Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 256 of 387 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,120 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Indeed. Skimmed past that claim by the writer that it was Kearns "who took a case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to ensure he could play for the Republic". Embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Indeed. Skimmed past that claim by the writer that it was Kearns "who took a case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to ensure he could play for the Republic". Embarrassing.
    I didn't even bother with the article. As it's in the Indo I made a presumption it was for the Bellylaugh originally so there's no point other than for me to get angry to read it.

Incidentally, I just read over the CAS judgement there again. It's just breathtaking how flimsy the IFA's argument was from the get-go.

It read in this instance like CAS were admonishing a bold child.

Meanwhile JD was standing behind the teacher (CAS) sticking his tongue out and going "Na na na na na"!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Karim Benzema has drawn criticism from the French far-right over his refusal to sing 'La Marseillaise': http://www.as.com/english/articulo/f...asdenspo_4/Ten

France's far-right National Front party has called for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema to be excluded from the French national side. The political party, led by Marine Le Pen, made the declarations in reaction to Benzema's public comments that "Nobody can make me sing the 'Marseillaise'".

The Madrid player told French radio: "I love the national team - I don't understand how anyone can question that. It's a dream to play for France, but nobody can make me sing. I don't see the problem. [France legend] Zinedine Zidane didn't sing the national anthem either. There are fans in the stadium who don't sing. What's important is that we're united."

Le Pen's sporting advisor, Eric Domard, responded to the striker's words with the following statement: "The National Front condemns this insulting attitude that once again sullies the image of the French national team after the fiascos of the team's revolt at World Cup 2010 and the excesses of some players at Euro 2012."

Furthermore, Domard denounced Benzema's comments as "an inconceivable and unacceptable show of contempt", slamming the player as a "footballing mercenary who earns 1,484 euros an hour".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    John Delaney mentioned the eligibility issue and the prospect of a single all-island team in a feature broadcast by Sky Sports News yesterday:

Delaney also defended the FAI against accusations from Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill that they have poached players born in the North to represent the Republic.

He said: "The way I look upon it is we have never asked anyone to play for us who didn't want to play for us, so the players come and declare.

"That can be historic roots too - players like James McClean and Darron Gibson from Derry, they want to play for the Republic of Ireland, that's what they want to do.

"They may have played underage football for the North - and I'm respectful of that - but ultimately it comes down to the players' choice."

However, Delaney admits he would happy to see a team one day representing the whole of Ireland, as their rugby union colleagues do.

He said: "That's something I would personally like to see. I think anything like that is inextricably linked to a solution for the whole island. I don't think that can happen aside of that."
    Quotes from this article: http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2013...ive-job-offer/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Doing what he does best at 03:25
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Saw this piece by Arthur Duffy on Danny Lafferty in Tuesday's 'Derry Journal': http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/fo...laff-1-4936404

In fact, commenting in a recent feature in the Burnley Matchday Programme, Lafferty was said to be delighted to be making his “mark for both club and country.”

The former Celtic youngster made no secret of the fact that graduating onto the international stage was always on his personal agenda having represented N. Ireland at Schoolboy, Youth and Under-21 levels.

He talked about Derry City and the fact that so many young players had opted to declare for the “South” rather than the “North” during his time as a full-time footballer.

“Derry seems to be a place where people had always been prepared to leave the North and declare for the South - Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy and James McClean - are probably the main three,” said Danny.

“I also could have had the option if I’d wanted it. I could always have chosen to go to the South at a younger age level, but I probably wouldn’t have made the grade at that time,” he maintained.

“Then again, I was never invited to play for the South, whereas with N. Ireland I have always had an involvement from schoolboy level.

“With me, it was never a sectarian thing or anything like that. N. Ireland gave me all my caps at schoolboy and youth level right up, so I felt it would be very disrespectful of me to simply turn my back on the North and then join the South just because of my religion.

“I also met Michael O’Neill when he became the international manager and I knew him from playing in the League of Ireland as he managed Shamrock Rovers. It was Michael who presented me with an opportunity to play at senior international level which has always been one of my ambitions,” continued Danny.

Lafferty was also honest enough to suggest that there was a much better chance of him getting regular international football for the North than there would have been in the South, had he opted to try his luck south of the border.

“I am thoroughly enjoying playing for N. Ireland at the top level. I’m playing for N. Ireland because that’s were I’m from. And I also think it’s good that I am another Catholic playing for the senior team. Thankfully, both politics and football have moved forward and I’m delighted to be a part of that as well.”

Lafferty’s commitment to the Northern Ireland cause has seen him sign-up as an IFA Ambassador for the “Football For All” Project, which uses the sport to promote peace and reconciliation and bring together both sides of the religious divide. And Danny was back in his home town earlier this year to promote the project in the company of his N. Ireland boss.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, dunno how good he is but mentioned in the context of their game at Blackburn this pm, as the 'big' game of the day cross channel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Was there a Union flag flying officially in Windsor Park the other evening? Looks like it: https://twitter.com/AreWeACountry/st...12298217201664

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Football for all.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You missed the word 'unionists'.

Was there a Union flag flying officially in Windsor Park the other evening? Looks like it: https://twitter.com/AreWeACountry/st...12298217201664

Tbf, as I'm sure Danny knows, the ratio of UJ's to the 'official' flag of the North must be about 100 to 1 in the Six Counties.

City Hall aside, be interesting to know from Northern posters, how many of the latter they've spotted on a regular basis?

On my last visit to Beal-feirste must have seen have seen about 2 or 3, compared to about 500 or so of the main 'fleg'...
    It was the summer mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That's true, but my understanding is that the 'Ulster Banner' is the IFA's official designated or representative flag, as far as FIFA are concerned.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, but Tbf to the IFA that could be a Linfield 'fleg'.

Ironically, as it stands the next Commonwealth Games could start in a stadium with a tricolour (Irish) on its roof...

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I didn't attend the match through the week.

The Union Flag, and a Linfield Flag, are normally flown on the poles in the picture - they are, in my experience, removed for Northern Ireland matches. Can't comment on whether this was an oversight, or a deliberate change in protocol

The "official" flags are flown from poles on the roof of the North Stand - consisting of the National Flag of the visiting team, the "Ulster Banner" and the FIFA flag.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Tbf, as I'm sure Danny knows, the ratio of UJ's to the 'official' flag of the North must be about 100 to 1 in the Six Counties.
    I'm sure Danny also knows that the "official" flag of Northern Ireland is the Union Flag.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Fair enough. But what's the 'b*stardized' Ulster flag for then? If it's not the official 'fleg' of the North?
    Why the other 'fleg', or are Linfield more Brits than the IFA?

And why don't Stormont/the IFA use the St.Patrick's Cross, especially to accommodate all those 'Irish' unionists...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Fair enough. But what's the 'b*stardized' Ulster flag for then? If it's not the official 'fleg' of the North?
    Why the other 'fleg', or are Linfield more Brits than the IFA?

And why don't Stormont/the IFA use the St.Patrick's Cross, especially to accommodate all those 'Irish' unionists...
    The Ulster Banner is the flag "officially" used by the Irish Football Association for International games - a change to the Cross of Saint Patrick would be a good shout - I would have no issues with that at all.

The National Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will proudly be flown, officially, at Linfield home matches until our Membership decide otherwise.

Linfield are not the only Irish League club to officially fly the National Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland at home matches.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Heh, fair answer.
    Am bemused though why the 'Ulster banner' doesn't get more of a look-in, as there seems to be a lot for the North's games these days, but nowhere else in official or public life on the same scale?

Linfield's stance is completely unsurprising, but also that they don't fly both, or does the one undermine the other?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Heh, fair answer.
    Am bemused though why the 'Ulster banner' doesn't get more of a look-in, as there seems to be a lot for the North's games these days, but nowhere else in official or public life on the same scale?

Linfield's stance is completely unsurprising, but also that they don't fly both, or does the one undermine the other?
    The "Ulster Banner" is probably the single most popular flag used by Northern Ireland fans at matches nowadays - when I was a lot younger, it was definately the Union Flag which was most popular.

I guess the Union Flag is more widely used in public life because it is the "official" flag of Northern Ireland - during the "marching season", I still see lots of "Ulster Banners" flying in Unionist areas, throughout Northern Ireland - I suspect this year there will be a lot more Union Flags, given the whole City Hall controversy.

My local Council Buildings have the Union Flag and the Ulster Banner both flying officially.

Linfield FC just fly the Union Flag and a Club Flag - never really thought about why an Ulster Banner is not flown also, to be honest.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yeah, if you see photos of WC '82 & '86, conspicuous by its absence.

Seen a little concentration of the 'banner' round the entrance to the Shankhill, otherwise it was the other 'fleg' Everywhere...but interested the former is more widespread.
    Though clearly you spend more time in unionist areas than I do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Yeah, if you see photos of WC '82 & '86, conspicuous by its absence.

Seen a little concentration of the 'banner' round the entrance to the Shankhill, otherwise it was the other 'fleg' Everywhere...but interested the former is more widespread.
    Though clearly you spend more time in unionist areas than I do!
    I was at the WC Finals in 82 - most of my mates had Ulster Banners with them (myself included) - except the Catholic lad rooming with us - he had a, somewhat embarrassing, bedsheet with "Billy Bingham Bites Yer Bum" scawled on it.

Those were the days when England fans still had lots of Union Flags in their ranks.

I spend time, through work, in both Unionist and Nationalist areas, and see all sorts of flags and symbols - I live in an extremely mixed area, where flags are not flown by the the residents.