Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 49 of 90 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Grealish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    How was St. Ledger eligible to play for them? Wasn't his grandfather from Carlow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Carlow is in Northern Ireland silly. Ask anyone born in Birmingham ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Did that English lad John Greaveslish play for Aston Villa the other day?
    No, unused sub.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Kerr was a staunch critic of St Ledger's call up.

St Ledger's (infinite) heart for Ireland didn't include having an Irish passport until it was delivered at express speed after Staunton included him in the squad v Germany.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

St Ledger's (infinite) heart for Ireland didn't include having an Irish passport until it was delivered at express speed after Staunton included him in the squad v Germany.
    Kerr had no such qualms about calling up England U20 cap Jon Macken
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Lolz! What does the doc have to say about that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    How was St. Ledger eligible to play for them? Wasn't his grandfather from Carlow?
    Recently moved to Carlow and there is indeed a few St. Ledger's down in Bagenalstown
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Is this the same Kerr, that was pushing for SSL to be called into the under age set up?

It's all academic now, as he's done pretty well for us in the games he's played.

I'm sure you all were celebrating the goals he scored?

How soon ye all forget!

I know my footie, I deal in facts not fiction like others on here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Is this the same Kerr, that was pushing for SSL to be called into the under age set up?

It's all academic now, as he's done pretty well for us in the games he's played.

How soon ye all forget!

I presume you have evidence to back this up?
    And no, hearsay and conjecture are not kinds of evidence
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 15/09/2014 at 9:28 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    If so, and you knew of Ireland's interest, why the wait to get an Irish passport?

How soon ye all forget!
    So to sum up, your preference is for 100% committed players but you'll celebrate players less than 100% committed that do pretty well (subjective) and score goals?

Your insight is invaluable.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

How soon ye all forget!
    Of course we were. Nobody's forgetting your goals and performances, Sean. They were much appreciated.

We're just laughing at the bull you spout on here from time to time. It's a little less appreciated, although still amusing, I'll grant you that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Paul McGrath has joined beanbagsports.com and in his first blog gives his opinion on Villa, Grealish, Keane and Ireland: https://beanbagsports.com/#/news/219...ight-for-villa

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Going by the club's twitter account, Grealish ran the show today for the U21s against Bolton, hitting the bar and having a handful of other chances. Shay Given and Kevin Toner also played, but Graham Burke wasn't in the matchday squad.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Kerr had no such qualms about calling up England U20 cap Jon Macken
    Did you see Kerr on Soccer Republic the other week discussing that? Sounded like he regretted it to me. Basically said he did it out of desperation but wasn't happy with Mackens committment, or words to that effect. Some players will perform well in the green shirt and give their all, because basically they are good professionals. Andy Townsend was a prime example. Doesn't make them Irish though. I know many people disagree and feel that if its in FIFAs rules then it's fair game, beggars can't be choosers etc etc. Wouldn't be my view.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I generally like Kerr - thought he got a raw deal from the FAI - but it's much easier to claim the moral high-ground when not in charge and sniping from the sidelines. I find it difficult to reconcile some of his earlier actions with his later axe-grinding. He happily selected Belfast-born Ger Crossley when he was in charge of the national team, for example, but later criticised the FAI for facilitating and selecting northern-born players in recent years.

What would make these players you mention authentically Irish, in your view? Townsend was exceptionally touched to captain us at USA '94. See the interview below:

SvD stated a few weeks back that he was actually crying in studio after we were knocked out of the 2002 World Cup. (At least, I don't think SvD was joking.) Sure, he was supporting England against us in 1988, but in tandem with the professionalism you mention, there is/was obviously some sense of Irish pride and sentiment there.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I generally like Kerr - thought he got a raw deal from the FAI - but it's much easier to claim the moral high-ground when not in charge and sniping from the sidelines. I find it difficult to reconcile some of his earlier actions with his later axe-grinding. He happily selected Belfast-born Ger Crossley when he was in charge of the national team, for example, but later criticised the FAI for facilitating and selecting northern-born players in recent years.

What would make these players you mention authentically Irish, in your view? Townsend was exceptionally touched to captain us at USA '94. See the interview below:

SvD stated a few weeks back that he was actually crying in studio after we were knocked out of the 2002 World Cup. (At least, I don't think SvD was joking.) Sure, he was supporting England against us in 1988, but in tandem with the professionalism you mention, there is/was obviously some sense of Irish pride and sentiment there.
    One thing I noticed though was "to lead the team out", he didn't say "to lead my country out", mind you
    Wayne Rooney might say the same about England, lol probably not the best example there, but John
    Terry might have said the same thing, But anyway for a player with mixed nationality/eligibility the
    phrase "my country" is not one that describes their nationality accurately, it is more complex than that
    for them.

There are even people who do not live in Manchester who support Man United

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Andy Townsend was a prime example. Doesn't make them Irish though. I know many people disagree and feel that if its in FIFAs rules then it's fair game, beggars can't be choosers etc etc. Wouldn't be my view.
    Amazing comment to be fair. Let's get the microscopes out and start examining our respective DNA levels, and maybe we can come up with who's really Irish and who is not.
    Bottom line my friend is this: Andy Townsend was, and is, a credit to Ireland, and he like a multitude of others deserve mountains of credit for opting to play for the country of their forefathers when surely they took plenty of stick from those around them. It would have been far easier for them to take the easy option and not have to deal with the flak.
    Ireland is not refined to the land mass west of Britain. It is spread across the world in places like America, Australia, Canada and almost every country in between.

Just a question for you: "If say, Paul McGrath's, David O'Leary's or Liam Brady's son (born in England) wanted to pull on the green shirt - you would deny them the chance?
    And then, to follow your logic, you would accept the son of say someone from a far flung land whose mother arrived in Ireland just in time to give birth?
    Strange logic.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

Pretty sure I can remember that - it went back to the ITV studio after the peno shoot out and the itv presenter (gabby yorath i think) asked andy to comment on Ireland losing the shootout - andy started to say the better team lost and just had this gutted look on his face and basically said something to the effect that he needed a moment due to his dissappointment for the team and that ireland were out...which the presenter quickly acknowledged and gave him a few moments and directed questions at the other analyst

Im about 80% the above happened and that it wasnt some strange Andy Townsend crossover in one of my many Gabby Yorath dreams
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't understand the diaspora argument really. A liberal estimate of 10-15% of foreign born players declare for Ireland because it's their first choice, if that.

And since the late 90's, a miniscule amount of foreign born players outside of McGeady & McCarthy (and they shouldn't be lumped in with people like Green & Cox) have actually proven any better than Irish born players.

Look at Anthony Pilkington. Hyped up like David Beckham, makes miniscule impact and is currently back playing the Championship. Now it's Will Buckley. Rinse repeat for the next flavour of the week.

Whatever about Townsend's era but the likes of Richard Stearman and Will Buckley aren't our lord and saviors. England have a well-publicised talent drain. If a player doesn't have a hope of playing for them what difference are they going to make to us?

I don't have much of a problem with young lads at U-19 and under who make a decision and stick with it but even then there is the rigmarole of changing allegiances if they are talented enough.

Page 49 of 90 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast