Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 224 of 387 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Ha, I just think people will tend to stay in their comfort zone unless conditions are bad enough to rouse them out of it. The current framework is what northerners are used to and it's all they know. I'd be genuinely surprised if there wasn't a certain degree of apprehension amongst some nationalists over a potential move into a whole new and uncertain political set-up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Danny,

While I admire your knowledge on this issue, for me who has not lived in Ireland on a long term basis since 1998. the progress made in the 14 years since, is incredible. The news I remember most from that year was the Omagh bombings. It has to be one of the saddest and most callous events that I ever encountered. The only positive out of this horrific deed was the sense of outrage and desire to see the end of such atrocities. This is why I found the article uplifting and positive as it encapsulated the progress made.

In regards to the peace walls, yes I have seen them first hand and while they are very much a curiousity to the outsider, they do serve their purpose. For me, like the chances of there being a united Irish football team, the peace walls will last well into the future and there is no immediate solution to this problem. This does not affect my feelings of the positive changes occuring.

You mentioned too the discontentment of many working class people in NI, much of this is due to the economic situation being exploited by extremists, something I have been told is occuring in Donegal villages close to the border too, and the souce of my information is a man who has experienced it. I really don't see any desire to return to the old ways and while extremists are a real issue, their support is symptomatic of the present recession and the associated frustration and lack of hope that exists in many communities, as much as a real commitment to extreme politics. Maybe, I am showing my naivety again on this issue, but I felt compelled to express it anyhow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I've just had a belated look at the papers and noticed that Paul Rowan has a piece on the front page of The Sunday Times titled 'O'Neill confident of landing another Northern convert.

The first paragraph reads -

Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill has revealed he is confident of persuading another promising young Irish talent to switch from the Republic to play for Northern Ireland. "I have worked long and hard on a young player currently - I can't give you his name - who is eligible to play for Northern Ireland and has played for the Republic of Ireland at under-age level," O'Neill said. "Hopefully he will look at that situation and say he is better representing Northern Ireland. he has that option to do that."

Rowan goes on to write that it is believed that O'Neill may be referring to Sean Scannell of Huddersfield town, whose father hails from Armagh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Interesting considering Scannell last played for us at under-21 level four months ago and was a member of our senior squad for the friendly against Serbia in 2008. It will be a bit more difficult for NI fans to claim Scannell is surplus to our requirements, just like Patrick McEleney recently, whom Noel King pleaded to stick with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    You mentioned too the discontentment of many working class people in NI, much of this is due to the economic situation being exploited by extremists, something I have been told is occuring in Donegal villages close to the border too, and the souce of my information is a man who has experienced it.
    What are you referring to exactly in relation to the Donegal villages close to the border? Cross-border robberies?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    No Danny, sorry I probably needed to be more explicit, young people being exploited by extremists and becoming involved in drug dealing. The man I am referring to was relieved to get his 16 year old to Australia such was his worry for his son's future. Teenagers are so bored and disillusioned that becoming involved in such behaviour gives them some money and a sense of worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I've just had a belated look at the papers and noticed that Paul Rowan has a piece on the front page of The Sunday Times titled 'O'Neill confident of landing another Northern convert.

The first paragraph reads -

Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill has revealed he is confident of persuading another promising young Irish talent to switch from the Republic to play for Northern Ireland. "I have worked long and hard on a young player currently - I can't give you his name - who is eligible to play for Northern Ireland and has played for the Republic of Ireland at under-age level," O'Neill said. "Hopefully he will look at that situation and say he is better representing Northern Ireland. he has that option to do that."

Rowan goes on to write that it is believed that O'Neill may be referring to Sean Scannell of Huddersfield town, whose father hails from Armagh.
    A similar article appeared in the Sindo and it mentioned Pilkington.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    I wonder how Michael O'Neill convinces players they are better representing the North? Is it along the lines of "you're a good player but not good enough to play for Ireland"?

Anyhows Michael O'Neill position as the North's manager must be under threat? No wins since his appointment, and ending 2012 with another disappointing home draw against "beatable" opposition which was topped off with two of his players getting yellow cards for diving. Presumably O'Neill isn't using on-the-field performances to sell the North to potential recruits.
    Last edited by ifk101; 19/11/2012 at 6:58 AM.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I wonder how Michael O'Neill convinces players they are better representing the North? Is it along the lines of "you're a good player but not good enough to play for Ireland"?

Anyhows Michael O'Neill position as the North's manager must be under threat?
    I'd imagine that's exactly how O'Neill is trying to lure eligible players to switch from the FAI to the IFA.

I believe his position is safe, at least until the end of this campaign.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    No Danny, sorry I probably needed to be more explicit, young people being exploited by extremists and becoming involved in drug dealing. The man I am referring to was relieved to get his 16 year old to Australia such was his worry for his son's future. Teenagers are so bored and disillusioned that becoming involved in such behaviour gives them some money and a sense of worth.
    Ah, I see. Might it be overly nosy of me to ask which border village he was from? My parents live in one of the Donegal border villages outside of Derry and my mother tells me of ketamine and other drugs sweeping through the village in hushed, foreboding tones.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Is he eligible for NI too? He doesn't appear interested in representing us; is there reason to suggest he'd be more willing to represent NI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    For me, like the chances of there being a united Irish football team, the peace walls will last well into the future and there is no immediate solution to this problem....
    gastric,

There is a United Irish football team - it is that which represents the FAI. Players born anywhere on this island are eligible to play for the FAI representative sides.

So, there is no "problem" in that regard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    In other news, bronze is the new gold.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I'd imagine that's exactly how O'Neill is trying to lure eligible players to switch from the FAI to the IFA.

I believe his position is safe, at least until the end of this campaign.
    Yes, he seems to be doing mainly as good a job as Worthington. He almost make Trap look successful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    He almost make Trap look successful.
    We only pay him about 10% of what Trap trousers.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    gastric,

There is a United Irish football team - it is that which represents the FAI. Players born anywhere on this island are eligible to play for the FAI representative sides.

So, there is no "problem" in that regard.
    Stop nitpicking, you know exactlly what I was saying!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    If I'm reading you right, you seek a denial of choice for players born on this island?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I dunno, NB might think it would be nice and progressive if Ireland rejoined the UK and we all had a big, happy UK team with lovely royal blue jerseys - pink fluff round the collars and all - but you'd rightly feel he was trying to insult you if he started telling you it was what you should be striving for. Or am I wrong?

(By the way, I don't really think you believe that, NB. Just trying to make a point for gastric as he seems to have difficulty getting his head around the position of NI fans.)

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    We only pay him about 10% of what Trap trousers.
    So '10%' of the 'success'?

Though to be fair in terms of points gained, the IFA may well get better value...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I dunno, NB might think it would be nice and progressive if Ireland rejoined the UK and we all had a big, happy UK team with lovely royal blue jerseys - pink fluff round the collars and all - but you'd rightly feel he was trying to insult you if he started telling you it was what you should be striving for. Or am I wrong?

(By the way, I don't really think you believe that, NB. Just trying to make a point for gastric as he seems to have difficulty getting his head around the position of NI fans.)
    I am gulity of using incorrect terms rather than not understanding the position of NI fans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    As a Huddersfield fan, Scannell wouldn't be a big loss to the ROI. And if he wants to play internationally, good luck to him with NI. He's good, great at times, but not good enough really (too often lazy and inconsistent!) to be an EPL regular, would be the views of most Town fans.
    He's a team-mate of Oliver Norwood now, also, who may have had a word.
    Last edited by Yard of Pace; 19/11/2012 at 10:43 PM.