Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Grealish

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It means they're posing problems that Spurs have to find answers for. Seems fairly intuitive.
    Krosby's asking a lot of questions lately.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    With Grealish starting to really impress at Notts County, perhaps it's time to speculate about the point at which he should be called into the senior squad - I mean if he continues the way he's going, I don't think it's overly optimistic to think he could be in the Villa starting eleven next season and thus a realistic option for the Euro 2016 qualifiers - so should we be aiming to have him in the squad, at least, for the Autumn 2014 games? If so, perhaps a run-out against Serbia in March to blood him into the team might be a good idea..or maybe give him some game time in whatever friendlies we arrange for next summer. Or should we hold out until the March/June 2015 fixtures? Or the Autumn 2015 ties? Or is this one qualifying tournament too early to promote him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    With Grealish starting to really impress at Notts County, perhaps it's time to speculate about the point at which he should be called into the senior squad - I mean if he continues the way he's going, I don't think it's overly optimistic to think he could be in the Villa starting eleven next season and thus a realistic option for the Euro 2016 qualifiers - so should we be aiming to have him in the squad, at least, for the Autumn 2014 games? If so, perhaps a run-out against Serbia in March to blood him into the team might be a good idea..or maybe give him some game time in whatever friendlies we arrange for next summer. Or should we hold out until the March/June 2015 fixtures? Or the Autumn 2015 ties? Or is this one qualifying tournament too early to promote him?
    He's playing in League One.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Depends on the u21 fixures as well, he seems to get along well with Noel King and is becoming an important part of the side. On the other hand, capping him in one of the early qualifiers would tie him to us. Maybe if it's against the group minnows - Faroes/Gibraltar/San Marino?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Trying to tie him to us shouldn't come into it and only serves to put any lingering fears, amongst the likes of us, to rest. There are other players that deserve a run out more than Grealish, he'll get his chance when and if he's ready.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 17/12/2013 at 12:17 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    If Jack really wishes to play for us, then he will do. All the indicators have been that he is very committed to us. He's turned down England a few times and even when he had the little tiff with Paul Doolin, he didn't sulk and decide he wanted out of playing for us. It's positive that there is a strong young Irish contingent at Villa and that he would seem to get on with Noel King.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    True, but his form (and particularly his two goals) in recent weeks would indicate that he is already capable of playing at a higher level and is getting better and better very quickly. The question I pose does rest on him continuing this advancement and breaking into the Villa squad next season, which is, admittedly, not guaranteed, but is definitely a possibility based on his last few appearances.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Trying to tie him to us shouldn't come into it and only serves to put any lingering fears, amongst the likes of us, to rest. There are other players that deserve a run out more than Grealish, he'll get his chance when and if he's ready.

I totally agree that bringing him into the squad quickly should not be an exercise in tying him to us. And certainly there is a number of Irish midfield players currently playing at a higher level than him. But seeing him jink past entire defences twice (in a style that is actually reminiscent of George Best) and tear one of them apart with a peach of a pass definitely raises the possibility of him being ready faster than we had anticipated and leapfrogging some of them over the next eight months, particularly if he starts getting game time at Villa next season. And if this happens, I feel the Irish management should be ready to utilise him at the appropriate point in the Euro 2016 tournament. And with us playing up to six qualifiers next Autumn, it would be great to have him ready for those, even as an impact sub capable of running at those "lesser" but well-organised teams we often have trouble breaking down. So that's why I would consider giving him a run-out against Serbia (maybe thirty minutes) even ahead of some Championship or even Premier League midfielders.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I totally agree that bringing him into the squad quickly should not be an exercise in tying him to us. And certainly there is a number of Irish midfield players currently playing at a higher level than him. But seeing him jink past entire defences twice (in a style that is actually reminiscent of George Best) and tear one of them apart with a peach of a pass definitely raises the possibility of him being ready faster than we had anticipated and leapfrogging some of them over the next eight months, particularly if he starts getting game time at Villa next season. And if this happens, I feel the Irish management should be ready to utilise him at the appropriate point in the Euro 2016 tournament. And with us playing up to six qualifiers next Autumn, it would be great to have him ready for those, even as an impact sub capable of running at those "lesser" but well-organised teams we often have trouble breaking down. So that's why I would consider giving him a run-out against Serbia (maybe thirty minutes) even ahead of some Championship or even Premier League midfielders.
    Paddy McCourt scores similar goals in The Championship and he can't get into the Northern Ireland team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    I too would reserve judgment until he does it at a higher level for longer than a few games (I know youre not suggesting otherwise Sammy). Kid looks good though!

He is slight - as someone commented above - hopefully he doesn't turn out to be the next Richie Partridge...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quality is quality , this lads got it all make no mistake he will be a top player. He may not be ready to be considered after a couple of run outs in the lower leagues but if he gets a chance at Villa he will take it. Then the sky is the limit , he is that good. MON may already be aware of him from his time at Villa.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I too would reserve judgment until he does it at a higher level for longer than a few games (I know youre not suggesting otherwise Sammy). Kid looks good though!

He is slight - as someone commented above - hopefully he doesn't turn out to be the next Richie Partridge...
    I would reserve judgement on his slightness until I see how he copes with bigger players. Some people who look slight turn out to be quite powerful, ie Danny Welbeck, Aaron Ramsey, even a young Gerrard.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I think he is doing fine as he is, there are some disadvantages to bulking up too I think, you can lose some agility.
    As it is he doesn't need to barge past player, he seems to have a knack of unbalancing them, he does that a few
    times in the Notts County video, whether he can do that against better quality defenders remains to be seen
    but it will be worth waiting for if he can.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yes, but he has just gotten his first glimpse of first team action and has impacted dramatically. He looks to be transferring that academy/reserve level ability pretty effortlessly into fixtures for league points, key development moment. He only needs to step up one level to be playing the same standard as some players who start for us presently. Given his age, and the rate of progress he is making, it could well be a fast tracking job into our set up, if not just yet, then hopefully soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...lf-term-report

Who's been the star?
    Andre Boucaud has looked a classy reintroduction to our midfield since Kiwomya brought him back into the side. But it's hard not to heap praise on Callum McGregor – on loan from Celtic – who is our top scorer this season. The jury is out with many with Jack Grealish, but having scored his first two goals in professional football we're starting to see what he's really capable of.

All we want for Christmas is... I can only play it safe and hope we can retain the services of the aforementioned loanees Grealish and McGregor. If they're still with us by the end of the season, then the simple fact is we will not be relegated – he says, fully expecting someone to be bringing this up in May when it all goes the shape of the pear!

Stuart Brothers, Black and White Fanzine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Why doesn't he wear shin guards?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's probably wearing very thin inserts, or they're very low. Nobody ever escaped a broken leg because they were wearing shin pads.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well as defenders seem to fall over before they cab get near him perhaps he does not need them.

Shin guards may actually be counter productive anyway, they may give you a false sense of security.

However in that pick it looks like they have just slipped down, his ankles clearly are not that thick.

YOu can see one here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He's probably wearing very thin inserts, or they're very low. Nobody ever escaped a broken leg because they were wearing shin pads.
    Yep, they're the inserts. Which are tiny in most cases. It's a rule of the game to wear shin protection isn't it?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    So is Kevin Doyle... but yeah I dont think hes ready for a full cap yet
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast