the qualities that we respect in our soccer players - passion, hard workers, playing as one and enjoying themselves along the way. It showed our uniqueness, while today our players are no different from players from every other country.

Blaming the media is wrong, the team have an image problem. One player who reflects the old values that engaged the country is Richard Dunne and outside of that there are not many. He is universally respected in Ireland while many of the other players are not. Hopefully if we qualify for the Euros the team can mend its image and truly leave its mark in Europe.

In this post of course I am referring to Euro 88!
    I was at the game and most of the fans thought we would win. The way the game panned out England had by far the better chances (and missed them). We had been on an unbelievable run of victories in friendly games before the England game. So it was not surprise to me (or I'm sure many other fans) when we did win. If we do qualify for 2012( and I believe we will) I think we might actually get to the semi's this time at least. A couple of players stepping up like McCarthy and Mayler could change the entire picture for this team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    I was at the game and most of the fans thought we would win. The way the game panned out England had by far the better chances (and missed them). We had been on an unbelievable run of victories in friendly games before the England game. So it was not surprise to me (or I'm sure many other fans) when we did win. If we do qualify for 2012( and I believe we will) I think we might actually get to the semi's this time at least. A couple of players stepping up like McCarthy and Mayler could change the entire picture for this team.
    Woah, steady on! If the boys manage to beat Estonia, anything out of the group stages in the summer is a massive bonus.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Were we going "of my God, we don't play pretty football"? England and Egypt were shyte, Romania had Hagi and that was it.

Just saying that wc were happy to accept results over style at least once in the past.
    That's wrong, sure that world cup was dire but a lot of those teams could match up to today's sides - maybe not as attacking forces but definitely in the art of defending. Id take that England team over today's. What about Holland, they were pretty good. Yeah Jacks team played dire stuff but then so did must teams back then.
    Please enlighten me what great team we have beaten in the last few years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan
    I don't think it's really fair to compare our record in qualification this time around with our performances at the finals back then.

I think most people's criticism of the team is not that we play conservatively, but that we play pretty conservatively against teams we needn't be afraid of. If we were drawn against England and the Dutch in the Euros next year (with, say Montenegro taking the place of Egypt), I don't think people would be too critical of Trap's tactics in those games.
    Once we get the results, it doesn't matter.

We played this way under Jack, and under Kerr. Not so much under Mick, yet took 6 years to crack the egg. Under Staunton, we played like apprentices.

Trap told us what he thinks of results v performances. Whilst some of the games haven't been the most exciting to watch, the results are/were invaluable. Those results led to yesterday's seeding and good draw. We could be passing the ball around a bit, then lose a group to Greece and get Turkey, as someone else did.
    Last edited by mypost; 14/10/2011 at 7:22 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234