Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Epl 2011/2012

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I agree that he conducted himself with a lot of dignity under difficult circumstances with regards the fans. I don't agree that finishing third or winning the Europa League were particularly significant achievements, given the players at his disposal. This time last year they were beating Barcelona and Bayern Munich to win the Champions League, I don't really understand how you think beating Basel and Benfica is so remarkable in a secondary competition. To be fair the Chelsea players, unappealing as they are, tend to deliver silverware regardless of who's in charge. Anyway, this is pointless, your hard on isn't going to shrink regardless of any logic presented, so we will agree to disagree.
    Exactly as mad as it seems people have different opinions. Some can't accept it others can. Such is life.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Sad to see two more legends retire in addition to Fergie in Scholes and Carragher yesterday. Both proper professionals.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Harper and Owen I presume? It has been a pretty sentimental end to the season. It has the potential to be the most interesting summer in a while in terms of transfers. At this points it's difficult to imagine United, City and Chelsea finishing outside the top 3 next season though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Yes saw Harper getting emotional during the game when the supporters started singing. Another great pro.
    Lets talk about six baby

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Even in the Europa League run, they stuttered past vastly inferior opposition in Sparta and Steaua, and Rubin to a lesser extent. They needed a late equaliser to avoid defeat at Brentford in the FA Cup and lost the World Club Final. He lost ten games in charge altogether and failed to win twenty which I think it quite a lot. Finishing with a trophy is always going to put a nicer gloss on things and, to be fair, they did have some impressive league results near the end as well.
    Well they did stutteragainst Steaua, Sparta and Rubin and they were not playing very fluid football in those games. But in their whole run to the final they were only behind on aggregate once against Steaua after the first leg (the were also level but losing on away goals at a stage against Steaua in the second leg), in all the other games they took the lead and were never behind. At times teams pushed them close, especially Rubin at the end in Moscow, but they had done the hard work in most of those ties early on.

You say that he lost 10 and didn't win 20 games - is this both league and cup games? Because I have him (w-d-l) at 28-10-10 overall and 15-6-5 in PL only matches (with Di Matteo at 11-4-6 overall and 7-3-2 in the PL), but that's just a quick on-paper calculation so I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    To be fair the tie was practically won against Rubin once they scored over there, certainly when they scored the second. Steaua gave them a serious run for their money though and even Sparta were only a goal away from going through at the end. These are all teams I'd expect Chelsea to beat anyway, that's why I don't think it was a significant achievement. Chelsea are way above Europa League standard.

Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    You say that he lost 10 and didn't win 20 games - is this both league and cup games? Because I have him (w-d-l) at 28-10-10 overall and 15-6-5 in PL only matches (with Di Matteo at 11-4-6 overall and 7-3-2 in the PL), but that's just a quick on-paper calculation so I could be wrong.
    Yeah, all games. I don't see the contradiction, your overall record is exactly the same? Di Matteo's league record is almost identical to Rafa's so, percentage-wise as he only had half the amount of games.

Edit- I am including the 10 defeats in the 20 not won of course.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Ah I thought you meant failed to win 20, as in his number of wins didn't exceed 20.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I've no firm opinion on the topic, but that's a great exchange of views above. Well done lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Poor old Tony P just got handed his P45 from Stoke. The ball boys will be happy i'd imagine!
    Last edited by KK77; 21/05/2013 at 2:29 PM.
    Lets talk about six baby

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Poor old Tony P just got handed his P45 from Stoke. The ball boys will be happy i'd imagine!
    Another club with illusions of grandeur. Pullis has done a good job there but obviously the Chairman wants to kick on from the middle to lower middle reaches of the EPL. Fair enough but Stoke are probably a Championship club with bigger clubs like Notts Forest, Sheff Wed, Derby C, Leeds U and others envious of their achievements in the EPL. There's an old adage "be careful what you wish for" and I wouldn't be surprised if Stoke are relegated next season but then again....it's a funny old game.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Another club with illusions of grandeur. Pullis has done a good job there but obviously the Chairman wants to kick on from the middle to lower middle reaches of the EPL. Fair enough but Stoke are probably a Championship club with bigger clubs like Notts Forest, Sheff Wed, Derby C, Leeds U and others envious of their achievements in the EPL. There's an old adage "be careful what you wish for" and I wouldn't be surprised if Stoke are relegated next season but then again....it's a funny old game.
    I heard that the chairman is packing it in at Stoke as well. How true i don't know.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Rafa for Everton KK?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Rafa for Everton KK?
    I'd say Stubbs or Phil Neville. The cheap option.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Serious lack of experience there. Everton is probably the biggest available job if Benitez wants to remain in England, assuming Pellegrini and Mourinho go to City and Chelsea.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except based on a recent radio interview he gaVe, there's more chance of him staying with The Chavs...
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 22/05/2013 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Sky reporting Roberto is considering his future in the next 24 hours. Dave Whelan will keep everyone posted. I wonder is he off to Malaga?
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Whelan said on Wednesday afternoon: "I've just had a very constructive meeting with Roberto.

"He was very honest, as always, and put his cards on the table.

"I respect him enormously and, if he says he wants to leave, I won't refuse, but I hope he says he wants to stay here for another year, two years, three years."

"He's got certain things to think about, which I respect. It's not a straightforward yes or no.

"He wants 24 hours to talk to his wife and we'll meet again tomorrow.

"I respect him enormously and, if he says he wants to leave, I won't refuse, but I hope he says he wants to stay here for another year, two years, three years."

Asked if he was optimistic Martinez would decide to remain at Wigan, Whelan added: "With Roberto, I'm always hopeful.

"He likes a challenge and it's a big challenge next year. The Championship is a challenge and we are in Europe as well. We'll need to add to the squad and there is a lot to do.

"He wants 24 hours, which I think is right, and we'll have his decision tomorrow. Whatever decision he makes, I will respect it."
    Lets talk about six baby

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    His wife getting involved again. This never ends well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    i wouldnt have picked Martinez as my first choice replacement for Moyes but hearing rumours regarding one of or a combination of Neville/Stubbs/David Weir is making me quickly revisit my perspective on Martinez! Mackay and Laudrup were my preferred choices with a glance towards Gus Poyet...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    i wouldnt have picked Martinez as my first choice replacement for Moyes but hearing rumours regarding one of or a combination of Neville/Stubbs/David Weir is making me quickly revisit my perspective on Martinez! Mackay and Laudrup were my preferred choices with a glance towards Gus Poyet...
    I heard rumours of Stubbs myself. I suppose time will tell but i can see it being him or Neville myself. Bill will be able to put a spin on it no doubt but at the same time Everton haven't got a lot of cash.
    Lets talk about six baby

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast