Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI live on TV

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Yeah, I got that! I was just pointing out that there's a perfectly good sister facility ready to accommodate us over there. Could have four league teams in Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Not aware of any club asking not to be covered at home and would suggest most/all clubs would jump at the chance.
    Not the case out our way - the fact the game is on TV will have a big impact on our gate, and seen as RTE no longer pay clubs when they broadcast games, that is a hit we can't afford to take. Would imagine some Rovers fans who were in two minds about travelling on Friday will now give it a miss because it is on the moving picture box, and the same for some of our own 'noseys' for want of a better word - people who might have considered going only because the league champions were in town, but won't bother now
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, I got that! I was just pointing out that there's a perfectly good sister facility ready to accommodate us over there. Could have four league teams in Galway.
    Yeah, sorry. Anyway, we have enough with 2 minnow teams in our backyard, don't need a third thanks! There might be a sister institute over here, but the facilities are not a patch on your own, so between that and the fact it might be too cold and yet for ye (poor dahlings!) over here, ye might as well stay put ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Not the case out our way - the fact the game is on TV will have a big impact on our gate, and seen as RTE no longer pay clubs when they broadcast games, that is a hit we can't afford to take. Would imagine some Rovers fans who were in two minds about travelling on Friday will now give it a miss because it is on the moving picture box, and the same for some of our own 'noseys' for want of a better word - people who might have considered going only because the league champions were in town, but won't bother now
    fair enough WQB, trust Galway to be different would have thought that game been televised on friday would have positive effect on gates but accept it may not be the case out west. Would TV exposure have any positive impact on future gates ?
    Would this be a fair reflection among LOI clubs ? Dont think presence of television has major impact on crowds at Dalymount (although does lead to some spending most of the game in the bar)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I remember Brian Lennox commenting on that back when he was chairman of City. Definitely had a negative impact on our gates. worse if it rained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    What's the argument for live coverage helping a gate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Are clubs seriously not getting paid for this anymore? Apart from exposure, what is in it for the league clubs if this is the case.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Army
    Don't think any game should be shown on tv better of having a preview show every Thursday and a proper highlights show on Monday compared to that rubbish mns.
    Was watching that Barclays League Preview there lately on Sky. Half an hour of non-stop goals, action, features, and delivers what the average viewer wants. I know it's a Preview show, but it's glossy, snappy, hits the target, and is well put together. It could work well on RTE, if they didn't focus so much on trying to copy MOTD2 for their content. Badly.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I remember Brian Lennox commenting on that back when he was chairman of City. Definitely had a negative impact on our gates. worse if it rained
    El-Pietro, I've only started following City since I moved to the area pretty recently and what I'm about to say may be relevant to other clubs who suffer gate fall-offs when RTE turn up, but fans who stay away because a game is on TV can be fairly judged as fickle I'd say - no insult to them intended. Now fickle people surely can be turned back the other way by incentives on TV nights. Maybe bring a mate for free? That mate then buys a programme, a burger, a drink, does the lotto, or god forbid gets hooked and buys a season ticket one day. Bad crowds don't really affect City as we currently average about 2,000 and offer a great evening out but clubs need to be on their feet marketing wise and always be new/different with little incentives.

I'm ashamed to say I was unaware RTE pay nothing for broadcasting individual games (if this is correct), but clubs surely receive a share of a seasonal deal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Friday, 21 December 2007 12:54

RTÉ Sport’s commitment to the League of Ireland will dramatically increase. From next season (2008), RTÉ Television will broadcast a weekly one-hour highlights programme featuring reports and analysis of that week’s action in the eircom League of Ireland. RTÉ Television’s coverage of live eircom League of Ireland matches will also grow over the term of the contract, culminating with 33 live matches (one-per-week) in the final year of the term – the 2013 season.

I haven't heard any word in a while on this agreement regards the amount of games RTE are showing. When will the live games return to RTE after this weekend?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    End of the summer I think. Same arrangement with Setanta happened last year if I remember correctly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Are clubs seriously not getting paid for this anymore? Apart from exposure, what is in it for the league clubs if this is the case.
    That's what I've been told by someone at United, I'm sure others here closely linked with their clubs can verify

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Same crap as last year then in this case. Show games regularly and then bam. Nothing on a Friday night. People get into routines and I know of some people, and I know we all do, who watch any game that's on the box. now if they were to get into that habit of a a Friday and watch all of the matches surely there comes a point where they realise that they could just head along to a game that's local. If possible. I know that say if we're playing way way away on a Friday and knowing full well that I ain't going to be making it to the game I would rather be in with the dulcet tones of Con and the lads watching a game rather than not.

People are creatures of habit and the more sensible the showing of games are the more likely it will start to help not hinder the games and attendances one day. Keep proceeding with this bull that we have at present where the live games stop suddenly on RTÉ then you are losing out on an audience.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I won't miss RTE's coverage tbh. The coverage of live games is a joke, and the persistence with showing two-minute game highlights 3 days after they are played is an insult to every fan in the league.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Yeah in fairness Monday highlights are a joke. Sunday League for the GAA is at a perfect time. Could they not just record it on a Saturday afternoon. Screen it late on a Saturday evening and repeat it some time on Sunday.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    As far as I know, the league/clubs specifically asked for Monday evening. It's hard to argue with prime time, to be honest. Much better deal than the Football League Show gets on BBC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    The BBC show every Saturday league game played in England, on a Saturday. Sky show highlights of games below the EPL at all sorts of times, including their same night prime time news bulletins.

Dare there be a midweek game, and it's 6-7 days before RTE bother showing highlights of it, if at all. By then, the world has moved on, and the effects of that result may be, and have been, meaningless.

Our situation is akin to "The Sunday Game" being shown on a Wednesday night. The GAA wouldn't stand for that nonsense. Neither should we.
    Last edited by mypost; 27/04/2011 at 10:40 PM.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Except the GAA has bargaining power and we don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Not a good enough excuse. If the will was there, it would be done. You don't wait to see Ireland game coverage 3 days after the team plays, you don't see "The Premiership" shown on a Tuesday. Yet, we're expected to settle for what we have.

As for live coverage, it's the bare minimum.

7.30: Show begins
    7.35: Game starts
    9.25: Game ends
    9.30: Gone. See you Monday.

(if you're not playing that night)

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Personally think Monday @ 7 suits more LOI fans than a late night Friday programme.

Considering RTE resources its just not feasible for games to finish at 9.30 and have all footage edited (without OB units) and on screen that night. Sunday afternoon to Sunday evening for the GAA is completely different
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

21. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast